The online racing simulator
Which Sim Do You Think Has the Best AI ?
(25 posts, started )
Learning some algorithms for AI driving recently and it got me wondering what methods are used in real time sim racing games. What sim (or semi-sim) do you think has the best AI system? Which one is good at driving fast? Which one is good at bumper to bumper action?

BTW, I read somewhere that LFS used to have adaptive AI, but the feature got removed. What happened?
Nr2003
Enthusia
Some games who were pioneres with the AI was Carmageddon and Destruction Derby.
It seems that most AIs today lack the ability to adapt, aswell as having personalities. The two above had both things, and even today I would say they get high on the list.
Nascar racing 2003 had beast AIs, but they really were retarded when accidents happend.

One of the games with he worst, yet entertaining AIs, Driver! Spent good amount of time playing with those cops.
Quote from The Very End :
It seems that most AIs today lack the ability to adapt, aswell as having personalities.

I always remember my mate gushing over Gran Turismo 4 on his PS2, and how it was the best, most realistic sim ever and had the most amazing AI ever.

I stopped my car on the track and watched the AI smash into the back of me at full speed every lap, with no indication that they even knew I was there.
Quote from Crashgate3 :I always remember my mate gushing over Gran Turismo 4 on his PS2, and how it was the best, most realistic sim ever and had the most amazing AI ever.

I stopped my car on the track and watched the AI smash into the back of me at full speed every lap, with no indication that they even knew I was there.

Aii, GT has awfull AI
It was good at the driving part, but it just did not notice the driver. Very much like LFS today, only that sadly the AI even sucks at the driving part.

Fecks sake, it BRAKE on the oval with slicks cars -.-
How about iRacing?
Quote from The Very End :
...LFS today, only that sadly the AI even sucks at the driving part.

Fecks sake, it BRAKE on the oval with slicks cars -.-

Set it up with a full, AI-only grid on an endurance-length race and leave it going overnight. By the morning the AIs are a lot better, at least at the driving part.
Are you sure? I though they removed the feature of AI's learning.

I have only tried that twice lately, BF1 at Blackwood - everyone stucked in the turn after the long straight, and on FE..hmm 3 og 4, with same result - stuck in gravvel trap.

It was a stable and good setup they were using too.
Quote from The Very End :Are you sure? I though they removed the feature of AI's learning.

Dunno, I've not played it properly in about 2 years....
Only one way to find out! You do a test
Quote from Bose321 :How about iRacing?

I thought that there were not any ai in iracing...
#15 - JJ72
F12012 or shift 2? maybe
The AI in GSC 2012 is great to race.

The best I remember was in GP3/4
I'm starting to see a trend that AI was better before the online became the main part of a game.

Viper Racing had a great skill to avoid you, whatever you were doing (slamming the brakes, driving backwards...).

F1 Challenge had a real fast AIs, though they weren't that agresive attacking you.

Now we have...Forza? It is not that far from LFS IMO
Damn! You are totally right actually! I remember Viper Racing, and it has a great AI. It was challengig, agressive but at same time mannaged to avoid you.
Tor/CrashGate:

When Scawen improved the AI.. They lost the ability to learn. S1 (real S1.. 0.3) AI could learn. I think it was patch Y that removed AI learning (but also made them faster and smarter than they ever could).

Before Patch Y.. the AI had no idea about tyre condition or damage, so would often get stuck. They technically learned the driving line, but they were developed at a point when LFS was much more static.
Forza and viper racing ai are the best by far with viper racing being the cleanest. I've had numerous times in Gran Turismo where I'm pitted into a wall by some maniac ai in a viper or bmw.
Quote from Sueycide_FD :Forza and viper racing ai are the best by far with viper racing being the cleanest. I've had numerous times in Gran Turismo where I'm pitted into a wall by some maniac ai in a viper or bmw.

You know what they say about the BMW drivers? ;D
So to sum it up: If you see an AI in either a Mercedes, BMW or Audi... your going to have a bad time!

And thanks Dawe for explenation.
Quote from The Very End :Damn! You are totally right actually! I remember Viper Racing, and it has a great AI. It was challengig, agressive but at same time mannaged to avoid you.

viper racing also had the ability to add projectiles to your car and was the predecessor to a game I still play today named NASCAR Heat which is full modable, and the AI are actually pretty decent. They will brake if your in the way and go around you.
forza ai is not immune to T1 carnage. Plus you could really struggle to pass a car but once you do they will rarely pass you.
#24 - JJ72
Forza's AI tend to be ultra defensive, to a point it will sacrify a lot of speed just so no one gets pass, what usually happens is the pack keep slowing down each other and the one that got away will pull a huge lead.
Oh god yes especially in the s class and above where cars tend to sparse out in performance abit.

(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG