The online racing simulator
Rear view mirrors
(17 posts, started )
Rear view mirrors
Hello!! Didn't found an appropriate thread so decided to start a new one. If LFS is so damn realistic, why not a mirror adjustment feature? I noticed another thing that in outside rear view mirrors, no portion of the rear of the car is visible. In the rear view mirror inside (mounted on windshield), a bit of car's rear seat and some other inside body panels should be visible. Isn't it??
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,
Saurabh.
Not trying to sound negative or anything. I think it would be cool with some better mirrors. However, LFS is "so damn realistic" because stuff like this isn't a priority. So you basically answered your own suggestion.
Quote from pärtan :Not trying to sound negative or anything. I think it would be cool with some better mirrors. However, LFS is "so damn realistic" because stuff like this isn't a priority. So you basically answered your own suggestion.

Why not a priority?

Probably it's not a priority for you , but for some racers it is.

In some races you need precisely to check your mirrors for block an overtrake , etc.

As well in cruise servers for do your cop job.

--------------------------------------------------

Good idea saura!

Regards
You want your view to be blocked?
Quote from Chriship :Why not a priority?

Probably it's not a priority for you , but for some racers it is.

In some races you need precisely to check your mirrors for block an overtrake , etc.

As well in cruise servers for do your cop job.

--------------------------------------------------

Good idea saura!

Regards

You are really getting what I want to say mate...
@Cheerio DM: LOL!! How can the view be blocked? Of course.. few millimeters of mirror will be occupied but it doesn't matter. At least ,we will be able to judge how close the car is from the other one..
Quote from saurabhpawar2009 :You are really getting what I want to say mate...

I hope admins accept this idea and that they apply it on S3

For racers that wanna that idea ( It should be in options a zone for activate or desactivate that )

Regards
I agree, this would make whole LFS more realistic and better. There are no car games I know that has something like this, LFS could be first. Also we could like change, regulate the mirrors view like on real cars.

I agree with this idea. Thought about it myself a couple of times while I was racing.
Quote from TUNNERS :I agree, this would make whole LFS more realistic and better. There are no car games I know that has something like this, LFS could be first. Also we could like change, regulate the mirrors view like on real cars.

I agree with this idea. Thought about it myself a couple of times while I was racing.

I'm afraid that iRacing has already got this feature. Anyway, it would be great to have it in LFS, too.
F1 Challenge, back in 2003, had an opciones to see your rear wing in the mirror.

Cool feature, but not prioritary IMO.
Oh! Is it so? But LFS can be third to get this feature... Even Gran Turismo 5 does not have this detail..
Why not just play LFS on a notebook in your car.
Quote from CheerioDM :Why not just play LFS on a notebook in your car.

My notebooks processor isnt even capable of playing Stick Figure 2D Low Quality Edition. It can barely even run MS-DOS 1.1.
This is why the feature isn't there yet.

When the 3(4) mirrors are actually different portions of the same view, you don't want to see any part of your own car.
Quote from Keling :This is why the feature isn't there yet.

When the 3(4) mirrors are actually different portions of the same view, you don't want to see any part of your own car.

Extremely sorry but I didn't get you at all But I would only like to say that we see the portion of car in real life.. then why not here??
It's been done like this because of simplicity. LFS would have to set a camera for each mirror and do some non-trivial math to determine what should be drawn in the mirror based on the driver's head position. I remember LockOn having these real rear mirrors and they had quite severe impact on performance.
Quote from saurabhpawar2009 :Extremely sorry but I didn't get you at all But I would only like to say that we see the portion of car in real life.. then why not here??

The first attachment is a picture I made to show what it would look like when "self in mirror" option is on.

This is not some quick copy-paste. The scale and positon of the images in the mirrors are EXACTLY right. I had to rise the view point a little bit to give a clean view. Beside that, it's pixel-level accurate.

Look at the side mirror on the left. Very weired, right ? How on earth can I see the helmet on the left side of the wihte line (which is the center line of the car body stretching to horizon) if this mirror is already on the left side of the helment ? Shouldn't the helment be on the right side ?

This is because the image you see in the mirror is a portion of a bigger image generated form a MIDDLE view point, instead of a left side camera that you may imagine. All the images you see in the 3 (or 4, if you use the HUD mirror) mirrors are different parts of the same bigger picture, and that picture comes form a camera (or view point, same thing in the vitual world) which is, unfortunately, located at the middle of the car.

If you still don't get it, see attachment 2 for a visual explanation.

Quote from MadCatX :It's been done like this because of simplicity. LFS would have to set a camera for each mirror and do some non-trivial math to determine what should be drawn in the mirror based on the driver's head position. I remember LockOn having these real rear mirrors and they had quite severe impact on performance.

+1
Attached images
mirror.jpg
RLvsLFS.png
I finally get you and very good observation..

Rear view mirrors
(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG