The online racing simulator
did some driving this weekend, no problems, no disconnects. Did some drifting while a youtube vid was loading in the background, still no visible lag (asked the people online)

But there are less and less drivers on the test servers each day, yesterday at 21:00 (prime time normally) I think only around 5 populated servers. May be a good idea to get the testing done quickly.
-
(Bmxtwins) DELETED by Bmxtwins : cant find quote. doesnt make sense anymore
Quote from Scawen :
As that is Windows, I guess the timeGetTime function is not returning incorrect values. So that suggests the LFS hosts are sometimes not being given CPU time for 6 or more seconds.

Quite possible if these are virtual environments rather than physical servers. Might be worth asking those that are reporting the issue if they are running in a shared or dedicated(physical) environment.
Quote from imthebestracerthereis :I recorded a quick MPR on my drift server (which was 46 seconds long) and when I went back to the replays window it shows the replay as 10:55:36, which is me lagging for the rest of the replay. Apparently LFS doesn't like it when you close it with the red X button.

I tried this, and reproduced it the first time. My replay had that same time (10:55.36) which is 65536 hundredths of a second. But since that first time I haven't been able to reproduce it at all, so I can't catch it in the debugger. So far I have not been able to figure it out by reading the code either.

EDIT : It took a while but is now reproduced. One way to make it happen is, with the host recording the replay, guest presses OK twice very quickly on the entry screen. Then the replay, when saved, will have a length of 10:55.36. It's due to a packet with time 0 getting lost and then saved later when the time 10:55.36 comes up. There may be other ways to make it happen, any time a game packet comes in on the first frame of the race. This is an old bug that came up in 0.6B as well.
I few days ago send the letter you with a hacker. The replay was duration 10:55.36 min. I saved this replay in a moment command /restart from is admin.

I'm sorry for my English.
Quote from ACCAkut :But there are less and less drivers on the test servers each day, yesterday at 21:00 (prime time normally) I think only around 5 populated servers. May be a good idea to get the testing done quickly.

I decided to downgrade friday because otherwise the amount of racers globally still racing would have dropped too much and I have personally not much trust in mailings. If this patch gets released I know what the first reactions are going to be anyway.. Something like; 'is this all, cannot be bothered with this'.. That kind of stuff... Which is totally OK but its important to keep the current active community busy rather then scaring them away with confusion and (it seems; complicated) test updates.

It probably is better in general to release small updates from time to time then one larger one and very long silences after that. Always been a success in the booming years of LFS so incompatible patch after incompatible patch doesn't matter much. This test patch release also shows that server admins are generally very fast in following new situations so why wait that long. The power of immediate perfectionism is very strong here, bit too strong.
Quote from cargame.nl :It probably is better in general to release small updates from time to time then one larger one and very long silences after that. Always been a success in the booming years of LFS so incompatible patch after incompatible patch doesn't matter much. This test patch release also shows that server admins are generally very fast in following new situations so why wait that long. The power of immediate perfectionism is very strong here, bit too strong.

:iagree: I approve this message.
its sad at noon when i want race some. that top 6 server is some cruise nobs or drift.

usualy cargame had some people but no more only evenings it gets little fuller
Got the test patch going strong on my server still no point down-patching again because all of the people who patched will then have to do the same which is just going to cause less players joining rather than more as not many will be bothered to down patch after they have installed the test patch

B8 seems really stable on my servers also getting 20+ connections a day now, i can't seem to report any more errors since B8 everything seems fine, i love the joining and leaving functions being alot quicker, so keep patching or get a release soon after the server switchover, doing a great job LFS Dev's well i say dev's i mean Scawen =)
It's not perfectionism. There is a reason why I couldn't work from last Thursday to Monday (five days) and that is the reason why the "guest lag info" incompatible patch could not come out quickly. But I am going to stop short of explaining every detail of my personal and family life on a public forum. Anyway I'm back on the case now doing those last things and a few fixes. As stated before and no change since, I want this full version out as quickly as possible so I can get back to other things.
Quote from Scawen :I am going to stop short of explaining every detail of my personal and family life on a public forum.

Scawen, No one is with sense of decency is asking that. Players are just enthusiastic about your work. From many here it's like a drug and they crave more. Nice work on the patch.
I was hoping to get the full version out before last Thursday. But it is clear that people really do want that lag info thing. Also genuine bugs came up - not always easy to solve. What looks like it should be five minutes work can be half a day or longer to solve the underlying issue completely. So this is why the testing stage goes on a bit. A test patching period can never be short enough to keep everyone happy. It will always divide the community for a while. Releasing bug ridden and incomplete official versions to reduce the divided community testing period is not the solution!
It certainly is a difficult balancing act, but no one can complain about the quality of (TEST) releases given your QA record to date.
Quote from Scawen :I was hoping to get the full version out before last Thursday. But it is clear that people really do want that lag info thing. Also genuine bugs came up - not always easy to solve. What looks like it should be five minutes work can be half a day or longer to solve the underlying issue completely. So this is why the testing stage goes on a bit. A test patching period can never be short enough to keep everyone happy. It will always divide the community for a while. Releasing bug ridden and incomplete official versions to reduce the divided community testing period is not the solution!

i would have you rather work on it for a full week and have it bug free than just pop it out to early to find all these bugs in a stable patch, so keep on trucking scawen your doing an awesome job!
Quote from Scawen :It's not perfectionism. There is a reason why I couldn't work from last Thursday to Monday (five days) and that is the reason why the "guest lag info" incompatible patch could not come out quickly. But I am going to stop short of explaining every detail of my personal and family life on a public forum. Anyway I'm back on the case now doing those last things and a few fixes. As stated before and no change since, I want this full version out as quickly as possible so I can get back to other things.

I certainly do not expect perfection nor an explanation of your personal and family life. If that is the impression I have given to you OR the rest of the community that was not the intentions.

I am merely asking for some detailed information regarding the progress of the tyre physics and content updates for LFS. I know it would seem pointless to make a report with technical data and such, but alot of us are interested in what is involved with the physics aswell as the status. Not trying to beat this to death, but several years since the announcement and we still don't have any detail information as to what is exactly being worked on other than "tyre physics" and a few issues that are being worked out.

Are you working on road surface issues, is it still a matter of speeding up the calculations in real time, or is it another undisclosed issue we have not heard about yet?

IMHO, Most of use just want to know a little more information about what these physics changes are going to involve. It would allow us to do some research and learn more about the physics and possibly prepare to adjust to the changes.

I appreciate all the work and time that the devs put into this simulator, just hate to see it taking this long to move forward. I have been a LFS Fan since I found the demo back in 2006. Just hard to believe 6 years has past and there have been 0 major improvements to bring in more players.
#140 - kdo
Hi, i was playing with 0.6B8 since it's released and it didn't crash or got any bug. By the way, i would thank the devs for their work on LFS. Hope S3 will be for this year.
Quote from kdo :Hope S3 will be for this year.

LOL. We aren't even sure if S3 will come out before 2015 dude.
Quote from edge3147 :
IMHO, Most of use just want to know a little more information about what these physics changes are going to involve. It would allow us to do some research and learn more about the physics and possibly prepare to adjust to the changes.

IMHO, you should really read more of his posts. This subject was talked about over and over again, and chances are, Scawen just skips this read cause he's well aware of teh community and it's feelings.

Ina nutshell, the goal is to make teh physics more realistic (incl. better temperature model and deformation)
Further, breakable wings were announced.

But physics arn't done yet (cpu usage, handling in extreme situations, and whatnot).

And that's about it.

Quote :just hate to see it taking this long to move forward

imagine how he feels not finding the correct solution
Quote from Scawen :that is the reason why the "guest lag info" incompatible patch could not come out quickly. But I am going to stop short of explaining

Ehrm... Think you misinterpreted my text. I already knew it was pushed forward to this week because you've mentioned that. Very nice to know whats going on in a global way, no need for big details. I try to read every bit of information carefully.

But, somehow I also kept into account that there might be an unofficial intermediate release last Friday. I can make long stories why I decided not to continue to support the test patch online on a large scale right now but the main reason is that we have very popular weekends with one class close racing and -a lot- of people are counting on that and seeing empty servers instead of full ones at primetime hurt too much.

The internet likes some sort of rhythm anyway and this community is no exception to that. I know it's not that much into the ballpark of LFS development nowadays, it's either run like crazy or a complete standstill (maybe it isnt, but it looks like it) and that is not so good for the moral.

Quote from Scawen :As stated before and no change since, I want this full version out as quickly as possible so I can get back to other things.

Thats a bit what I try to say... Why after so many months the sudden rush to a single full (patch) version within a month and then go silent again for X unknown months. Don't feel forced to give any answer but I just don't understand the logic. If I look back in history, it was different "back in the days".. But in history everything always looks better hmhm
Quote from cargame.nl :Why after so many months the sudden rush to a single full (patch) version within a month and then go silent again for X unknown months. Don't feel forced to give any answer but I just don't understand the logic. If I look back in history, it was different "back in the days".. But in history everything always looks better hmhm

I'm guessing one reason could be the urgency, since it was security and inconvenient-MP related If that's done he can get back into the funk.

Makes total sense to me
That's simple, and I think obvious. Finding and fixing some security holes and making a new multiplayer system just takes a few weeks. But a new tyre physics system, physically based and better in all ways that what we have already, cannot be done in a few weeks. More like months, though it has turned out to be years. My small monkey brain has been unable to produce the results in such a short time and it took a lot of research. Don't need to say any more about that though. I can't dish out pieces of tyre model, it's all or nothing. Though I expect a test patch period of refinement as usual.
I know you hate questions that asks for how long the development has gone since last time, but if you got the time and will - how much longer have the progress on the tyres gone since 2011?
And no, it's not meant as an question to put you up to the wall, just curious to see whats been improved in your test modell since that time.
Scawenwhy in such autosimulator there is a shortcoming. these are car tanks, it is necessary that races were with a dozaprvka!gasoline always remains, it would be desirable that there was tactics of refuellings in race.the separate program for a gasoline korreuktsiya will refuel?sorry bad engligh
GTDIZEL o_O
Quote from The Very End :I know you hate questions that asks for how long the development has gone since last time, but if you got the time and will - how much longer have the progress on the tyres gone since 2011?
And no, it's not meant as an question to put you up to the wall, just curious to see whats been improved in your test modell since that time.

Nix...........
Quote from Scawen :That's simple, and I think obvious. Finding and fixing some security holes and making a new multiplayer system just takes a few weeks. But a new tyre physics system, physically based and better in all ways that what we have already, cannot be done in a few weeks. More like months, though it has turned out to be years. My small monkey brain has been unable to produce the results in such a short time and it took a lot of research. Don't need to say any more about that though. I can't dish out pieces of tyre model, it's all or nothing. Though I expect a test patch period of refinement as usual.

We just want the % progress to get an idea of how long we must wait.
This thread is closed

TEST PATCH 0.6B5 (now B8 - multiplayer improvements - no change to physics)
(152 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG