The online racing simulator
Tyre temperatures
(13 posts, started )
Tyre temperatures
Hi,

I'm a total beginner when it comes to setups, but i've been having a go trying to make my own. Bob's Setup Guide helped quite a bit but some of it just went over my head.

The main problem I have is due to the track (SO Sprint 1) having more left turns than right I find my leftside tyres remain cold while my rightside are at optimum temperature. I tried to remedy this by lowering tyre pressure on the leftside and putting heavy camber. Now the tyres heat up at the same rate but I'm assuming this is a bad way to go about things.

Suspension settings are just guesswork for me. The set I've attached is pretty drivable for me.

I was wondering if some of the setup guru's here can have a look and give me a few pointers.

Cheers.
Attached files
XR GT TURBO_TEST.set - 132 B - 202 views
#2 - axus
You can try stiffening the roll bars to allow less of the load to be transfered to the outside tyres during cornering. I think you're worrying too much though. As long as they're not overheating, you're good. The inside tyres matter much much less in a corner and there's not many right handers in Spirit 1... none actually, come to think of it.

Are you trying to make a race setup or a 1 lap setup BTW?
Bobby,

I wouldn't worry about the tyres heating at different rates. On a track full of left turns you want the right tyres warming, you don't have to worry too much about the left tyres because they hardly used.
Thanks for the advice so far guys

Quote from axus :Are you trying to make a race setup or a 1 lap setup BTW?

I'm trying to make a race setup.

I'm fairly happy with the set as it is, I can manage 59.xx. I'm ok on the first split, I can run 17.xx, it's the last two turns I'm struggling to take with any decent speed. If I don't ease off the car spins, still trying to figure out how to remedy that.

Also the dipping left turn after T1, I've seen people just floor it through there. But when I try the car spins out. I'm assuming that's a suspension problem, but not sure precisely what.
What I would suggest is keep trying with your setup, then ask for one of another racer. Compare and adjust. See what happens with settings etc.

It's all about having the time to experiment.
I like assymetric setups. My ideal for a race set is one that is setup optimally for the 'main' side, and then setup so that the less used side responds the same way, albeit with slightly different overall grip. Ie, if you have mild oversteer on turn in on your main side, you want the minor side to do the same, over the course of the race. sometimes this may involve dramatically different pressures and cambers. Try to avoid the temptation to set each side up to heat to optimum temperature - if you're only doing one or two turns a lap on the minor side, it's likely that a little less grip through turns there is more than made up for by running a more realistic tyre pressure and getting better acceleration / top speed.
At SO Sprint 1 I use lots of positive camber on the inside wheels (since all the non-flat corners are lefts), and warm up the outside of the tyres rather than the inside. That way you don't lose out on right handers (there aren't any) but you gain a little during the left handers (i.e. like an oval set).
your setup is completly crazy.
Don't put positive camber to the left wheels, because when you are braking, you are (try to be at least) in straight line, so slightly negative nearly 0° is the best solution.
After, for your spinning troubles at accelerating, the toe-out on the rear wheels has something to do whit that!! Try to find a solution whith a slight toe-in, that will be better. Toe-out is rarely a good solution (that can work btw , but I would not bet on it to be fast)
Quote from Flotch :your setup is completly crazy.

hehe. I was expecting that sooner or later.

As for braking, funnily the set does brake in a straight line it doesn't pull out. One other thing I forgot to mention is I use right-hand drive.

I'll try the toe-in suggestion. I was just going by some of the stuff in Bob's guide, maybe I misunderstood something (so much information!).

I've yet to work on the gear ratio, I'll start that after I get the suspension sorted. Finding a balance between acceleration, top speed and handling is alot harder than it seems .
Rolling temperatures
One other thing I'm confused about. When racing the tyre display sort of jumps about in the red/yellow, but when I come to a stand still (in a matter of seconds) the temperature is green. Does this fluctuation while rolling mean anything or is it just a glitch in the readout?
No, the tyre has actually 48 spots (16 sections * inner/middle/outer) which can individually heat up and wear. The graphic displayed in F9 view shows the part of the tyre that is currently topmost, like you had the sensors installed over the tyre.

So if you lock up your brakes, only a part of the tyre heats up and wears (namely that one that is currently in contact with the road... duh), the other parts are not affected. If you then slowly roll forward, you see that heated part flashing by. If you roll slow enough, you can also stop the car at the exact heat-spot so you can investigate it. You will even see the temperature drop down if you watch it for some time (doesn't take long on an overheated part).
I didn't know lfs was that detailed!

So now I know I'm locking brakes at some point and flatspotting the tyre. I figured out where I'm doing this, now I gotta figure out how to stop it. Is having a few contact points in the red bad or is it inevitable?

I'm having problems while braking for the sharp left at the end (you can hear the funny ABS like sound). Any pointers on what to do? I've been fiddling with the settings, but no luck so far
Attached files
i30i3i3y_SO2_XRT.spr - 17 KB - 172 views
You should never lock up and hot-spot your tyre. Prolonged long ups will lead to flat spots too, which are even worse, and will eventually blow your tyre.

That's not much of a replay you've posted, so can't really get much info from there - but the simplest way would be to reduce brake strength a bit.

Tyre temperatures
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG