The online racing simulator
Logitech G27 in a real car
(27 posts, started )
Quote from speedway :Have there been any tests on how a g27 will perform when your head hits on it in case of an accident?

Doubt it would perform any different than a Nardi/Sparco/Momo/Etc
Would depend on the power steering ratios etc, but it would be cool.......

Airbags are for wooses anyway, how many LFS cars run airbags and how many people have died given the spectacular accidents we've all managed?
if your cars is too old for air bags, it's guaranteed too old for "drive by wire".
So the g27 wheel won't withstand the forces needed for non-assisted steering the car.
shall i go on?
Boring !!!

Drill it and sleeve it, not hard.

Join in the fun mate, everything is possible given enough stupidity and enthusiasm.

That and refusing to believe those who say it can't be done
I have no clue, but wouldn't it be too much force for the wheel to handle? Even with servo it can be pretty damn hard / much forces.
(also in a collision the wheel would break and all hell would be lose inside the car. For safety I would advice you to not do this)

Also, I am not here to judge but thinking of this:
SIM wheels is created for the soul purpose of minimizing the gap between games and reality, but why you take the game and makes it reality? It's messed up IMO

But by all means, if you are unsure if it works - try it out
Are you good at fixing stuff or is this something completely new for 'ya?
Who'd believe that 201mph was possible from a 1920s Indian.

Really can't see the problem, and it would look cool on a Ricer!!!
I have my doubts, I have my doubts
drive/fly by wire is essentially the same thing, you substitute the direct mechanical connection of wheels/sticks, flaps/steered wheels with sensors/actuators.
Don't know how many Airbuses we have here, most of our stuff tends to have a steering column going to the front end.

And wiring in the buttons would be fun.
Well I hate to shut down ideas and dreams to people, so I am going to say: Go for it! Try it out and see if it works, if it does not you learned something on the way too

But keep in mind, the safety here, because if you crash with that wheel, you are ****ed lol
Lol
Well I wish you good luck with the project, keeps us updated on how it develops
HAHAH... Massive nerd alarm everybody.

No jokes aside though, i don't think it would be a pwrabrem to unbolt the wheel, and put it in your car, another thing though, I've noticed that the firring for the Wheel itself is very soft and fragile.

Compared to my daily drivers wheel, G25/G27 is too soft for road action.
Don't you need some special permit to **** with your vehicles electronics?
#14 - JJ72
machine an adapter, shouldn't be hard if you know the right people.

It's going to be a very small wheel even for something like a MX5 though.
This comes in to mind what could possibly happen. Forces inflicted on the steering wheel in a real car are something quite different from the plastic toys the wheel was actually designed for.

But hey, go for it! Just try not to kill anyone else when driving with it if shit does hit the fan.
#16 - Jakg
The thing I hate most about the G25 is the wheel itself - so small.

I'd love to use a "proper" wheel on it... the last thing I'd want is that wheel in my car!
Quote from S3ANPukekoh3 :Don't ask why, but is possible to unbolt a g27 and somehow get hold of a boss kit that would fit, and use it in a real car? Has anyone done it before?

The G25 uses one of the standard PCDs used for aftermarket steering wheels, measure it and then go shopping for an appropriate adapter for your car, very easy to fit. I guess the G27 will be the same.

It is also an awfully bad idea, the G25 wheel (again I assume the G27 is similar) is cheap and horrible and too much flex even for sim racing, I wouldn't recommend using it in a real car. The G25 also uses the plastic centre piece to locate the wheel, which has oversized holes in it. You would have to be mad to trust Logitech's fine design work in a real car. It is a toy in the end of the day.

Quote from micha1980de :if your cars is too old for air bags, it's guaranteed too old for "drive by wire".

Has anybody actually made a drive by wire car yet?

You can use a smaller wheel in a non-power assisted car, it'll just be a bit heavier to park.
Quote from ajp71 :Has anybody actually made a drive by wire car yet?

I'm sure someone has done it, nowadays everything is invented hehe

I can't remember if it is in whole Europe, or only in Formula 1 rules, it's ilegal not to have a steering column.
Quote :Don't ask why, but is possible to unbolt a g27 and somehow get hold of a boss kit that would fit, and use it in a real car? Has anyone done it before?

I just think that would be really cool.

:ices_rofl :ambulance ,no comment..
p.s: Yes it can be done!, but, don't do it...
Quote from S3ANPukekoh3 :I think I will try it, I'll try and get hold of a wrecked g27 and a boss kit, im sure with a bit of bodging it will work.

I've found plenty of real wheels on the market that are exactly the same size (270mm) so size shouldn't be too much of an issue:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spar ... 2eb96d2061#ht_3696wt_1037

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=270mm+steering+wheel

I dont think it is exact... no special buttons

Most steering wheels are mounted on steering rod with splines.
I better show it:

You need matching splines for your steering rod or use some joint for racing wheel.
Quote from ajp71 :The G25 uses one of the standard PCDs used for aftermarket steering wheels, measure it and then go shopping for an appropriate adapter for your car, very easy to fit. I guess the G27 will be the same.

It is also an awfully bad idea, the G25 wheel (again I assume the G27 is similar) is cheap and horrible and too much flex even for sim racing, I wouldn't recommend using it in a real car. The G25 also uses the plastic centre piece to locate the wheel, which has oversized holes in it. You would have to be mad to trust Logitech's fine design work in a real car. It is a toy in the end of the day.

Has anybody actually made a drive by wire car yet?

You can use a smaller wheel in a non-power assisted car, it'll just be a bit heavier to park.

IIRC the Toyota Pod concept was drive by wire. Should be a few other concepts with it too.
Quote from LineR32 :IIRC the Toyota Pod concept was drive by wire. Should be a few other concepts with it too.

If I'm not mistaken Citroën was experimenting with a fully digital streeing in a C5 a couple of years ago... I even saw a vid demonstrating its flight yoke like wheel with analog buttons for throttle and (I assume) brake...
Quote from AndRand :I dont think it is exact... no special buttons

Most steering wheels are mounted on steering rod with splines.
I better show it:

You need matching splines for your steering rod or use some joint for racing wheel.

Irrelevant if hes using a boss kit...
If you send me your existing steering wheel and a g27 I'll happily make it work. Spin the spline out of the factory wheel, machine up an adapter boss for the g27 weld the spline to the boss and your sorted.
Yup
Of course you can but will it work and is it strong enough to take the forces applied to it without breaking off the hub are the questions you should consider.

A steering wheel can be made out of anything round, or square, or any shape as long as it is within the same size as the original and will operate in the same movement range a normal steering wheel has.

Here's what you do:

1) Get an aftermarket steering wheel hub for your car, momo is a good one

2) Take a piece of paper, make an outline of the hub, then poke holes where the screw holes are on the hub into the paper (your template)

3) Place template as centered as you can onto your desired steering wheel then mark the holes.

4) Drill holes into the center part of the wheel you want to use to match the holes on the aftermarket hub

5) Attach the hub to steering column first using center locknut, then screw on the wheel you just made to the hub

...and you're done. This is the same method you have to do when you buy a brand-new untapped racing steering wheel, same process. It will work.

Logitech G27 in a real car
(27 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG