The online racing simulator
Quote from JackDaMaster :Awesome race, good to see the drivers driving. Now we know these cars are great on big ovals, now we have to see how they are on short ovals.

Finally got around to watching the highlights. This exactly

Short ovals might drive a little more like stock cars than I might have guessed looking at the cars pre-season. They certainly drove Texas more like stock cars do. Heck, they were even getting off of the white line in the turns . Should have seen it comming from the rear end of the cars, but I didn't expect it like this. I wish I could have seen it live. What exactly is the blocking rule exactly? I was a little confused by that with Power..

Now I need to figure out why my DVR failed to record the Texas race..
Quote from Cornys :Finally got around to watching the highlights. This exactly

Short ovals might drive a little more like stock cars than I might have guessed looking at the cars pre-season. They certainly drove Texas more like stock cars do. Heck, they were even getting off of the white line in the turns . Should have seen it comming from the rear end of the cars, but I didn't expect it like this. I wish I could have seen it live. What exactly is the blocking rule exactly? I was a little confused by that with Power..

Now I need to figure out why my DVR failed to record the Texas race.. :

Up until last season, any movement towards the inside in any corner by the car ahead could be considered a blocking. From this season onwards, I believe the rule was scrapped and the drivers were told to sort it out for themselves. Power's move not only hindered a fast car's attempt to overtake him but also cost TK to lose his front wing, so IMHO it was totally justified.
Basically you're allowed to make preventative blocking moves, but not reactive ones. In other words, you can protect the inside line if someone isn't actively pulling alongside, but if they've begun a move, you can't react to it and throw a chop block. Pretty commonsense, IMO.
Okay, thanks for the clarification guys. That makes more sence now
Im Surprised the win wasn't stripped, he was running with an Illegal part.
Drivers hope the dramatic race at Texas helps sign a Renewal of Contract as its in Doubt for next year: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100310

I know this might be early, but considering how well Texas went, I think Las Vegas should be an option again, considering its basically the same track and they have shown interest to stage the event, the new Car has Allowed dramatically different racing on the 1.5s which going by the last race is not only unpredictable, but challenging for drivers as well.
Quote from Mustafur :
I know this might be early, but considering how well Texas went, I think Las Vegas should be an option again, considering its basically the same track and they have shown interest to stage the event, the new Car has Allowed dramatically different racing on the 1.5s which going by the last race is not only unpredictable, but challenging for drivers as well.

I agree, I remember watching the press conference revealing the investigation into the crash and they said that the crash was just a "Freak Storm" and just a build up of perfect events which caused the crash (3 wide pack racing, 225 MPH speeds). It was also unlucky that his head had hit the pole on the fencing. It was just a big freak accident.

You see nascar still racing at daytona and talladega and they are dangerous tracks and have a lot of common, huge crashes.
I wouldn't compare Indy to NASCAR in that regard, because Catch fences do much more damage to an open wheeler then a Stock car.
Quote from Mustafur :I wouldn't compare Indy to NASCAR in that regard, because Catch fences do much more damage to an open wheeler then a Stock car.

To the cars, yes, but not to the drivers. Only 2 drivers were killed in catch-fence related accidents in IndyCar/CART in the past 15 years, and both times it wasn't the fence itself that caused the injuries.
I don't think they'll ever go back to Vegas unless they change the fencing configuration there.
Quote from Mustafur :I wouldn't compare Indy to NASCAR in that regard, because Catch fences do much more damage to an open wheeler then a Stock car.

I definitly agree. Honestly I think NASCAR would allow the cars to run around 215 mph if they knew the cars would not hurt spectators by going through the fences. The drivers are pretty safe now with the safe walls and cars, but a 3,400lbs car might just go through the fencing at that speed in the right circumstance (and they still might now).

IndyCar's biggest concern is the catch fencing's effect on the drivers more so. The cars are light enough to avoid going through the fence entirely, and most of the debris would be stopped by them regardless (spectators will always be in some level of danger, that's unavoidable). The pack racing is an issue at places like Vegas largely because of the new track surface which is more grippy and entirely smooth.

With the new cars however we don't know what effect a new and smooth surface would produce at a high banked speedway. IndyCar would certainly be hesitant to return to Las Vegas or any newly surfaced track of the sort. Who would blame them.
Quote from Cornys :I definitly agree. Honestly I think NASCAR would allow the cars to run around 215 mph if they knew the cars would not hurt spectators by going through the fences. The drivers are pretty safe now with the safe walls and cars, but a 3,400lbs car might just go through the fencing at that speed in the right circumstance (and they still might now).

You would be surprised how much the steel cables on the inside facing the track will stop without breaking.
I was watching the texas race live, and in the pre-race show they talked about the fencing. One thing they said was was that they might consider moving the poles to the outside of the fence. I guess that might help.
I hope they come to Pocono.
Damn that was quick
Hey Jenna, if you read lfsforums, why don't you just say so?
Quote from Mustafur :Damn that was quick

Quote from DeadWolfBones :Hey Jenna, if you read lfsforums, why don't you just say so?

Quote from Gougoodthing :I was watching the texas race live, and in the pre-race show they talked about the fencing. One thing they said was was that they might consider moving the poles to the outside of the fence. I guess that might help.

I read a bunch of stuff that said it would have essentially zero impact on the danger. The chainlink won't support much, so you'd still wind up hitting the pole itself anyways, for all intents and purposes (you'd just sandwich the tiny chainlink fence between your head and the pole). The poles would have to be moved a couple feet back from the chainlink fencing to avoid bearing the brunt of an impact like that. Of course, it becomes MUCH more difficult to properly support the chainlink fence with a cantilever system, so that probably won't happen anytime soon, either.
Rubens qualified 3rd for tomorrows race (not on sunday, again).
Quote from Yuri Laszlo :Rubens qualified 3rd for tomorrows race (not on sunday, again).

This means I most likely miss it due to this French race
Quote from TFalke55 :This means I most likely miss it due to this French race

Seems I'll be watching Le Mans, Indycar and Nationwide all at the same time
Quote from JackDaMaster :Seems I'll be watching Le Mans, Indycar and Nationwide all at the same time

Jack... you seem to be a woman I couldn't explain differently how you master this multitask

2012 IndyCar Series
(957 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG