The online racing simulator
Drift score offline
(31 posts, started )
Drift score offline
hi

The other night I was playing online, I join some server and there was a little score thing on the left that gave you drift points.

any chance of getting this offline?

Thanks
with which car?
xrg
why do s2 guys always pick on demo racers? im not a lfs crack whore, i dont own s2 because if you convert the price into south africn rand, its about 30 liters of petrol and at the moment i cant afford that.

one night, in a chat room there was a s2 guy, i ask him if he wanted to drift, but he just went on to say how much better driver he is, because of s2, so i ask him to prove it and join me for a drift, but he left......point is, having s2 dont make you any beter at driving than demo.....you buy s2, not earn it.
Quote from jaco1981 :its about 30 liters of petrol

Sounds like a wonderland to me. I'm hardly getting 15 liters for that price

You don't have to justify yourself for not buying S2. The community itself is thinning away... When I was a demo racer I was not treated that way, I can tell.

Most of the Drift point counters are insim based serverside, as far as I know. You could theoretically start up a multiplayer session with that insim installed and join with your LFS without it going online. That would be a rather complicated way, I know, but I'm not sure if there is anything for the offline LFS.
I made a drift scoring system (see image), but you have to use LFSLapper ('lapper') but you can't use it in proper Single Player mode, although you can use it Multiplayer -> Start New Host -> local -> go.

Just means you can't have AI on track.

Lapper can be downloaded HERE (currently V6.014_012).

The drift scoring system isn't enabled by default; you will have to make some simple changes to the code (using Notepad or other text editor - open file/edit text/save/close file) - to get it working. See HERE on changes to make.

To get lapper to work;

download and install into your LFS directory
get LFS working in local multiplayer mode
type /insim 29999 when into any of the LFS game screens
go to your LFSLapper directory
go into the /bin directory
click (or double click) the LFSLapper.exe file

Go back into LFS and if everything working properly, you will see a 'welcome' message on your screen.

By the by; not everyone is against drifting, cruise, etc. I made this drift scoring add-on for lapper even though I don't (i.e. can't) drift.
Attached images
DriftMeter Scoring Box.jpg
to the 2 gents above, thank you very much

this was the kind of reply i was hoping for, not cross questioning to find out if i crack or hack

@sinanju, the drift score box in the pic, is the one i saw online
It's good to see more LFS players from outside Europe or America!

I've not seen that many from South Africa.

Enjoy your stay, ignore they ney sayers.

Hopefully you can one day join us on S2, so that you can drift on the many drift servers there are.

You know, on S2 you can build layouts on tracks. For example the big autocross parking is often used for drift battles.
Quote from jaco1981 :to the 2 gents above, thank you very much this was the kind of reply i was hoping for, not cross questioning to find out if i crack or hack

@sinanju, the drift score box in the pic, is the one i saw online

You may not have seen it, but I also did a circular drift score system - see HERE.

Also a drift skill scoreboard HERE (based on an idea by Ingolf - for discussion and how scores arrived at, read about it HERE).

I run the circular drift scorer on my server, but slightly different as at the end of each lap it clears the drift scores and then shows the skill score.
Attached images
Circular drift meter showing various scores.jpg
@rockclan - yes i hope so too, planning on getting proper broadband next year jan/feb and will then invest in S2
yes, i watched many videos on youtube and saw a lot of pics with custom layouts

@sinanju - You my friend are awsome
Since sinanju mentioned me, I can confirm that experimenting with the drift scoring concept is quite fun. Even off-line (thanks again sinanju for a big load of help). Hope you get into it jaco1981 and decide to join the fun on-line as well. Good luck with the drifting, and who knows, perhaps it leads straight into some traditional competing along the way...
hehehe, playing it right now, got it to work after a few tries, but, there is always a down side, now i can see how much i suck HAHAHA
drift scoring is awful in every game, it doesn't reward you for doing good drifts and most people that have any idea about drifting know its just a joke and should never be used to judge how good a drift is

so yea just don't use it
Quote from masternick :drift scoring is awful in every game, it doesn't reward you for doing good drifts and most people that have any idea about drifting know its just a joke and should never be used to judge how good a drift is...

My opinion is that any sport (e.g. diving, synchronised swimming, gymnastics, dancing, etc) that relies on a panel of judge's to give their subjective (a subject's personal perspective, feelings, beliefs, or desires) scores rather than on something that can be measured (time, distance, weight, etc) will always be suspect.

Partly that's because there's always the small doubt that the judge's won't be totally impartial (they're only human!), and more importantly, as time goes on, the bar's always being raised (sic!) and newer generations who are probably considered average or above average now, would probably have been classed as exceptional few years back.

I always wonder if Nadia Comaneci would still get perfect 10's for her routines now - I suspect not.

I realise that my drift scoring isn't a perfect answer either, but it is measurable.

My scoring is based on keeping car drifting within certain angles and a minimum speed.
You also have to keep up minimum speed throughout lap or you lose your score. Admittedly these criteria can be changed fairly easily by server admin but the exact same rules are applied to everyone.

Of course, there are people who can exploit these rules more that others to gain an advantage, but the best always do that.

At one time in F1, it wasn't unusual to see drivers having all 4 wheels outside the track (turn 1 at the Austrian A1-Ring anyone?). Of course, that exploit has now (recently) been removed, and drivers are penalised for having more that 2 wheels off track if it gains them an advantage.

The other thing (the main point?) about a drift scoring system is that you don't need a permanent panel of judges always looking at your server to give their opinionated scores.
Yes, drift score is useless in LFS, because you don't earn anything, but then again, nothing you do in LFS earn you anything, there's no credits to buy cars or upgrades ect ect.
The reason I like the drift score, is that I can gauge myself, I run a few laps doing what I have always done, take an average of drift score, then try something else, different breaking points, more steer, less steer, more throttle, and check my average again, then I go and try something else and compare scores again. So now I can see what style works better for me, because self gauging is a massive fail.
its useless because it doesn't score you on so many things that make a good drift

it can't tell the difference between someone taking a good line or a bad line, it ignores transitions, proximity to other cars and walls/clipping points (the line), etc and just judges there speed and angle

jaco1981 using it to judge how well you are drifting will only teach you to drift worse because again it doesn't reward what 99% of drifters consider good drifting
...then call it "powerslide", "rubberburn" or "environmentally-wrong-way-to preserve-earthly-sustainable-development-sport". It is in fact a contribution to the gaming aspect of LFS that is measurable (as sinanju pointed out) and as long as it is entertainment, we do not need to compare to its real-life counterpart. Equally fun for all, even though it does not consider all parameters of a good drift (as if defined by a jury) . Just my thoughts.
Quote from masternick :its useless because it doesn't score you on so many things that make a good drift

it can't tell the difference between someone taking a good line or a bad line, it ignores transitions, proximity to other cars and walls/clipping points (the line), etc and just judges there speed and angle

You are right, I did not even consider this.....but at least it beats just blasting around the track fish tailing
Quote from masternick :its useless because it doesn't score you on so many things that make a good drift

jaco1981 using it to judge how well you are drifting will only teach you to drift worse because again it doesn't reward what 99% of drifters consider good drifting

I totaly agree on this.

When I try to run twin with someone on a drift server, the point drivers are easy to spot: all over the place, unpredictable, and slow :P

A good thing with the scoore thing is car controll, but calling it drifting is calling hockey for art imo xD

Use the point system for controll practise, and then try finding a line around the tracks to maintain a chained drift with just enough angle to pull it off.
It might be wide in slow corners, and narrow at highspeed corners, but it will be fluid

When you then get the opertunity to do this with a friend(or random dude), and you both have the same line around the track, close to eachother, THEN you know the awsome feal of a good twin session

Best of luck in the future of sideways action
Thanks
Quote from jaco1981 :why do s2 guys always pick on demo racers? im not a lfs crack whore, i dont own s2 because if you convert the price into south africn rand, its about 30 liters of petrol and at the moment i cant afford that.

one night, in a chat room there was a s2 guy, i ask him if he wanted to drift, but he just went on to say how much better driver he is, because of s2, so i ask him to prove it and join me for a drift, but he left......point is, having s2 dont make you any beter at driving than demo.....you buy s2, not earn it.

lol man I would buy you an S2 license just for having to deal with some S2 users bullying ya, I went through that as well as a demo driver and it's not very pleasant. It really only comes from a few users like that but not all S2 drivers are that way.

Just the fact that you challenged him and were ready to back up your words while he was the one that couldn't backup his words and then left is all that matters as it shows who was better without even having to get in the car.

Some people in LFS and even in real life are that way and is really sad but no matter who says they are the best, it doesn't mean sh** unless they can prove it.

If you want to battle, pick a car, a track, and a time. I will gladly accept your challenge.
+1

And probably loose
Just did it, no race occoured lol

just an after thought, why not make a little layout (or rob somone else's it matters not, or just edit a track) find out where the governing body for drifting competitions (such as D1 grand prix) says the line for the most points is, then set up some posts on aforementioned line (as in the green ones that you can place with the editor and knock over)
the drift points thing will say your angle, try to get the highest angle and hit all the posts
Then bobs your uncle, you are your own judge :P
Quote from HarryGillman :... set up some posts on aforementioned line (as in the green ones that you can place with the editor and knock over)... try ... hit all the posts...Then bobs your uncle, you are your own judge :P

Alternatively, set up a zone (X,Y location via InSim) at these points (clipping points?) and if you get in that zone with specific speed/angle, the InSim gives you additional points.
Attached images
LFS InSim Clipping Point.png

Drift score offline
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG