The online racing simulator
New Sauber Aero kit
(57 posts, started )
New Sauber Aero kit
I wonder if the new super fugly fins on the Sauber will make it to the LFS BF1?
Let's hope not!
Attached images
fugly.jpg
Yea hope not =/
Well, it would add to the realism to have those eyesores
the front wing and a few other things on the car have changed as well.
When I realised that the thread about this earlier in the week wasn't actually a fake I did have a good giggle, I find it hard to believe they are allowed in the regulations, yet there they where... What an attrocity on the eyes!

Ugly cars shouldn't win, but that's ok, because they didn't.
thats the first time i see those wings.

- maaan thats ugly. allmost a joke.

wuh.. just found the threat. shame on you bo.
#7 - joen
I think this one was even uglier.

But they won't be in LFS. For the same reason all the other aero previous updates aren't on it.
not that pretty either:
Its funny how people moan about mods and ricers and all the suggestions. But when it comes to real life mods which are designed to go faster in whichever shape or form people still dont like it.. Brilliant. They are horrible tho...
They didnt really make them faster...
What in the world are those things supposed to do?
Help airflow and increase downforce ...
help with the air disturbance caused by the helmet/driver.

Quote from Blake :They would be used to reduce the disturbance caused by the drivers head. They would split the air into two “sections.”

The green one would be heading towards the wings on the sidepods, and the red section would be heading for the drivers head. The advantage here is that more clean air is directed towards the wings on the sidepods (allowing them to create more downforce), rather than the disturbed air that normally comes from the drivers helmets.

another illustration from gtplanet.

Quote from Omnis :So, they're kinda like frontal diffusers?

I made a diagram of what I think they're doing.

The cyan blue is clean airflow. The red would be dirty air. Now, I think the "verti-wings" would channel air to wrap around the engine duct-structure and right onto the rear wing. Also, perhaps if they molded them in with the beginning of the suspension (hard red lines), it might help with the flow. And, if they added a small wing on the top of the nose (pink and/or green), it might bypass the helmet drag alltogether, ramming clean air into and around the engine intake and putting downforce right on top of the suspension. The only thing bad about the whole thing would be for the driver. His visibility might suffer, and without the air blowing directly onto the helmet, he's gonna sweat his balls off.

Just a thought. I really would like to go to a windtunnel some time.

Quote :The only thing bad about the whole thing would be for the driver. His visibility might suffer

There's something else you missed. They're bloody ugly - that's a bad thing ok !
You can see the look of embarasment in Jacque's eyes in the pic in the original post.
*sauber wins race partly due to the "ugly" aero improvement*

a while later,

other team's engineer - dude, that thing is ugly...
other team's other engineer - yeah, it sucks...
- yeah haha it looks so lame haha
- totaly! it's, like, horns or something
- right! har har har!
the new aerodynamics on the car are slightly mad. The two big fins at the front of the car would piss me off they would distract me and i would not be able to drive propper. Even though the drivers say they are used to them. ferarri also brought a new aerodynamics package to the sunday race in france and it worked ming you the tires helped.
Did BMW race with that? They should have left it for off season testing. I bet people thought wings were ugly back in the 60's, so i guess whenever something new is tryed it's considered wierd.
Quote from Rappa Z :Did BMW race with that?

The BMW's were never shown in the race, because they were so far back; but rumours say, yes, they did.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from thisnameistaken :From 2008, that's what F1 rear wings will look like

No they won't. As stupid as the organisers and engineers in F1 sometimes are, they won't follow an aerodynamic solution that looks amateur, doesn't actually work, and is more prone to accidental damage (being on a corner of the car, rather than the middle).

We'll have 'conventional' wing positions/styles for a while yet I think, but with less visible and more effective changes to reduce the reliance on aero, and reduce the 'dirty air' effect.
#22 - joen
Quote from thisnameistaken :
From 2008, that's what F1 rear wings will look like

I'm still hoping that someway that is going to be cancelled. I absolutely hate it immensely.
it looks kinda cool to me lol i mean the rear wings. not the bmw
Quote from zeugnimod :The BMW's were never shown in the race, because they were so far back; but rumours say, yes, they did.

LMAO. I watched highlights just to see the bmw and they never got shown so it is all rumour lol.
They where shown in the pre-race built up though, so unless these are removable very quickly odds are they went to the grid like it, although it's entirely possible their poor performance was owing to the hacksaw blade marks interfering with the aerodynamics.

New Sauber Aero kit
(57 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG