The online racing simulator
Help! Why am I lagging?
(31 posts, started )
Thank You DavidTiger,

My apologies in advance on my limited knowledge regarding port forwarding, etc.

I already have an exception in windows firewall for LFS.

My router has a firewall so I set up port forwarding for port 63992 for both TCP and UDP as per the LFS manual. I tried running on [AA] Blackwood GTI in UDP mode and made it through about 2 laps before getting spectated. I didn't try in TCP mode because I didn't want to risk getting spectated again and pissing everyone off.

So, did I open the right port and if so, what else should I try?

Thanks for all your help!
If I'm reading this correctly I think that your problem doesn't have to do anything with lagging. If you got spectated for your ping being too high or erratic, that would be a lag problem. If the server spectates you for being idle, it means that it doesn't see you moving at all - it's not receiving position updates from your computer. There has been a discussion on this topic quite some time ago. The issue was supposedly fixed (and AFAIK it cannot even happen with TCP), but maybe there is a similar problem with the LFS' new netcode. I suggest you ask other guys on the server if they can see your car (and if they do, what's happening with it) when you hit the problem again. A replay from the remote side could also be helpful.
MadCat, I will ask next time. I can confirm that depending on which server I'm playing on, shortly before being spectated, all the other participants vehicles on the map stop moving and if I happen to drive past them, I don't see a car but just the name and the lag time (in ms?) idle on the track.
What happens if you drive on LFS.cl Demo ?

(USA Singlehop Chicago hosted).
LFS.cl demo seems to work in TCP mode, but I did get spectated in UDP mode. There is rarely anyone there so I'm not sure how it will work when there are other participants. My lag time (is that the number next to my name in the network window?) is around 50-70ms.

Thank you!
It looks like your problem might be related to this. According to Scawen, LFS will always use UDP packets to send your position to the server, the TCP mode refers only to the server sending other cars' positions back to you via TCP. Some ISPs limit or even block certain UDP traffic. If you have a router, is there any chance you can bypass it and connect the WAN cable directly to your computer?

Help! Why am I lagging?
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG