The online racing simulator
Optional sirens into car
(65 posts, started )

Poll : Want sirens into LFS?

Yes.
No, why?
Whilst it's very optimistic to ask for audible sirens, safety cars/pace cars are in a lot of other sims - half the Simbin titles for a start - and safety cars/official vehicles do play a significant part in real life motorsport.

The wording of the original post could have been a lot better, but the idea is a good one. It does have plenty of use in a racing environment and it keeps the cruisers happy.

Not that this is ever going to happen anyway.
I like the idea as well. Would be very nice.
For all the ones saying 'No this is a race simulator' go and watch some racing. You'll see a safetycar actually has a lightbar on top.
Hmm.. Odd..
Quote from CrAZySkyPimp :Looking at his age on lfsw, all these threads and wierd ideas makes sence.

He's an infant. :maggiesim
An actual safety car?

Epic.

Just sayin'
I say yes too.

I'm a person that plays on a cruise server, and having a car with lightbars on top of the roof, would be amazing. However, i think this is hard to add.

Therefore it would be very cool, if the dev's could just add a 'wig wag' police strobe light.

This makes your frontlights go flash left-right-left-right
As it is now; both-both-both-both

Video of wig-way flash lights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtKWEjyxKK8

If this can be added, you can do endless things.
You can make them flash slowly
also fast
u can make them flash very fast :P

This would be a good thing to start with, i think.
Would be awesome if like the roof closed or open in the pit menu with safety car light bar and police light bar.

But the host can pick who can use them.

Also if there was a amber safety car light bar then it could be used for tow cars as well.

Cool if there was grill lights as well

Allot of work but I think that it would be worth it.
I'm with the idea of a safety car.

+1
I think that like a strobe program or stuff like that there is a program to make the go amber or red and blue with hot keys. or maybe a script or a in game program thing I like the last one best
-
(Zay) DELETED by Zay
+1 I WANT IT for cruise enough said :P
Quote from pärtan :I think it's a good idea. Make the strobes orange and suddenly it won't be cruise related unless people who want to use it in cruising purposes get some blue/red DDS files for it. It's not unrealistic for a racing simulator and it shouldn't be too complicated to add either. Also add some admin controll over the function so that not a bunch of people drive around with strobe lights on the roof :P

Agree with above.
Quote from Mr_Lonely :I think it's a good idea. Make the strobes orange and suddenly it won't be cruise related unless people who want to use it in cruising purposes get some blue/red DDS files for it. It's not unrealistic for a racing simulator and it shouldn't be too complicated to add either. Also add some admin controll over the function so that not a bunch of people drive around with strobe lights on the roof :P

But the problem with the dds ones NO ONE CAN SEE THEM BUT U!!!
Also sometimes racers want a brake from racing so the go cruising.
And its not a pure racing sim its a better relaxed one where people can come and have a bit of fun away from the pure sims like iRacing. although iRacing is fun when it gets close
Quote from Jonathon.provost :But the problem with the dds ones NO ONE CAN SEE THEM BUT U!!!
Also sometimes racers want a brake from racing so the go cruising.
And its not a pure racing sim its a better relaxed one where people can come and have a bit of fun away from the pure sims like iRacing. although iRacing is fun when it gets close

Actually that's incorrect. Not only you can see the DDS files. Everyone who got the DDS files can see the DDS files so if the majority of the cruisers have modified DDS files then that problem is solved. And you can always have 2 copys of LFS installed at once. One where you do racing and one where you do cruising and have cruising related mods.
Quote from pfpdoodlez2009 :I'm with the idea of a safety car.

+1

No no no no no, NO

No sirens, no wind up windows, no kids as passengers or baby seats, no mcdonnalds drive thru's or retails parks.

It's a racing simulator, please let Scavier keep it that way.
Do they not have safety cars in real racing then?
Does sim racing have any of the same safety hazards as real racing?
I know when I had a big race once, I can't remember what one sorry, and I think it was a 2 hour event in the FOX but I flipped at the 1 hour 30 mark and there wasn't a safety car.
I was fighting for the lead and wouldn't you be pissed off that you couldn't continue as there was no tows or safety cars.
Any way most leagues have safety car and tow units now.
What harm would it be if you had an option to put a light bar on the roof of you car?
You could always turn it off, It wont make it a "game" just a sim gone better.
Quote from Forbin :Does sim racing have any of the same safety hazards as real racing?

In that sense, a racing simulator does not require driver models much less driver models wearing helmets and suits, properly modeled race-car cockpits with roll-cages and fire extinguishers, tracks with tyrewalls, sand/gravel traps, etc. All it needs it's a rudimentary fictional vehicle that obeys simulated laws of physics as accurately as possible and two parallel lines that define a circuit with complete disregard for simulating the experience of racing, not caring if race tracks actually look like actual race tracks or race cars actually look like actual race cars or that racing situations resemble actual racing situations.
Ow and have it as "That all do" nothing else, If you gona make a sim MAKE it a sim not a game that has cars that are "OK" if you do that it makes it unfun to drive the sim and people wont use it
Quote from xaotik :In that sense, a racing simulator does not require driver models much less driver models wearing helmets and suits, properly modeled race-car cockpits with roll-cages and fire extinguishers, tracks with tyrewalls, sand/gravel traps, etc. All it needs it's a rudimentary fictional vehicle that obeys simulated laws of physics as accurately as possible and two parallel lines that define a circuit with complete disregard for simulating the experience of racing, not caring if race tracks actually look like actual race tracks or race cars actually look like actual race cars or that racing situations resemble actual racing situations.

Sounds good to me. All I see when I'm racing, even in real life, is the path of the track, my line through it, any necessary reference points along the way, and any vehicles in my way. Nothing else matters. Everything else is a distraction.

Frankly, I'm a bit annoyed by the emphasis racing sims place on emulating real life, namely real life cars, real life tracks, real life procedures (e.g. safety car). All that does is limit creativity and diminish the purity of the experience. You have this totally open world where anything is possible. Just apply proper physics so everything feels right, and go from there.
Quote from Kristi :You are here for a year, and you wanna turn the game into a Cruise Simulator. What? It isnt.

Hi cheesecake, Theoretically LFS is a driving simulator, released as a racing simulator.
Quote from Jonathon.provost :I know when I had a big race once, I can't remember what one sorry, and I think it was a 2 hour event in the FOX but I flipped at the 1 hour 30 mark and there wasn't a safety car.
I was fighting for the lead and wouldn't you be pissed off that you couldn't continue as there was no tows or safety cars.

Of course. But that's racing.

The driver behind you may have been slower but didn't make a major mistake, and therefore deserved the win. The fastest driver who kept their cool and had the right pit strategy won the race. The purity of the sport was preserved.
WTF are you talking about you don't even know what race it was
and actually that driver didn't even win
Quote from Jonathon.provost :WTF are you talking about you don't even know what race it was
and actually that driver didn't even win

Why does it matter what race it was? It's a race. The objective is the same for all of them. Go fast without screwing up and hope that's fast enough to win. You screwed up, so you lost. Someone else was maybe slower than you but faster than the rest, didn't screw up as badly as you, and won.

Where's the problem here?

This is racing. You make a mistake, you pay for it, sometimes with a DNF. What makes you think you deserve a second chance after screwing up so badly?

Optional sirens into car
(65 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG