The online racing simulator
How bad are donuts for your tyres?
(54 posts, started )
I'm just wondering how fast the tyres are wearing out when you do donuts. I guess it's totally up to the tyres. But on stock summer tyres, is it very bad? I mean, say for 10 spins(donuts) at most.

I don't really need details (though I wouldn't mind), I'm just curious - all I need is very rough answer. Say for 10 donuts once every 2 months, will that make any difference on how often you need to change the tyres? Or is it not going to be very significant?
I'll keep laughing until I go back to my movie.
Well theoretically it matters what tyre you have fitted and also what gear or speed your wheels are turning.
It also depends on the car. I had a '68 Chevelle with a big block 454 that could tear up a set of tires in a matter of seconds
#6 - dadge
it's a stupid question. "will burning rubber wear my tyres out quicker?" Have a little think about it.
Well offcourse they're bad for your tyres lol. (If wet a bit less, but that spot will dry out eventually because of the tyreheat)

You heat up tyres to a high temperature, keep spinning them and they will be gone soon
Yes, they'll destroy your tyres in no time.
#9 - Mysho
Depends on car and speed. But in my car, even burnout damages the tyre quite a lot, donut would be a lot worse I guess. So you're asking if making donuts would mean buying new set of tyres - I think you are right. Typical summer set of tyres can't handle that much...
Ask Scawen, he is a tire engineer.
Am I thew only one who thinks that a person having to ask this should not really be allowed to drive a car?

I mean, I woudn't trust anybody which such a glaring lack of common sense anywhere near a dangerous machine like a car.
Quote from ColeusRattus :Am I thew only one who thinks that a person having to ask this should not really be allowed to drive a car?

Yes, because judging from your other posts about ''so called dangerous driving'' (can't see anything dangerous in doin' some donuts or sideways action when noone else is around, or is far in front or behind of you), you probably are one of biggest pussies here, stop whining all the time.
Quote from Agniz :can't see anything dangerous in doin' some donuts or sideways action when noone else is around, or is far in front or behind of you

You shouldn't be allowed a car either.

[Klutch_style_text]
btw today here was raining, so I did the whole roundabout sideways, twice, and stopped traffic for 1min, uMad?
[/Klutch_style_text]
Quote from Agniz :Yes, because judging from your other posts about ''so called dangerous driving'' (can't see anything dangerous in doin' some donuts or sideways action when noone else is around, or is far in front or behind of you), you probably are one of biggest pussies here, stop whining all the time.

I think you mixed up "pussy" with "intelligent person".

And trust me, I have nothing against idiots leaving the human gene pool. I do oppose them using cars for that though, as they tend to take sensible people with them.
If it's late and wet enough and no one else, i do some roundabouts sometimes in the 318i touring.
But in contrary to other people, I actually now what i'm doing
Quote from broken :I'm just wondering how fast the tyres are wearing out when you do donuts. I guess it's totally up to the tyres. But on stock summer tyres, is it very bad? I mean, say for 10 spins(donuts) at most.

I don't really need details (though I wouldn't mind), I'm just curious - all I need is very rough answer. Say for 10 donuts once every 2 months, will that make any difference on how often you need to change the tyres? Or is it not going to be very significant?

yup, no significant wear when done in wet conditions...
Quote from ColeusRattus :I think you mixed up "pussy" with "intelligent person".

And trust me, I have nothing against idiots leaving the human gene pool. I do oppose them using cars for that though, as they tend to take sensible people with them.

He did in fact mention when nobody else is around, so your argument of taking sensible people with them is pretty invalid to be frank.

And yes, donuts will kill tyres pretty quick, and so do locked diffs on the road too, even running a locker without doing any kind of drifting on my set of road tyres still killed them inside a few months, just 2 or 3 donuts will wear the tyres tens of times faster than usual, and when you start to get smoke then yeah, your really accelerating the speed of wear.
Quote from ColeusRattus :Am I thew only one who thinks that a person having to ask this should not really be allowed to drive a car?

I mean, I wouldn't trust anybody which such a glaring lack of common sense anywhere near a dangerous machine like a car.

That's quite elitist, although you are Austrian, what else COULD we expect.

Nevertheless some people don't have the greatest of initiatives but it doesn't mean that they deserve any less privileges than you or I. Someone questioning about a burnout actually wearing tires is a valid question because spinning the tire quickly only heats up the surface of the tyre, well up to a point.
I don't think they're bad for your tyres, they're more bad for yourself if you eat them alot.
Quote from danthebangerboy :He did in fact mention when nobody else is around, so your argument of taking sensible people with them is pretty invalid to be frank.

And here's my point: sensible people know that you cannot ever be sure that you are in fact alone. Unless you're driving on a salt flat where you can see for miles in each direction.

For example, I've seen the aftermath of a car crashing to a brick wall right into a living room, at night with no traffic whatsoever in the vicinity. It was mere coincidence that noone inside was hurt. Sure, that's a freak accident, but sensible people should still think about possibilities like that, and thus keep their sporty or drifty driving to places where it really is safe for everyone else: TRACKS!
Once the sugar & jam combine on the tyre, doughnuts work really well.
if the tyres are ice cold, camber and suspention/diff are decent and its litterally 10 secons on the spot or just doing actual donuts on the spot ( rather then donuts around a round-a-bout per say...

you'll be ok... just watch for curbs and such.
Quote from broken :I'm just wondering how fast the tyres are wearing out when you do donuts. I guess it's totally up to the tyres. But on stock summer tyres, is it very bad? I mean, say for 10 spins(donuts) at most.

Technically, unlike some people above posted, what really matters is friction. So, say you find a frozen pond (a bit hard during summer, but hey) to spin onto, or a bowling alley waxed real good, then you shouldn't have a problem - with your tires at least.

(54 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG