The online racing simulator
Bulldozer.
(25 posts, started )
Bulldozer.
According to my special little e-mail from Tiger Direct, the Bulldozers are out finally. Instinct must buy for those who bought the AM3+ boards or wait a couple weeks? If only i had the money, i'd definitively pick one up.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/app ... No=1239958&CatId=1946
If you already have an am3+ board maybe but otherwise what is the point. I have always liked amd as their performance per £ has always been good, especially taking into account motherboard prices too. Bulldozer though doesn't really cut it against sandybridge especially when you take into overclocks, the power draw of bulldozer is stupid. With Sandybridge-E round the corner it seems its another nail in the coffin of a higher performance amd cpu
Quote from Greboth :Bulldozer though doesn't really cut it against sandybridge especially when you take into overclocks, the power draw of bulldozer is stupid.

wat.

You do realize that only two of 8-core models draw 125W, every other ones (eight-core 8120/8100, six core 6120/6100 and quad core 4120/4100) are 95W just like i5 2500K / i7 2600K?
its about performance per watt... and bulldozer quite simply sucks in terms of that
Quote from E.Reiljans :wat.

You do realize that only two of 8-core models draw 125W, every other ones (eight-core 8120/8100, six core 6120/6100 and quad core 4120/4100) are 95W just like i5 2500K / i7 2600K?

you really do pretend to know more than you know even more than i do don't you
Quote from S14 DRIFT :you really do pretend to know more than you know even more than i do don't you

Prove him wrong instead of acting like u know better then.
Quote from E.Reiljans :wat.

Quote from Shotglass :its about performance per watt... and bulldozer quite simply sucks in terms of that

Quote from hazaky :Prove him wrong instead of acting like u know better then.

Like this

Yes Bulldozer is 8 core (though it is actually 4 modules each of 2 cores which slows the chip down apparently, I haven't read too much on this though so I can't comment on it) so the power draw will be high. I expected it to be higher than sandybridge but as shotglass said it's performance per watt. If it was twice as fast a sandybridge cpu and pulled twice the power the high power consumption would be annoying but acceptable due to the performance but it isn't faster so the power draw is too high. I also mentioned the overclocked power consumption, 2600k i7 clocks higher, has a higher clock for clock performance and has lower power consumption. Bulldozer clocks higher than Phenom but also draw more power.

There just seems to be so little reason to buy bulldozer as for the general consumer you will end up spending most of the time drawing more power for less processing power and the times where bulldozer is quicker than sandybridge wont make up for it. Obviously there are exceptions as some people can make use of 8 cores (virtual machines, rendering, video encoding etc) but these people aren't average joe on the street.

Hopefully through some driver fixing (seen snipets about schedulers in windows 8, again though haven't read much into it) bulldozer can be more competitive but being a new process also, hopefully later iterations (i.e. Piledriver) will be better as we need competition in the cpu market. Luckily for us amd are still doing well in the gpu market so they should be around for sometime to come.
Quote from hazaky :Prove him wrong instead of acting like u know better then.

Done that too many times before to bother continuing to argue with him. Besides Greboth did it here for me.
So it uses 20x more power and still isn't faster? Sounds like a great CPU to me.
>582W when overclocked
>vcore = 1.5V at most
>388 amps

yeah, seems totally possible with those 0.0001 mm pins.

Keep believing bit-tech, guys.
You were perma banned from the forums nothing you say matters.
I think that is the highest I have seen in a review but it is still really high. The reviews all give power consumption at stock at around 200W - 250W (and I think the difference comes from quite how the measure it) The end result is still too much power consumption for too little performance unless you are able to take advantage of all 8 cores.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :You were perma banned from the forums nothing you say matters.

Yeah, considering how well you did at physics..
Believing that 0.00001mm pins can carry 388 amps is like believing what Intel-sponsored malvertisers say.. and you do!
bulldozer struggles to beat a cpu that came out 3 years ago.. (i7 920)
#15 - Jakg
Quote from E.Reiljans :>582W when overclocked
>vcore = 1.5V at most
>388 amps

yeah, seems totally possible with those 0.0001 mm pins.

Keep believing bit-tech, guys.

Obviously the figures quoted aren't JUST for the CPU - they are for the entire PC, which is how they are always quoted...
Quote from Jakg :Obviously the figures quoted aren't JUST for the CPU - they are for the entire PC, which is how they are always quoted...

>always
only on retarded review sites.
internet conversations lol
#18 - Jakg
Quote from E.Reiljans :>always
only on retarded review sites.

I've never seen a review done any other way. How would you measure it?

Even so... does it matter? It's obvious from the graph all those are PC-usages, not CPU - as long as they are all the same type of test it's still fair.

And if were pushing semantics - AMD require that as part of the AM3 socket design specification that each pin is rated for a 1.5A load.

1.5A @ 1.5V = 2.25w per pin. Accross 938 pins thats 2.1kW. Obviously not all are power (in fact very few will be), but if even 100 were for supplying +1.5v then you've got 225w right there.
Quote from Jakg :I've never seen a review done any other way. How would you measure it?

Buying a EPS12V connector extension cable (even 10 inches would be enough), bridging the grounds (so there's just one fat ground) and running it through a high-end amp meter, then multiplying by 12 (voltage) to get watts.
You can argue all you like about how to measure power consumption but you have to say that either or all review sites are pro intel as they all publish similar power consumption figures or that bulldozer pulls alot of power and when taken in conjunction with performance figures is poor in the performance per watt calculation.
#21 - Jakg
Quote from E.Reiljans :Buying a EPS12V connector extension cable (even 10 inches would be enough), bridging the grounds (so there's just one fat ground) and running it through a high-end amp meter, then multiplying by 12 (voltage) to get watts.

Is that power source just for the CPU? From memory thats also used for other parts of the mobo, and then some of the ATX power cables also deliver power to the CPU.

Plus - there will be VRM's etc converting 12v to 1.5v - different motherboards will have different efficiencies - even if you found a "direct" CPU feed, you could still get large variations easily.
Quote from Jakg :Is that power source just for the CPU? From memory thats also used for other parts of the mobo, and then some of the ATX power cables also deliver power to the CPU.

Plus - there will be VRM's etc converting 12v to 1.5v - different motherboards will have different efficiencies - even if you found a "direct" CPU feed, you could still get large variations easily.

If motherboard does it right, only EPS12V connector is used for CPU. If motherboard does it wrong, there's no much sense in using it for testing stuff.
Was so excited for Bulldozer and then this happens... It's Barcelona all over again.

Oh well let's hope they can make it decent in the next few years.
It isn't even so bad per se - it's the fact that they worked 3-4 years to deliver something that can't consistently beat even their own CPUs not to mention Sandy Bridge, that makes it quite disappointing.

Obviously they went for the server market, hope they can deliver there. GPUs are also going for the pro market with GCN, but consumers should get a decent performance bump too, I had hoped for the same from Bulldozer, eh...

Bulldozer.
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG