The online racing simulator
Feature suggestions - leagues.lfs.net
Have an idea for a new feature or an improvement to an existing feature? Post it here!

Be as clear as possible in your post. Try to write full sentences and explain what you mean. If you can try to visualize your idea with a picture.

If certain features need wide discussion, then it should take place in a new thread. I realise this doesn't always happen naturally, so if your post has gone missing, it's probably moved to a new or another thread.
Something that was talked about (and is kinda a Proof of Concept by Karl (The_Angry_Angel) was the ability for the client to parse an MPR (on the client side in JS. Requires modernish browser) for the results, then these can be submitted, along with the MPR uploaded after the fact.

The way I'd envision this implemented was a "upload race/event". This opens a new window. Dragging the MPR(s) to this window places them in the queue, and then you can say "parse". After it's parsed, you can denote which race was qualifying/race (group a/b/c).

After you set this, these results are AJAX'd to the server (and then auto-redirects the master window to the "Process Results" page.)

The window stays open as the MPR actually gets uploaded to the server (take MOE with a GB+ MPR :P). Once MPR is uploaded (via AJAX or normal HTTP POST as a fallback for IE), it does 1 of 2 things:

If older browser uploaded it, take the user to the "Process Results" page which is where the penalties are applied (MPR is parsed server side for this case).

If a newer browser uploaded the MPR, Make an alert saying "Replay uploaded, have you processed results?" which if they haven't, will redirect the parent to the "Process Results" page.. if they have.. then we can close our pop-up window.

It sucks trying to support older browsers with the cool new stuff.. but it's a required step without actually catering to the low hanging fruit (IE7 :S).

My words describe it kinda messily. Maybe I'll mock up a few page demo to show what I mean.
Couple of basic / quick things...

1)
Currently all race results get stored on LFWS anyway, but usually they don't tell the actual race result either due to timeouts (endurance racing) or penalties applied after the race (for causing a collision etc.).

So if we were able to edit those LFSW results (adding / removing laps, penalties) those could be used in a common league database to track
a) individual players over multiple leagues (connection to stats: participation in leagues, wins, podiums etc)
b) simplyfy administration for small leagues without own website so they could generate points from those results (also possible connection to news.lfs as those results could be used there too).

This would increase the value of race histories and spare us to reupload race mprs (I'm thinking of huge ass endurance replays here)...

2)
If a league / server is using the remote a simple link on the league page to it, with a timer to the next event (Most leagues have fixed race dates so those could be entered). This could also give the option to alert / remind all entered drivers via a lfs website for an upcomming event.

3)
Similiar to 2. I tend to forget when a league starts (or forget to check their site / forum section regulary), so an reminder to leagues that I'm interested in would be nice (I know this is not directly related to leagues.lfs.net, but I guess there are plenty of crossovers between sites anyway, see 1).
A great addition to a event database sortish website would be, if for example:

1. Every league organizer team gets an own part on the website. Where they can post stuff about their leagues, and make the results. They should be able to register as organizer to the website, and be approved by moderator/admin, and then be able to add their own events and details to a calender/system, which have to be approved by moderator/admin.

2. To have detailed results per league, season, and organizer. For example organizer A has organised series B in 2008, 2009, 2011 and 2012. That series B would have some nice pages with statistics of all the seasons combined, and so on. Basically a bit advanced spdo DB.

3. What stats should be shown?
- Organizer page, with number of total attendees to their events combined, maybe a thing to rate the organizer.
- Season standings with race winners and fastest lappers.
- Detailed race results with winner, results, all drivers their fastest laps, all who led laps and how long, pitstops, etc.
- Series overall look, season A, B and C top 3 with points and race wins.

Just a few ideas here.
Some kind of application which could automate the creation of pages such as these:

Simple Series Example: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=80102
Complex Single Event Example: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=78374

Also, ability to create a lap leader breakdown automatically like on this link towards the bottom: http://racing-reference.info/r ... _Irwin_Tools_Night_Race/W

This would allow points to be awarded based upon laps lead without alot of work for admins.

Edit: It also would be helpful if the site could limit the avalibility of a server to a set list of lfsworld user names in order to replace the server password method that is used now. Sometimes, this could be very helpful.
Quote from Cornys :Some kind of application which could automate the creation of pages such as these:

Simple Series Example: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=80102
Complex Single Event Example: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=78374

Also, ability to create a lap leader breakdown automatically like on this link towards the bottom: http://racing-reference.info/r ... _Irwin_Tools_Night_Race/W

This would allow points to be awarded based upon laps lead without alot of work for admins.

Edit: It also would be helpful if the site could limit the avalibility of a server to a set list of lfsworld user names in order to replace the server password method that is used now. Sometimes, this could be very helpful.

LFS Stats
Extra download link if none of those work.

What you can get from the stats.

No idea if you have used that but it will save you ample time. For a race with safety cars you might want to double check some of the laps lead during it.

Being able to upload/implement the stats in some form of "Extended results" for a league race would be very helpful though.
Sadly LFSStats has always been a bit buggy, so having it redone won't be so worthles effort as you may think.

Plus it would be the ideal ocasion to add some features, like allow re-conection for time-outs (like endurance insims do), be able to edit the penalties/results...
A few months ago I was building a league system where admins could create leagues, seasons, events and upload the mpr file after each round. The system would then generate championship standings, race results and potentially stats. The admin would be able to give penalties, bonus points, etc if they so wished.

But then I moved country and started working so haven't been able to continue working on it!
Quote from niall09 :A few months ago I was building a league system where admins could create leagues, seasons, events and upload the mpr file after each round. The system would then generate championship standings, race results and potentially stats. The admin would be able to give penalties, bonus points, etc if they so wished.

But then I moved country and started working so haven't been able to continue working on it!

I started on the same thing around 2005-06, be thankful you moved country and found something to stop you spilling the same sort of hours i'd spent on it I'd estimate i'd be close to a full calendar year purely from the hours spent exclusively on content intended for this purpose. It includes a multiple times ive started from scratch, building the LFSProSeries site which did everything your outlined back in 2009, and at least did get 2 seasons from it, and an early attempt that LFS World Series used, but wasnt user friendly enough to be worth continuing with.

I never went public with it because of the scale of the project and uncertainty of whether i'd finish it, but the LFSPS site was basically a test run to see it working under live conditions, with a handful of adjustments to open it up to multiple events not just 1. It then went through an entire redesign/rebuild.

This was my test location for what i was working on, thats as far as i went with it before stopping about a year ago as i felt the community just wasnt there to keep throwing my time at it . Now im restarting the whole project with help from a load of people from a mixture of sim racing backgrounds, building a site for all communities to benefit.
Unfortunately now it looks like the LFS community will have an official site so my original plan of building a site for this community as a Thx to the guys who've managed events i've enjoyed taking part in and help to make it far easier to do so, wont actually be used. Its a better solution to what I/we could offer, but it is a little saddening given the time ive put into trying to fill a hole thats been there for 10yrs and when it looks like i'll be able to offer exactly that, theres an official solution on the cards.
On other thing that may be useful, but others may not think so, is a private admins section where admins can discuss the league privately. Like a mini forum of sorts. This may be a better idea for the forums discussion though.
Quote from PaulC2K :I started on the same thing around 2005-06, be thankful you moved country and found something to stop you spilling the same sort of hours i'd spent on it I'd estimate i'd be close to a full calendar year purely from the hours spent exclusively on content intended for this purpose. It includes a multiple times ive started from scratch, building the LFSProSeries site which did everything your outlined back in 2009, and at least did get 2 seasons from it, and an early attempt that LFS World Series used, but wasnt user friendly enough to be worth continuing with.

I never went public with it because of the scale of the project and uncertainty of whether i'd finish it, but the LFSPS site was basically a test run to see it working under live conditions, with a handful of adjustments to open it up to multiple events not just 1. It then went through an entire redesign/rebuild.

This was my test location for what i was working on, thats as far as i went with it before stopping about a year ago as i felt the community just wasnt there to keep throwing my time at it . Now im restarting the whole project with help from a load of people from a mixture of sim racing backgrounds, building a site for all communities to benefit.
Unfortunately now it looks like the LFS community will have an official site so my original plan of building a site for this community as a Thx to the guys who've managed events i've enjoyed taking part in and help to make it far easier to do so, wont actually be used. Its a better solution to what I/we could offer, but it is a little saddening given the time ive put into trying to fill a hole thats been there for 10yrs and when it looks like i'll be able to offer exactly that, theres an official solution on the cards.

That site is amazing, looks awesome
Quote from Jonathon.provost :That site is amazing, looks awesome

Thanks If only i'd felt the motivation to keep at it, it probably would have been done some time ago, however i dont mind admitting that the coding is poor, theres probably going to be a handful of simple exploitable things in the site which could bring it to its knees if someone really wanted to be a...

This solution from Vic is a far better one for the community, and i dont mind admitting that despite working on similar project still.
an idea that came to my mind would be some sort of an Elo based world ranking for Driver, Teams and Nations. To base it on league racing would be a requirement as it could feature point changes due to penalties and exclusions.
Quote from TFalke55 :an idea that came to my mind would be some sort of an Elo based world ranking for Driver, Teams and Nations. To base it on league racing would be a requirement as it could feature point changes due to penalties and exclusions.

very good.
I actually did the one or the other calculation today, staying close to the original chess calculations with modifications for racing. I think this might work. Below you find the positions explained.

P' := new points
P := old points
T := time since the last race (for example: less or equal with 1 year, T = 1, between 1 and two years, T = 2, and so on)
S := the percentage of the race completed for the team (in case of endurance/team races)
W := weight of the session (for example: W = 10 for drag races and time trails, W = 30 for regular races, W = 60 for endurance races)
E := number of entries
R := result, finishing position
^P := average points

If the difference of ^P and P/T is greater than 400 respectivly -400, 400 respectivly -400 would be used instead of the real difference.

New racers to league racing would start with a points number of 1000, which actually would be done with all racers for the fresh start of the database for a new leagues.lfs.net

For the teams, that would be the sum of all of their drivers, while for nations it would be the average of all nation's drivers.

Maybe one could include the season standings to the this ranking, that it is regarded as "extra round" with a special weight. That would prevent event hopping I guess, as the overall standings also have impact to the world ranking and not only the individual race results. Maybe the standings could get the weight W' = 0.5NW, with N being the number of counting championship rounds and W being the weight of these races.
Attached images
CodeCogsEqn.gif

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG