The online racing simulator
LFS For Mac?
(142 posts, started )

Poll : Windows For Mac?

No!Why?
Yes
Maybe
Quote from xfirestorm :Apache is crappy?

Yes
Quote from xfirestorm :Tell me then, how did I manage to mess up IIS so hard, that Windoze Server didn't even boot-up anymore?

Dunno, maybe by not having straight hands?
Quote from E.Reiljans :YesDunno, maybe by not having straight hands?

Well actually I just turned on SSL on two different applications.

And thanks to Apache you can now run a single web server for multiple websites. The big company M$ didn't have that in their precious IIS.
Quote from xfirestorm :Well actually I just turned on SSL on two different applications.

You did it wrong, obviously.
Quote from xfirestorm :And thanks to Apache you can now run a single web server for multiple websites. The big company M$ didn't have that in their precious IIS.

Yeah, IIS is just as shit as Apache, but that's not my point.
Quote :That wasn't hard.. but it's not intuitive. Intuitively, one should just apt-get install php5 to get php5, and he shouldn't get a freaking webserver (and a crappy one, at that) bundled with it.

Whats he got to complain about, it's not like it cost him anything and judging by the figures here he's getting a market leading product too. I do very little with apache, but if your right it wouldn't be the only crappy market leader.
Quote from stan.distortion :Whats he got to complain about, it's not like it cost him anything and judging by the figures here he's getting a market leading product too. I do very little with apache, but if your right it wouldn't be the only crappy market leader.

Note how, across the million busiest sites, Apache and IIS are losing their market share every month, while nginx is only non-proprietary webserver that is gaining.
True, thanks for pointing that out. Maybe one day when you install python on a debian box it will be a dependancy
Quote from stan.distortion :True, thanks for pointing that out. Maybe one day when you install python on a debian box it will be a dependancy

Nah, nginx maintainer is not as retarded as apache2 one
Quote from E.Reiljans :You did it wrong, obviously.

Yes because the process is that complicated.
Create certificate, sign it, enable and require SSL connection. Rocket science.
But no matter how you mess it up under no condition should an application cripple the whole OS. And even if I messed the whole IIS up.

I've done such things quite a lot on apache, the worst that came out that the virtual domain wasn't working. Shocking.

And the dependencies for certain packages are not up to software maintainers, but distro maintainers.
You can clearly download PHP source code and compile it without apache, as long as you have installed the required dependencies.
Quote from xfirestorm :Yes because the process is that complicated.
Create certificate, sign it, enable and require SSL connection. Rocket science.

Looks like for you it is.
Quote :But no matter how you mess it up under no condition should an application cripple the whole OS.

Thats the kind of thing you would accept from some ancient 16bit OS with no space for error handling, even then it would hard to accept unless the hardware was seriously limited.

Cant find a link for this, think it was a voyager probe coder that managed to fit in some extra code to recognise a moon of jupiter, turn the camera and take a shot of it. The main code to fly the thing to the other side of the galaxy collecting data all the way is fully duplicated in case of memory errors, has full error checking and can continue with half the onboard sensors out of order. This was written in the 70's in a total of 4k memory, the extra code to take the photo fit in the few dozen bytes of space left over.

If a system with over a million times the resources is brought down for ANY reason it's a crap system.
Quote from stan.distortion :If a system with over a million times the resources is brought down for ANY reason it's a crap system.

Makes sense.

Also saying if you mess up a system and expect it to still works makes just as much sense.
Quote :Also saying if you mess up a system and expect it to still works makes just as much sense.

When screwing around with core parts of the system I agree but not when screwing around with user space applications running on that system.
Quote from stan.distortion :When screwing around with core parts of the system I agree but not when screwing around with user space applications running on that system.

That's the problem with M$. A lot of their crap isn't in user space, it's really closely linked to kernel space.
On a *nix system you can mess up the apache code i.e. beyond recognition, and the system would still work, apache wouldn't obviously. But mess up config on IIS, and Windows doesn't work anymore(well it did, just nothing network related). Where is the logic in that.

@E.Reiljans: it's quite obvious you're a just a forum troll. Done arguing with you.
Quote from xfirestorm :But mess up config on IIS, and Windows doesn't work anymore(well it did, just nothing network related). Where is the logic in that.

If you mess up the config, or enter something wrong, Windows will execute your wrongly entered config. Read: it does what you do wrong. What's there not to understand? It's witty to blame the OS for screwing stuff up yourself. Obviously just talking in a theoretical form.
Quote from Bose321 :If you mess up the config, or enter something wrong, Windows will execute your wrongly entered config. Read: it does what you do wrong. What's there not to understand? It's witty to blame the OS for screwing stuff up yourself. Obviously just talking in a theoretical form.

Okay.
Then look at it this way.
You have a puncture and you mess up attaching the reserve tyre and the car doesn't start. Logic?

IIS is a web server, it's suppose to sit there, wait for requests and answer to them over HTTP/HTTPS/FTP/WebDAV/...
It's not suppose to mess up the whole networking of the whole system.
Quote from xfirestorm :Okay.
Then look at it this way.
You have a puncture and you mess up attaching the reserve tyre and the car doesn't start. Logic?

IIS is a web server, it's suppose to sit there, wait for requests and answer to them over HTTP/HTTPS/FTP/WebDAV/...
It's not suppose to mess up the whole networking of the whole system.

You see, if it'd be user-space application, it'd be as slow and crappy as Apache.
Quote from E.Reiljans :You see, if it'd be user-space application, it'd be as slow and crappy as Apache.

LFS For Mac?
(142 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG