The online racing simulator
Virgin Galactic
(42 posts, started )
Call me a fool, but how can that galactic thing travel space because it wouldn't be able to turn without thrust vectoring nozzles (which it doesn't appear to have [on that picture at least]).
Quote from 5haz :There are plenty of people mad enough.

As I recall, Princess Beatrice's squeeze (who works for VG) had talked her into buying a place on one of the first paying flights.

So clearly the Royal family are still rather insane.
it's sub orbit. gravity is still acting on the ship? iirc, you only need speed for sub orbit.
Quote from BlueFlame :Call me a fool, but how can that galactic thing travel space because it wouldn't be able to turn without thrust vectoring nozzles (which it doesn't appear to have [on that picture at least]).

it has some small manoeuvre nozzles that work with pressurized gas, like the space shuttle.
Err, it doesn't leave the Earth far enough to need such things. It can't go as far into space as the Space Shuttle can (well, could ).
it reaches heights that normal flight control (by rudders and spoilers) are not possible at, so it has a Orbital Maneuvering System
Quote from ACCAkut :it has some small manoeuvre nozzles that work with pressurized gas, like the space shuttle.

A-ha

Quote from RasmusL :Err, it doesn't leave the Earth far enough to need such things. It can't go as far into space as the Space Shuttle can (well, could ).

So it's basically like getting a ride in an SR-71 then... waste of money really if you ask me..
Of course it's a waste of money. But if it wasn't for people willing to waste money (or equivalent) on audacious visions then we'd still be living in caves.
Quote from Crashgate3 :Of course it's a waste of money. But if it wasn't for people willing to waste money (or equivalent) on audacious visions then we'd still be living in caves.

It's not even going to space. You just see the earth from teh limits of the atmosphere. Not exactly a select few..
So? It's better than has been done before (by civilians, and technologically by anyone). And after than someone will eventually do better. And so on.

And that's why we're not freezing to death in a mountain in France waiting for lightning to strike a tree so we can keep warm.
http://www.xcor.com/

These people are also offering a similar experience for less than beardy Branson. I quite like their rocket ship .
At last, nice to see a company present a real world space tourism package flight-plan.
Attached images
averagejoespacetourism.jpg
'1. Sell Kidney'
A little pessimism here, the second a group of civilians dies on a commercial space flight the whole idea of space tourism is going to go down the tube for another 20+ years. Most likely the governments would see that as a chance to prevent privatization of space for good.
True there is a risk attached but i doubt thats going to stop many people enjoying the experience of a lifetime. Think about it, do you ever consider not going by plane because it might crash.

Space is going commercial & space tourism is gaining momentum. I would hope that governments support pioneers such as Branson & Xcor. In 50 years time space tourism could be taking us to the moon & mars.

A moon base might be a logical step forward from the ISS. They can already make water from moon dust so a small settlement is not out of the question.
Quote from anttt69 :True there is a risk attached but i doubt thats going to stop many people enjoying the experience of a lifetime. Think about it, do you ever consider not going by plane because it might crash.

Or even a car? Many more (sorry, no source, so 'many more' is all you get ) people are killed in car crashes on the way to the airport than are killed in plane crashes but no-one panics about that.
Latest on the project:
Virgin Galactic successfully completes SpaceShipTwo glide flight test and rocket motor firing on same day.

http://www.virgingalactic.com/

Virgin Galactic
(42 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG