The online racing simulator
New Sauber Aero kit
(57 posts, started )
I caught a few glimpses of the Sauber cars during the race, and they did have them on
i think the wings on the car are a bit useless but i am sure they have their reasons putting them on there. One thing that would concern me is the visibility from the cockpit. I watched bit of the race on sunday and heard Martin Brundle talk about the visibility and he said that the wings wouldnt make that much of a difference but he wasnt convinced by them either.... I think that anything infront of the drivers view will severely effect his visibility and at those speeds drivers need all the visibility they can get.. especially with wheel to wheel racing ( i know i know we hardly get that in f1 these days)

mad
what... the reasons are a few posts above yoursillepall
i don't agree that those fins look ugly.

Everything looks good if it helps going faster.they look some...wild, but not ugly.
Quote from thisnameistaken :From 2008, that's what F1 rear wings will look like

They look dangerous.
thats old news too, im wondering if it will actually be like that now; but ya, thats just to clean up the air behind the cars.. meaning closer races (well.. hypothetically speaking that is)

as for all the strange aero; i think we should get options for these things; like if you remember the higher fins they had on the front wing that attached, we should get an option to use those .. well they might come in some use if we get a tighter course where we would need plenty of downforce
#32 - axus
Quote from tristancliffe :No they won't. As stupid as the organisers and engineers in F1 sometimes are, they won't follow an aerodynamic solution that looks amateur, doesn't actually work, and is more prone to accidental damage (being on a corner of the car, rather than the middle).

We'll have 'conventional' wing positions/styles for a while yet I think, but with less visible and more effective changes to reduce the reliance on aero, and reduce the 'dirty air' effect.

Yeah, I think that having 2 wings right behind the tyres doesn't take into account the turbulent air that is there. You'll probably get less than 1/3 of the current downforce doing that and it will be really sensetive to winds. I highly doubt they will adopt that solution.
i think they look nice....
#34 - DeKo
Quote from thisnameistaken :That's what I thought of when I first saw BMW's fins. Shame the Arrows double-wing wasn't allowed to race, it would've been cool to see how much it improved their performance.

From 2008, that's what F1 rear wings will look like

that looks amazingly ugly, but i like the return to big fat slicks, the way F1 should be.
#35 - Woz
Who cares if the new split wing over the wheels is ugly. The reason for the change is not. The idea is to allow cars to run close to each other again and try to change F1 from hot lapping into a race.

Personally I think they should dump ALL downforce and get on with a real race
Quote from Woz :Who cares if the new split wing over the wheels is ugly. The reason for the change is not. The idea is to allow cars to run close to each other again and try to change F1 from hot lapping into a race.

Personally I think they should dump ALL downforce and get on with a real race

That's the thing you see - a number of past and present F1 designers/aerodynamisists have already stated that these wings will have a negligible effect on the turbulence, except, apparently, in a small 'sweet spot' in the middle (which is useless, as the cars can't reach nor overcome it).

I agree with no downforce, but I don't think it's sensible to make F1 (the technological pinnacle) a no downforce series, and the sponsors won't like the reduced area. I like my idea of keeping wings, but banning aerofoil sections on them - an angled plank is way less effective at providing downforce than an aerofoil, but just as good at displaying amusing non-tobacco plays on words.
Quote from duke_toaster :They look dangerous.

Getting hit by an F1 car at 150mph is pretty dangerous with or without silly extrusions.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Oh yeah.. the fins are very ugly, every single one of them. Even worse, they all have blond hair..

Oh the Sauber fins? Oh.. yeah uhm, those are ugly as well.
Quote from (SaM) :Oh yeah.. the fins are very ugly, every single one of them. Even worse, they all have blond hair..

Oh the Sauber fins? Oh.. yeah uhm, those are ugly as well.

What are you talking about?
lol
Off topic (sorry, I try not to, but you know...):

I loved Kimis responce when asked what he thought of Juan Pablo Crashalots departure from McLaren. Such a cool guy, by far the coolest in F1

(you lucky Finns - he'd only be cooler if he had a huge cigar sticking out of his helmet whilst waiting on the grid)
What did Kimi actually say?
lol saw that..

so Kimi can you tells us your view on Juan Pablo Montoya leaving for Nascar... Kimi replies " its got nothing to do with me" or something along those lines..

heh.. such a cool guy!

edit: typo!
Quote from Bob Smith :Getting hit by an F1 car at 150mph is pretty dangerous with or without silly extrusions.

OK, i'll rephrase that. MORE dangerous than normal wings.

Instead of CDG wings, I'd just bring ground effect back
Quote from Hankstar :What did Kimi actually say?

What? He actually can speak?
thats gay; FIA has SERIOUSLY ****ed up F1 this year, by the end of the year, you wont be able to make any changes to your car.. period!

plus, i highly doubt those wings impair your vision any more than looking at your hand the skinny way (looking at its width from top to bottom of your hand)

mooommmmmyyy FIA is beeeing gaaayyyy
On `safety grounds` :/, even if they did impair the drivers vision I bet after a few laps the drivers would have started using them to help guide the front of the car into the corners. Everyday when you drive a road car your vision is impaired by the roof beam things, but you learn to cope.

I like seeing new things like these in F1, makes me think how does someone come across that idea.

Keiran
-
(510N3D) DELETED by 510N3D
well they made it to help with that design from mclaren had last year, and this year too, those fin things off the very top of the intake thing, it has those winglets that direct airflow onto the rear wing, and so bmw basically "took" that idea, and used it, and helped it even more with their pylon things

New Sauber Aero kit
(57 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG