The online racing simulator
Evil's of internet piracy
(31 posts, started )
Quote from flymike91 :Thousands of years ago it didn't cost millions to build a recording studio, develop recording hardware/software, train sound technicians, manage talent, organize international tours.....

One does not need to do all of that to be a successful musician. Also, musicians make very little money off music sales these days anyhow.

Quote from flymike91 :...to make blockbuster movie you must pay millions upon millions...hope to make up for it by selling tickets...if no one buys the tickets...how will they continue to make high budget movies?

Internet piracy doesn't affect ticket sales because in my living room I don't have comfy seats with cup holders for a big group of friends, some awesome 10+ speaker sound system, somewhere where I could buy refreshments if I so desire (though usually I'm too cheap to do so and it's usually overpriced), and a 70ft wide screen. Most of the money made from movies is from box-office sales.

Look at the movie Avatar. I didn't like it very much, but that's beside the point. 760 million in domestic box office sales, 190 million in domestic DVD sales. The production budget was 237 million....

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2009/AVATR.php
How is the piracy situation of the top 1% moneymaking music artists, movie and game makers representative about the whole situation anyways? It isn't.

To make music and to get paid doesn't mean you need a world wide tour, zillions of records sold and so forth. The situation is not about being paid or not being paid. It is all about getting paid even more. The top 1% is doing better than ever anyways.

That doesn't mean piracy is ok but you need to put things into some perspective.
Quote from Intrepid :What I love about "you wouldn't steal a car" TV adverts is that if people could 'download' a car... they freakin' would.

PS3 and Good PC games (new/recent ones) I will buy. I buy the odd Album but only after I've downloaded it.
Downloading has many benefits, especially in ease of use. I use my PC more for media, songs, movies etc, than I do for Games. I have a few games, call of duty, Quake 4, Half life series, etc, but I rarely play them. Partly because my computer is a couple of years out of date (plays Crysis 2 OK though) but partly because I've sort of grown out of sitting at my PC for hours playing away.

Now I've downloaded over 350gb in these last 7 days, mainly DVD boxsets etc. Most of these I already have but as I'm moving soon, it's going to be a pain. Discs are annoying, you either lose them, end up putting them in the wrong box, never to be found again - or drop them antecedently and they pick up a load of scratches. Just what you need. Plus for most TV shows, every 3 or 4 episodes you need to move and change disc, it's an effort - Where as where I've downloaded them, I can select the episodes that i want to watch and put them on from the comfort of my bed, can even do it using my iPhone as a mouse (but it's hard to read the episodes from 10 ft away on my little 19 inch widescreen monitor. When I move I'll undoubtedly lose some things but I won't lose my PC which has everything on it.
It's a win-win. If these companies made it easy so I could easily burn Season 5 of House to my PC then, great - I'd have done that, but because they haven't I've downloaded it. I've already got it on DVD so they can hardly do me for piracy, it's a personal copy and I've already bought the DVD so in that respect the license is valid (although technically you are only licences to view that copy on that DVD not another).

Depends on how far they want to push it, they won't be able to stop online piracy, it's here to stay and some performing artists actually appreciate it because only about 8% of their income is from record sales, most of it from promotional material such as T-Shirts, shows, royalties from radio play and, the biggest chunk, live performances!! If they want to stop piracy are they also going to put some sort of chip into DVD players which mean you can only play that copy of the DVD on the first DVD player you put it into, to stop you lending it to your mates?

Evil's of internet piracy
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG