The online racing simulator
Scirocco September 2013
(101 posts, started )
Quote from Kid222 :What is the point of this thread? Is it really that time again..?

It was supposed to be lighthearted non serious but I'm going to adjust my tone on the development of LFS completely here. *patiently awaits when "the time is again"*.
jopapuba, sorry maybe here is copyright. I forgot to ask you.

So, can I use it in my signature ?
Quote from Frunze118 :jopapuba, sorry maybe here is copyright. I forgot to ask you.

So, can I use it in my signature ?

of course....
it is my pleasure....
I am being amused:

cargame.nl is (unintentionally) going zynical about the current lfs-situatuion:

Quoting a progress report from the year 2011 is zynical.

I am driving project CARS right now, it´s far from perfect, but there you get new cars and tracks and physics and stuff week by week.

How sick are we, to discuss the stupid scirocco any more at all?

It won´t save LFS even if it came out with Rockingham and new tyre-physics tomorrow... sorry.

Dandy

EDIT: Today we got a new car in CARS, I think it´s a Renault Megane, last week we got a cool small BMW...
Why are you people so stuck on this stupid chick car?
Because it's considered as some sort of a milestone of LFS developement - first real world widely known road car. Everyone hopes it's just the start.
Quote from Dandy Dust :I am driving project CARS right now, it´s far from perfect, but there you get new cars and tracks and physics and stuff week by week.

How sick are we, to discuss the stupid scirocco any more at all?

It won´t save LFS even if it came out with Rockingham and new tyre-physics tomorrow... sorry.

Mmmm.
Almost sounds like you're saying that getting new stuff is more important than the quality of the new (and existing) stuff...?? It was before my time, but I think LFS went through a similar phase of rapid development in the early days, when it was basic/ropey but had enough promise to generate interest.

Personally I don't really give a toss about the Scirocco itself. I agree that this wouldn't "save" LFS.

A new, real, track would be cool though, and updates/fixes to the other tracks are also long overdue. (I have no idea why anyone cares about the car interiors, mind you.) They might revitalise LFS.

But I reckon new tyre physics could make a huge difference and get lots of old blood back in, as well as plenty of new blood...

To be brutally honest, I am pleasantly surprised that LFS hasn't already imploded. Not wishing to slag off the devs here, but progress has been stunningly slow.
Load up your TimeMachine.exe - execute. Set Computer year to 2009.

The release of Scirroco will feel like it's just around the corner.
Hi all!

I am just saying, that ONE car and ONE new track as the new LFS-content,
without any perspective in therms of S3 and therefor a living LFS-community, will not be enought to keep this szene alive, as it once was.

The bad public relations of the DEVS only lead to one conclusion:

There is absolutely no development in the pipeline. That´s the impression I have.

Dany
I'm afrade that Rockingham, Scirocco and the new tire physics are not enough to save LFS.
What I think it needs is to improve on the graphics engine(No, I don't think that the graphics are the most important thing), you can see that people care of graphics a lot, take Lynce's work for example, that makes the game look a lot better, and a lot people like it.
You can see game like Asseto Corsa and Project Cars, which beat LFS's graphics by nearly every aspect(though they need more powerful pc's to run them).
I remember Scawen or someone saying that once S2 is complete and S3 comes out, then S2 will be moddable, maybe that is something that can save LFS, rFactor was pretty popular, and what I think is thanks to it's moddability.
I know that LFS is 3-man project, but I'm sure that if they just asked help(with 3d models or anything at all), there would be people for the community that would be willing to help them.

Not everyone will agree with me, but that's just my opinion on LFS.
Besides the extremely great netcode the BIGGEST SECRET of LFS used to be the livelyhood of the community.

The system of the dedicated servers that can be joined while racing is on and have not to be left between the races (like project CARS) is the REAL great thing about LFS.

Without the people playing in the hundrets not enough servers are active to keep up this incredible feeling of choice, that used to be there some 5 years ago.

I don´t even need better graphics and much...

dandy
Quote from bmwe30m3 :I'm afrade that Rockingham, Scirocco and the new tire physics are not enough to save LFS.
What I think it needs is to improve on the graphics engine(No, I don't think that the graphics are the most important thing), you can see that people care of graphics a lot, take Lynce's work for example, that makes the game look a lot better, and a lot people like it.
You can see game like Asseto Corsa and Project Cars, which beat LFS's graphics by nearly every aspect(though they need more powerful pc's to run them).
I remember Scawen or someone saying that once S2 is complete and S3 comes out, then S2 will be moddable, maybe that is something that can save LFS, rFactor was pretty popular, and what I think is thanks to it's moddability.
I know that LFS is 3-man project, but I'm sure that if they just asked help(with 3d models or anything at all), there would be people for the community that would be willing to help them.

Not everyone will agree with me, but that's just my opinion on LFS.

You are completely right
Do we really need another car? I would rather see more tracks then another car. Okay so it's branded car who really cares. there already 20 cars and only 6 tracks and one glorified parking lot. I understand that it's a 3 man team but is it really hard to make a post or announcement on how things are going or if they are taking a break etc etc. The tire physics and rockingham are good edition in my eyes only the vws seems to be a waste in my opinion.
Quote from Dandy Dust :Besides the extremely great netcode the BIGGEST SECRET of LFS used to be the livelyhood of the community.

The system of the dedicated servers that can be joined while racing is on and have not to be left between the races (like project CARS) is the REAL great thing about LFS.

Without the people playing in the hundrets not enough servers are active to keep up this incredible feeling of choice, that used to be there some 5 years ago.

I don´t even need better graphics and much...

dandy

I agree dandy, also being able to change cars without leaving the server.
I love the server controls/netcode from LFS, it still makes other games laughable.

Still love the game(play it weekly), but the same cars and tracks for the last several years is definitely starting to grind thin.
Quote from 240sxdaniel89 :Do we really need another car? I would rather see more tracks then another car. Okay so it's branded car who really cares. there already 20 cars and only 6 tracks and one glorified parking lot. I understand that it's a 3 man team but is it really hard to make a post or announcement on how things are going or if they are taking a break etc etc. The tire physics and rockingham are good edition in my eyes only the vws seems to be a waste in my opinion.

But the car is already done , is just wating for the physics
My secret theory is, that nothing big is in the oven of the devs.

There is not s3 in the pipeline and the physics, (come on!) are beeing announced for YEARS now, but no beta-testing or anything like that is in question, was never in question.

They are finde with selling a fiew hundret extra licences and that is about it.

They were looking for sponsors in the automibil-industry, but it did not work out all that fine, and now that the game is graphically outdated, there isn´t much that can be done...

I still somehow hope I am absolutely wrong, and they suddenly come up with some S3, content, cars, tracks, Night-vision, ladder-system, stuff & real life events, professional public relations that deserve the name and so on.

But nothing has change, exept a saftey patch and a open all tracks patch in about 6 YEARS! That´s eternal in the computer-gaining-world!

Greetings, dAndy
Sadly I have to somewhat agree to Dandy.

I take myself for being somewhat Naive to believe that something will actually happen in the near future or the well known saying of 'soon' that something might happen..

But i guess I'm just a strong Beliveforspeeder
Quote from Dennis93 :Sadly I have to somewhat agree to Dandy.

I take myself for being somewhat Naive to believe that something will actually happen in the near future or the well known saying of 'soon' that something might happen..

But i guess I'm just a strong Beliveforspeeder

Touché.
I'd like to see these LFS cars in higher resolutions, better looking and much more eye catchy... It should be interesting if devs could announce a contest where community takes already existing lfs car model, modifies it and then the voting for the best model there is - the winner's model is made into LFS as official car model. There needs to be something that attracts people to this game/community as there was some years ago when devs announced hotlap contests and winners got some nice prizes... I may be not the car modeler, but in renders topic there are some awesome lfs car models...
well if one man (Lynce) can do all that work on his own with only some small donations, then what are the dev's playing at? Im over the fact theres been no major update for 5-6 years now, i still enjoy LFS, but its the prospect of actually having this so called "content" they have advertised to us in such a fashion where we still believe its in the woodwork is whats mind baffling. Might i not forget to add they give us progress updates as much as they give us the propper updates!
Let's not forget the main reason why we're here though.
The many competitions that varies in competitiveness.

And the whole community behind it, not long ago we had a 24h race hosted where there was a minimum of 3 drivers per car, the event hosted more than 40 cars during Pre Qualification and that sums up well over 100 drivers!

And that's far from all the competitions, I know there are lots of national events, that also hosts near to full grids every race, and people who still enjoy it, sure we lost a few 'good' racers now, but I think there is more than 30 now who does the job as good as they did back in the 'golden days' of LFS. the competition is still VERY high compared to anything else out on the market, any good racer in LFS would make it far in other games or communities, we've seen Hugo, Jesse + many other makes it to the top in iRacing, rFactor, whichever game we're looking at, there is always a familiar name FROM Live For Speed in the top, LFS makes a great foundation for ANY simracer in the business.

So LFS is nowhere near dead, it's just not so up to date.
I think if proper updates come along i don't think whether it's cars or tracks or physics, I just think it's the whole hype about it, that's what people are looking forward to.

To be fair I'm not very bored with any of the combo's in LFS, surely there could be some balancing done now with the TBO and GTR class especially, BUT that's the whole thing to this, to have different restrictions in form of intake restriction or weight, which makes it fun.

None of the tracks in Live For Speed is bad, neither cars, I think you could ask anyone and they wouldn't say outright that 'this car is crap' compared to any other car, I can't even start to count how many bad cars there is in other sims due to broken physics or bad modelling, sure LFS is not the most detailed game out, but it surely is one of the most complete, even though we're not even done yet.

LFS has indeed made a great community, and that's what keeps it running at the minute, the different funny personalities on the forum, the oddballs, trolls, fanboys, techgeeks, coders, programmers, racers, drifters even cruisers make LFS what it is today.

And to be fair, I think LFS' best time is still to come.
Quote from Dennis93 :Let's not forget the main reason why we're here though.

And the whole community behind it, not long ago we had a 24h race hosted where there was a minimum of 3 drivers per car, the event hosted more than 40 cars during Pre Qualification and that sums up well over 100 drivers!

And that's far from all the competitions, I know there are lots of national events, that also hosts near to full grids every race, and people who still enjoy it, sure we lost a few 'good' racers now, but I think there is more than 30 now who does the job as good as they did back in the 'golden days' of LFS. the competition is still VERY high compared to anything else out on the market, any good racer in LFS would make it far in other games or communities, we've seen Hugo, Jesse + many other makes it to the top in iRacing, rFactor, whichever game we're looking at, there is always a familiar name FROM Live For Speed in the top, LFS makes a great foundation for ANY simracer in the business.

I think if proper updates come along i don't think whether it's cars or tracks or physics, I just think it's the whole hype about it, that's what people are looking forward to.

To be fair I'm not very bored with any of the combo's in LFS, surely there could be some balancing done now with the TBO and GTR class especially, BUT that's the whole thing to this, to have different restrictions in form of intake restriction or weight, which makes it fun.

None of the tracks in Live For Speed is bad, neither cars, I think you could ask anyone and they wouldn't say outright that 'this car is crap' compared to any other car, I can't even start to count how many bad cars there is in other sims due to broken physics or bad modelling, sure LFS is not the most detailed game out, but it surely is one of the most complete, even though we're not even done yet.

LFS has indeed made a great community, and that's what keeps it running at the minute, the different funny personalities on the forum, the oddballs, trolls, fanboys, techgeeks, coders, programmers, racers, drifters even cruisers make LFS what it is today.

Dennis I wanna marry you
Quote from Iginla :Dennis I wanna marry you

Sorry i got there first, i have a badly wrapped kebab and he is in love
Quote from Dennis93 :Let's not forget the main reason why we're here though.

u said it ... but still, lfs isnt just there. iracing gives new cars and tracks continuously, rfactor is moddable (and thats reason it wont die ever), ac and pcars just looks so awesome and they get new content all the time too ;(.
Quote from Dandy Dust :My secret theory is, that nothing big is in the oven of the devs.

There is not s3 in the pipeline and the physics, (come on!) are beeing announced for YEARS now, but no beta-testing or anything like that is in question, was never in question.

Wait a minute, how can you be so sure about beta testing? Are you a beta-tester? I can't see anyone named Dandy on the beta-tester list. Plus Flame (or Deko, can't remember) once said that beta testers did test the physics once or twice.

P.S. <3 Dennis

Scirocco September 2013
(101 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG