The online racing simulator
Problem running LFS online, need help please.
Hi everyone, I'm a new member here but I have been playing LFS for a while. Well, this is my problem. I've been playing this game since version P I believe, or whatever came before that and ever since Patch Q or whatever came after that, my online experience has had some problems. I would enter a room, everything would be fine for around 2-5 minutes then the connection bars would all rise to the red zone and it appears that every car would lag out, but when talking to other people it seems like it is me that has lagged out but no one can see my car. I would still appear on the map but when I asked if they could find me, they wouldn't see me at all. I mean, usually the words "LAG" continued by numbers would be on the other cars that have seemed to lag out but I have been told that there is nothing on top of my car and that there is no sign of my car at all except for my yellow dot on the map. I haven't changed anything on my computer since I first got LFS and every since Patch Q it has been like this. Can anyone help me out here, I've been trying to have a decent online game since Q but to no help and this is getting extremely frustrating. Oh btw, I'm running on a 5mbps connection if that would help with anything.
Quote from Jeff13b :Hi everyone, I'm a new member here but I have been playing LFS for a while. Well, this is my problem. I've been playing this game since version P I believe, or whatever came before that and ever since Patch Q or whatever came after that, my online experience has had some problems. I would enter a room, everything would be fine for around 2-5 minutes then the connection bars would all rise to the red zone and it appears that every car would lag out, but when talking to other people it seems like it is me that has lagged out but no one can see my car. I would still appear on the map but when I asked if they could find me, they wouldn't see me at all. I mean, usually the words "LAG" continued by numbers would be on the other cars that have seemed to lag out but I have been told that there is nothing on top of my car and that there is no sign of my car at all except for my yellow dot on the map. I haven't changed anything on my computer since I first got LFS and every since Patch Q it has been like this. Can anyone help me out here, I've been trying to have a decent online game since Q but to no help and this is getting extremely frustrating. Oh btw, I'm running on a 5mbps connection if that would help with anything.

Well it doesnt matter for LFS if you have 512Kbit line or 5Mbit line to the internet.Its all about the quality of your connection not about the speed of your connection.Maybe it got worst then before thats why you get these problems.It happend to me once in my life and it last 1month and there was nothing I could do.
Its just the problem of the currebt ISP providers.They subscribe the line to too many users.
Check first if you get some packet loss or not.
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Check first if you get some packet loss or not.

Sorry to be such a n00b here, but could you explain what that means?
have you by chance installed a router with a firewall ? sounds like you need to check the ports are open required for LFS

Use a program like "pingplotter" www.pingplotter.com and this will show you if you have packet loss or not

Any other changes to your connection or HW that you know of ?

Are you connecting through a wireless device?

SD.
I have not changed anything at all with my computer, and I am not using a wireless connection. About the firewall, what ports are required to be open and how do I do that? As you can see I ain't the brightest when it comes to computers.
you must have the same problem as I do but NOBODY said anything that helped me (no offence) I opened ports and even diabled the internet security and I also have a wireless connection... what to do....
what are the ping times (the numbers in front of the names) on the servers you join?
Quote from SparkyDave :have you by chance installed a router with a firewall ? sounds like you need to check the ports are open required for LFS

Use a program like "pingplotter" www.pingplotter.com and this will show you if you have packet loss or not

Any other changes to your connection or HW that you know of ?

Are you connecting through a wireless device?

SD.

What ports should I forward?

I'm having serious problems with LFS online too, and I can forward them so...

Thanks.
you dont need to forward any ports.. unless you want to run a server
my ping times go from 80 to 190 and that pingplotter thing, many people have suggested opening the ports, and I did all that but no luck

Jtlyk I am trying to make a server on the s2

ps. 100th post me= happy
well.. simply as this, the lower the ping, the lower the chance of getting booted off the server from packetloss
i know that but when I want to host a server, nobody joins and I think there is a problem... because I left LFS running for 3 days straight but nobody joined, and I think that somethings wrong
thats your port problems..
thats a different topic though

about the patch from P till now, that could have been the reason for me too... it was either that, or my sister, and im not sure which, but will find out in just about a month from now
In your network connections, do you have a 1394 connection? I have one on my soundcard (SB Audigy) and it can sometimes cause horrific packet loss in games. Easy solution to that one for me is disable it, since I have no need for that connection type
how do you have an internet connection for your soundcard??

or.. atleast, what kinda purpose does that have?
Quote from Dajmin :In your network connections, do you have a 1394 connection? I have one on my soundcard (SB Audigy) and it can sometimes cause horrific packet loss in games. Easy solution to that one for me is disable it, since I have no need for that connection type

i have never tried that, ill see if it works...
would this be bad?? XD

higest ping i've ever seen

ping of 626 haha XD

BTW disabling the ieee thing didnt do a thing...
Attached images
ahahahahah.JPG
I'd say, its normal, that Brazilian servers have a very high ping.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG