The online racing simulator
Quote from BlueFlame :Or it could just be a bad diesel motor :P.

If the diesel motor is good, the last thing you should need to do it boot it. Diesels can be worked hard by ramming it into the highest gear at the soonest interval and going full throttle from there.

Quite possible, although they were both fleet vans (mine was BT his was Royal Mail), I've maintained my engine quite well (another oil/filters change is due actually), where as he is overdue an oil/filters change by about 2 years. A lot of that is because the Ford 1.8D is bullet proof. The van will fail before the engine.

Sticking it in high gear and using full throttle doesn't labour the engine quite the same way. It just puts extra load on the clutch. Your engine wants to spin, the gears won't let it. Ideally you want weight based loads using lower gears. I'm getting 50MPH in a very hilly environment. The neighbour is only getting 40MPH. Ford claim it can get 55-60MPH. So I'm more than happy with 50.

Quote from bunder9999 :diesels are dirty pigs though, step on the gas and thick black smoke comes out.

That is because a lot of them are tuned to run rich when on boost. So you get a lot of unburnt fuel, unlike on a petrol engine where most of the unburnt fuel can combust on the way out of the exhaust, diesel engines don't have the same luxury.

My diesel runs stupidly clean, the only overfueling comes when I fire it up.
my car doesn't have a redline, does this mean i can run it on 7000rpms foreva?
Quote from bunder9999 :diesels are dirty pigs though, step on the gas and thick black smoke comes out.

there is no substitute for lots of torque

But I need to get that DPF removed as soon as possible on my new car, it's killing it... Doesn't produce black smoke because of that though
It's always bad to push an engine while cold. It's good for the motor though for the occasional throttle punch to clear it out of carbon build up.
Quote from FPVaaron :It's always bad to push an engine while cold. It's good for the motor though for the occasional throttle punch to clear it out of carbon build up.

My dad had an MOT failure because he had lots of carbon build-up in the exhaust.

Solution: small solution in the fuel tank + higher revs.

It was fun, although dieseling at 4.5K RPM does hurt the ears a bit.

It does sound really really really annoying, because you just want to hear the car shift up, it doesn't sound healthy =P.
Quote from BlakjeKaas : you just want to hear the car shift up, it doesn't sound healthy =P.

Better don't drive an S2000 then. You have to resist the urge to shift to the next gear at 6k rpm... and take it all the way to 9k. Whenever i let somebody drive the car, i always have to tell them not to shift too early...
Quote from BlakjeKaas :My dad had an MOT failure because he had lots of carbon build-up in the exhaust.

Solution: small solution in the fuel tank + higher revs.

It was fun, although dieseling at 4.5K RPM does hurt the ears a bit.

It does sound really really really annoying, because you just want to hear the car shift up, it doesn't sound healthy =P.

You should drive your dad's car more often. Since I've had my own car, his car's fuel consumption has increased slightly.
#35 - Jakg
Quote from jibber :Better don't drive an S2000 then. You have to resist the urge to shift to the next gear at 6k rpm... and take it all the way to 9k. Whenever i let somebody drive the car, i always have to tell them not to shift too early...

The thing is, an S2000 makes a nice noise. A diesel doesn't. Especially at the top end.
Quote from Jakg :The thing is, an S2000 makes a nice noise.

Can't be that nice if you refer to it as 'noise'.
Agreed. Real engines make music, not noise.
Quote from Jakg :The thing is, an S2000 makes a nice noise. A diesel doesn't. Especially at the top end.

My diesel sings a beautiful tune when I rag it. Helps that I have yet another exhaust leak, so it just sounds sporty.

But I regularly ring out as much from my engine as I can, so it always revs high. A double digit 0-60 dash is hell, as is having 60bhp to play with. I approach every hill with a sense of dread and loathing because I know I'll end up in 3rd or 2nd and crawling up.
Quote from Bob Smith :Agreed. Real engines make music, not noise.

Maybe I'm pedantic, but it annoys me when people refer to a good sounding engine as NOISE. Top Gear are very guilty of that maybe others followed but you don't refer to your favourite song as noise, so why refer to a good sounding engine as noise?
A question about pushing the car to it's limits:
My dad's car is allmost fourteen, it's 1.4 ford fiesta with 90 hp engine and my question is - is it dangerous to drive it at maximal speed?
:/ yeah. Diesel.. not a pretty sound, that sounds like a truck lol, so wrong sounding, I wouldn't know what to think if I saw a merc that sounded like that drive by me down the highway, I would probably laugh actually
Sounds awesome to me...
#46 - JJ72
Quote from Marin2 :My dad's car is allmost fourteen, it's 1.4 ford fiesta with 90 hp engine and my question is - is it dangerous to drive it at maximal speed?

How old are you again?
Quote from Glenn67 :I have a diesel 10kva genset on the farm and the manual recommends running it under at least 80% load for best efficiency and to maintain engine health so mybe it is true for diesel cars also?

Cool, thanks for the fact check, good to know there is something to it.
I'm not sure the 'italian tuneup' is a good thing for cars with very high miles or existing damage to the engine. Am I wrong?
Quote from JJ72 :How old are you again?

I am threteen, but what's that matter?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that S2000 or any other gasoline engine sounds bad. I'm just saying that diesels can also play nice melodies, but it's of course matter of taste, some people like it and some are like "sounds like a truck lololololol, trucks sound bad because they are trucks".

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG