The online racing simulator
Paying $4.49 for gas premium shell
(60 posts, started )
How can you complain about $3.79 a gallon fuel? Who cares what octane rating it is.
I'd buy 86 @ that price & i'd pay more for higher octane.
na, as usual the US have a different measure system for fuel, its not the same octane rating we have here
How can it be different? Octane is a chemical substance (right word?), shouldn't it be "universal" for the whole world?
Quote from matijapkc :How can it be different? Octane is a chemical substance (right word?), shouldn't it be "universal" for the whole world?

[etals:]
Quote :Research Octane Number (RON)

The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel in a test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing the results with those for mixtures of iso-octane and n-heptane.
[edit]
Motor Octane Number (MON)

There is another type of octane rating, called Motor Octane Number (MON), or the aviation lean octane rating, which is a better measure of how the fuel behaves when under load, as it is determined at 900 rpm engine speed, instead of the 600 rpm for RON.[1] MON testing uses a similar test engine to that used in RON testing, but with a preheated fuel mixture, higher engine speed, and variable ignition timing to further stress the fuel's knock resistance. Depending on the composition of the fuel, the MON of a modern gasoline will be about 8 to 10 points lower than the RON, however there is no direct link between RON and MON. Normally, fuel specifications require both a minimum RON and a minimum MON.[citation needed]

Looks like...
Quote from matijapkc :And you call your country technologically advanced? How much octane has premium got?

It's due to the altitude. I live at 7,000ft/2,134m. It's different in states/areas that are closer to sea level and have denser air.

Also, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O ... xamples_of_octane_ratings

Quote :In most countries, including Australia and all of those in Europe, the "headline" octane rating shown on the pump is the RON, but in Canada, the United States and some other countries, like Brazil, the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI, and often written on pumps as (R+M)/2). It may also sometimes be called the Pump Octane Number (PON).

1,46 euro/L for 95 in Lithuania
around $1.40L which is basically the same Canada pays.
Quote from TexasLTU :1,46 euro/L for 95 in Lithuania

i paid 1,58 today for standard gas...

**** shell/bp

Paying $4.49 for gas premium shell
(60 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG