The online racing simulator
Thermoplastic CV boots...
(13 posts, started )
#1 - CSU1
we've started getting this horrible hard plastic thing in the box where the rubber CV boot should be, motor-factors say it's all the rage and used a word like thermo-plastic or something...

...anyone here dealth with this new thermo-plastic crap, and is there some kind of secret to stopping them popping off the joint all the time?

...customers are like "wtf - test center failed me again wtf you doing..."
Never heard of them before...Google any help?

Would be curious to see how they work. I always thought CV joints would have to be soft and flexible to allow for movement. Wouldn't hard ones pop off?
#3 - CSU1
Google aint got $hit

They're supposed to work in the exact same way but the plastic just is not malleable enough to catch the lip on the CV and pops off as soon as the guy's in the test center's yank at them...awful ruddy yokes they are
benz makes these hard plastic boots and they are horrible to work with !
Yeah, googles completely useless .......
Try page 8.

http://www.interparts.eu.com/pdf/TechDoc01.pdf

"In spite of this many O.E. manufacturers are now reverting to supplying
Thermoplastic CV boots. Although these CV boots usually carry an O.E. lifetime
warranty as they are so strong, the problem with this material and design is that the
CV boot is very rigid and given time they usually slip off the CV joint causing the
component to fail.
Many mechanics prefer to replace the Thermoplastic boot with a Neoprene
equivalent.
Experts can easily tell whether rubber parts contain Neoprene or not just by smelling
them."

Can't you take these and tighten that son of a bitch? Or are those boots rigid enough to pull those out?
#8 - CSU1
Quote from Racer X NZ :Yeah, googles completely useless .......
Try page 8.

http://www.interparts.eu.com/pdf/TechDoc01.pdf

"In spite of this many O.E. manufacturers are now reverting to supplying
Thermoplastic CV boots. Although these CV boots usually carry an O.E. lifetime
warranty as they are so strong, the problem with this material and design is that the
CV boot is very rigid and given time they usually slip off the CV joint causing the
component to fail.
Many mechanics prefer to replace the Thermoplastic boot with a Neoprene
equivalent.
Experts can easily tell whether rubber parts contain Neoprene or not just by smelling
them."

nice find! thanks for that - don't think I'll adopt the method of having a good ol' smell of those dirty old boots though :/
Quote from KiRmelius :

Can't you take these and tighten that son of a bitch? Or are those boots rigid enough to pull those out?

Problem is, if I tighten the clips too much they'll eat into the rubber just around the lip on the CV and eventually fail over a very short period of time.

A perfect solution would be to treat the termoplastic chemically or such that the area around the outer lip of the CV is softer - I've never seen a boot fail where it is attached to the CV, any I've seen always fail where there is most movement in the boot ie. center of the boot.

...I'll pick up the cheapest set of these thermoplastic boots Monday and start looking into ways to soften the rubber
Quote from CSU1 :nice find! thanks for that - don't think I'll adopt the method of having a good ol' smell of those dirty old boots though :/

Problem is, if I tighten the clips too much they'll eat into the rubber just around the lip on the CV and eventually fail over a very short period of time.

A perfect solution would be to treat the termoplastic chemically or such that the area around the outer lip of the CV is softer - I've never seen a boot fail where it is attached to the CV, any I've seen always fail where there is most movement in the boot ie. center of the boot.

...I'll pick up the cheapest set of these thermoplastic boots Monday and start looking into ways to soften the rubber

I see. Well my experience on cars is quite low, I've destroyed only one boot in my life, and even that was while attempting to remove mk2 golf gearbox with driveshafts still on. Got another for cents and one valuable lesson.

However, I'd suggest you to measure the diameters, or better take the old boot with yourself, and head to local parts shop, maybe you'll find a rubber one from some older car, that fits, if you still didn't try that.
#10 - CSU1
Quote from KiRmelius :... attempting to remove mk2 golf gearbox with driveshafts still on. Got another for cents and one valuable lesson.

:ices_rofl

Quote from KiRmelius :However, I'd suggest you to measure the diameters, or better take the old boot with yourself, and head to local parts shop, maybe you'll find a rubber one from some older car, that fits, if you still didn't try that.

I have been told that thermoplastic is the new standard and eventually be phasing out the old rubber ones - I guess they'll come to some sort of compromise and make the top bit lighter or more flexable - as it is now they're just a nightmare to work with
Isn't there the danger that if it's not installed as per specs then you'd be responsible when it fails, as they give a lifetime warrenty ?

Catch 22 for the shop.

Can you fit aftermarket boots after getting the customers agreement ?
have the costumer sign the invoice,just so your covered
Quote from CSU1 :we've started getting this horrible hard plastic thing in the box where the rubber CV boot should be, motor-factors say it's all the rage and used a word like thermo-plastic or something...

...anyone here dealth with this new thermo-plastic crap, and is there some kind of secret to stopping them popping off the joint all the time?

...customers are like "wtf - test center failed me again wtf you doing..."

yes i have upon request or whats been given to me by customers trying to save cash...

you can't re invent the wheel imho so why use alternitive materials ?

(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG