The online racing simulator
Sony's new headset could be a game changer
(16 posts, started )
Look pretty cool, $800 though oooof.
#3 - Mysho
Holy mother****ing god, looks exactly the same as something from sci-fi future films.
I have been waiting for this day. Dat future.
Quote from anttt69 :
At its price point it is a direct competitor for those upgrading to triple monitor setups.

I don't hink an eyefinity setup costs atm more then 800 US$.
Mine was around 700 (Ati card + 2 extra TFTs as everyone usually have at least one TFT)

Quote from anttt69 :
The immersion factor would be far greater than any multi monitor setup could ever give.

Till you want to block the LFS ingame chat or have to press some other keys like for driver change (hmm where is the keyboard can't see it)

Anyway that thing looks cool.
But didn't we had something like that 10 years ago.
Like where I also had the first Nvidia 3D glasses for my PC.
Looks like everything is coming back every 10 years (of course with better technik inside but I don't think it will be a mass market hit).
Quote from BBO@BSR :Till you want to block the LFS ingame chat or have to press some other keys like for driver change (hmm where is the keyboard can't see it)

>being unable to blindwrite
>2011

Also, I suspect this'll have bad impact on eyesight due to eyes getting used to another focusing 'preset' when wearing those glasses.
How do your eyes get along with this thing? I guess you have to spend limited time on this, either you can buy new glasses.
cool outlook, seems as if you could watch 3d movies without even having to leave your bed...
How about eye health? Right now the problem with pc users having eye problems is that eye constantly has to focus at the area while when looking at average distance (lets say, above 1m or so) the muscles are not being stressed. Now, with this - it has to be good enough to trick our brains that we're looking at high distance not close. But then, u cant focus on the screen. And lets be honest, most people cant even focus sight at this close distance - even if they can, the muscles are strained alot wich causes pain in eyes.

Edit: Try playing a game on your phone while holding the screen as close as ur eye can focus. 10 minutes and your eyes are going to hurt. Specially when ur doing this at night time.
IIRC there's no head tracking included in this unit.

It's also pretty heavy and poorly balanced - all the weight is at the front making it uncomfortable to wear, apparently.
Quote from thisnameistaken :IIRC there's no head tracking included in this unit.

Deal-breaker - it's a bit pointless without this. Although I suppose there's no reason you couldn't use TrackIR or FreeTrack with it too.

I've been tempted to get a Vuzix vr920 for a few years now, but their refusal to update the resolution from 640x480 has always put me off.
#12 - JJ72
It does need more feature to worth its price, I see it will be useful for places with very small flat, but having a ridiculously big TV right in front of your face isn't something new. And not to mention you can't game with your buddies if you have forgone a big TV in favor of this, it's a pretty risky investment even for early adopters.
I guess all those futuristic movies were true.
Quote from PMD9409 :I guess all those futuristic movies were true.

And then we're flying back to 80s where everyone has those gigantic glasses that magnify like hell ...
Quote from Crashgate3 :Deal-breaker - it's a bit pointless without this. Although I suppose there's no reason you couldn't use TrackIR or FreeTrack with it too.

I bet you could balance more stuff on your head whilst playing a game if you tried. Maybe a little plastic lasso or a pickaxe or something, kicking it old-school.
I've had a Z800 for a few years now that I think I picked up for around $700-$800. That had built in accelerometers for head tracking (in rotation only, not 6dof, and it didn't work all that great but it was pretty cool anyway). 800x600 res but you wouldn't know it. I didn't believe it at first and had to check the specs again. I could write documents on it and have no trouble seeing it.

Focusing wasn't a problem even with the screens so close to your eyes. The 3D effect is stunning. In one shooter game some guy that was hiding really far away shot a laser at me while I was standing on top of a three story tower. I think I actually ducked by instinct. Totally a different thing than 2D monitors. It's something everybody really ought to try. Flight Simulator actually made me nauseous when flying between sky scrapers. That was a first. I'm not prone to motion sickness.

The only negative was that I kept wanting the screens to be a little bit bigger or closer. Nevermind all that "it's just like a 64 inch screen at this viewing distance" type of talk. Geometrically that's probably correct, but don't let your imagination go too wild on that.

The best comparison I could make was that I was running it on a laptop that had a 17" screen. When I tipped my head back and looked down at the monitor, it was almost exactly the same size as what I was looking at through the Z800. So it's in no way the same type of impression and field of view that you get with triple monitors or even a single 22" monitor. I just kept wishing the screens were a little bigger or closer to the eyes.

I had fun with it for quite some time though, but it's probably been two years since it's been used (probably the only piece of electronics I've owned that's actually gone up in value with time). Personally I think a 3D triple monitor setup or 3D projector would be far more immersive, but if you get a chance to try one of these dual screen VR headsets you really must. It's quite something.

(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG