The online racing simulator
Any runners on the forum?
(19 posts, started )
aight fellas
im lookin for some advice from any runners on trainin etc etc.
im gunna run the london marathon next april, i want half the money i raise to go to cancer research, and the other half to the ayrton senna foundation. if im fit enuf by the time the marathon comes i wanna run it in my race suit and helmet to raise a bit more cash, bit more of a challenge!

so anyway im training at the moment and im fairly fit, but i dont really know HOW long to run, i could run for ages but my legs hurt afterwards. is there any warnings my muscles give me when its time to stop??? any advice on hydration and stuff at this time of year?
well done, anyone who does that for the benefit of other people deserves a hand shake. unfortunatly i cant help you with advice i just thought id share my opinion.
#3 - jtr99
If the guy in front of you is running too slow, just give him a kick to the back of the knees, that should sort him out.

Seriously though, well done for running a marathon for charity.
Senna, I did 40 pages of coursework on cardiovascular endurance.

I found these links really useful as a starting point.

http://www.marathonguide.com/training/index.cfm
http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/siteindx.htm
http://www.medic8.com/healthgu ... cles/sportsnutrition.html

Long distance running is about getting everything right, preparation and correct nutrition is the key. Your training schedule needs to be unique to you, people can suggest ways to do it, but until you start training you won't know where you are in terms of physical and mental fitness.

My dad was a keen runner in his time and some books are also of more use than others. As I just said in MSN, a local book store would be a good place to start.
Quote from jtr99 :If the guy in front of you is running too slow, just give him a kick to the back of the knees, that should sort him out.

LMFAO

I know every year i sit at the telly at 10am watching the marathon, never participating. But good on ya man for actually going to do it and raise money for charity.

I think the best place to get training is at your local gym / sport centre. They have trained trianers working there and im sure if you say "i want to run the marathon" they will know exactly what to do and tell you. They should also be able to tell you what and how much to eat / drink before the event.

Good luck, and post up a piccy of what your gonna run in then we can have a community challenge, "spot the LFS logo"
Turn up unfit as hell and get your 5 minutes of fame by collapsing 15m short of the finish line, only to be dragged over the line by heroic officials. That's my tip. Then start a campaign about fitness.
Quote from Bob Smith :Turn up unfit as hell and get your 5 minutes of fame by collapsing 15m short of the finish line, only to be dragged over the line by heroic officials. That's my tip. Then start a campaign about fitness.

ROFL
LOL, Bob.

I actually just started running a couple days ago. No particular reason, and I certainly don't enjoy it at the moment, but I could see myself enjoying it eventually as I get more fit. See, at the moment, I run like a smoker, though I've never touched a cigarette in my life (second-hand smoke is another story). I get winded really fast and my legs burn like hell after about 5 minutes (probably around half a mile). I've been doing 25 minute runs around town, probably about half of which is spent walking. It's not that I'm fat, either. I'm actually quite underweight (5' 8" at 135 lbs, 172.5 cm at 61 kgs, 21 years-old).
My little bit of advice from personal experience, is to be careful and don't over do it.

Pay attention to any niggling feelings or cramps as you DO NOT want a lasting injury.

I made the mistake of continuing to run on a running machine after i felt a pain in my knee which I thought was muscular and would just go away. Unfortunately I kept going and I have been trying to shake it off for about 10months now. Yes 10 months

So if you have any aches or pain out of the ordinary pay attention to them
Im a great runner. But only when the police are chasing me.
Hope you'll have Cromo branded overalls
Honestly? as far as marathons go... I always wanted throw a bunch a marbles
down on the other end of a blind curve.. I'm just anti-social that way I guess.

but getting back to running.. remember to stretch like hell before you start,
ESPESCIALLY if you're just starting. I understand the UK is having a heat wave right now. If i were you, I'd try to just jog about a mile a day for about two weeks, then try 3... in a couple a weeks try 5. after that, write a book
you're an expert by now but getting back to the heat, you might wanna half that depending on how you relate to the heat and what sort a shape you're in.

and remember: NO PAIN - NO GAIN

I gave up that nasty habit of jogging years ago. It just totally interfered with my cigarette smoking diet.
breathing is EXTREMELY important; its actually just as/ if not as important as a good meal is the night before an endurance race

also.. hope your in shape lol, never try and run it though (unless you were born in kenya...) a jog is going to take you the whole way, and try to keep a steady pace, if you get unsteady, your breathing will go with it, and you will wear yourself out faster than you know what to do

also.. obviously water is also extremely important... keep in mind that you have to get water in you BEFORE a run; NEVER.. NEVER! during a race, because when you drink water while running, your body takes water out of your system to do.. whatever it does to bring the water you just took in into your body.. so you'll dehydrate yourself

depending on how far away it is from happening, a good job every morning about 1 mile to start off, then 2, then probably up to 4 miles just a fast paced jog should get you in shape; then get away from distance, and get into time, start jogging just for an hour or a little more

oh.. also, you HAVE to stretch, else you'll have to throw the towl in reeeeal fast

you'd have to have someone show you how to stretch, its.. kinda hard typing it in lol

and theres my tips
i could say i know a little about running; all middle school i ran for cross country, and all during high school i just gave up on long distance because im not that good at it, and came into sprinting so i know my way around a little..

oooo wow thats a long post now that i look at it lol
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I skimmed a lot of this, so I don't know if it's been said, but to run TLM you need to run 4 (I think it is) smaller maratons (such as the great north run) to be allowed to take part, and the best way to run long distances is to run a little faster then you walk.

And as XCNuse breathing is key, in through the nose, out the mouth, the other way means you inhale a lot of junk which your nose filters and as such tires you out faster. And to avoide stich breath on the pace, in on right, out on left (or was it the other way round, someone can correct that).
#15 - Vain
My experience is that, to avoid stich breath it's best to switch the side with wich you breath in after a while. So when you start out with right-in and left-out then switch to left-in and right-out after a while.
And my personal advice for beginners: Begin on soft ground. When you're not in training your running-technique isn't in shape either so you'll need to practice a good technique that puts few stress on your joints (happens rather automatically with time). So start jogging in the woods or somewhere before you start on tarmac. Bad technique and tarmac equals pain, for weeks after the event.

Vain
Quote from Vain :Begin on soft ground. When you're not in training your running-technique isn't in shape either so you'll need to practice a good technique that puts few stress on your joints (happens rather automatically with time). So start jogging in the woods or somewhere before you start on tarmac. Bad technique and tarmac equals pain, for weeks after the event.

Vain

That is probably where I went wrong with the running machine....good tip. I had done alot of off-road running before that and hadn't had any problems.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :I skimmed a lot of this, so I don't know if it's been said, but to run TLM you need to run 4 (I think it is) smaller maratons (such as the great north run) to be allowed to take part, and the best way to run long distances is to run a little faster then you walk.

Are you sure about that? I can't imagine idiot BB contestant Jade Goody ran 4 smaller races. She didn't do any training for the London marathon and didn't even know how long a mile was!
Quote from sinbad :Are you sure about that? I can't imagine idiot BB contestant Jade Goody ran 4 smaller races. She didn't do any training for the London marathon and didn't even know how long a mile was!

Celbs are the exception to the rule due to high profile, normal people have to do an ammount of smaller ones to be allowed to enter. It's like an elitest club.
cheers for your advice fellas, ill try to remember it all. im fairly ok at running bcause i cycled so much, but i dont know about technique to running.

im a celeb

(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG