The online racing simulator
Editable LFS banners!
(15 posts, started )

Poll : Do you like custom banners?

Yes
No
Editable LFS banners!
The pictures are in host pc, and they show to everybody.
Of course! That makes perfect sense!
Quote from xfirestorm :Of course! That makes perfect sense!

I think he means that the banners on the tracks could be custom like skins on each server...
Quote from anbiddulph :I think he means that the banners on the tracks could be custom like skins on each server...

Thanks for the explanation, because I've had no clue what so ever about what he is talking about.
YES! i've been thinking this would be a good idea too
but also editable chalk- so you could write stuff in chalk?
Yes, then we can download 3 gigabytes of some custom stuff before we race.
Nobody wants LFS to step on the way of rFactor. It's fine with the pickup and race style.
Options > Misc > Ad "skins" download > [Yes]/[No]

I do like the sound of it; but it would be messy.
Quote from Silverracer :Options > Misc > Ad "skins" download > [Yes]/[No]

I bet only broadcasters would select yes then.

Anyway - it's some way to get money for LFS devs team - you wan't custom ads in your server? Pay some cents for each unique server visitor per day,visitors see servers ads (should be an option to select quality,so low bandwith users or low end PC owners won't suffer) - winwin for all! But it's some financial trouble - taxes and stuff,so... I guess not until LFS ver. 1.0 is done.
You can make it a premium service; to upload banners or to download them. Those who want to will do so.
Love the idea. Maybe the same could be done for some .dds files too.

Of course the service would be optional, and wouldn't necessary be free.
Why would money need to change hands? The cleanest way to do this is have the custom ads on the host pc (as stated in the OP), and those who choose to allow downloading of ads (in low or hi res) download it from the host, not from LFSWorld like we do for skins. Nothing about this says "Scavier need money for this".

Think about what ads are displayed now though, some are tied in with the two BMW formula cars that LFS has, that probably came from some sort of agreement. Allowing hosts to change those at a whim may go against such an agreement. Who knows.
Money changing hands is not directly related; I thought it would be, due to the following line of thought.

If you let any host host banner ads for (public) servers they might be misused. You know, for "lulz"? Might be for a laugh but you can clearly have images that might not be suited for people who hop on a server for some pickup racing. IMO, even if someone complains about it, no one might be able to do something about it...

But, if we used a similar system to that of LFSW skins, it could be enforced to a certain degree. If it could be provided as free service by Scavier (if it is allowed to without breaking any agreements) good for us. If not, we can pay a small fee for the bandwidth that we eat up due to to the use of ad downloads...
Quote from Silverracer :If you let any host host banner ads for (public) servers they might be misused. You know, for "lulz"? Might be for a laugh but you can clearly have images that might not be suited for people who hop on a server for some pickup racing. IMO, even if someone complains about it, no one might be able to do something about it...

Just don't download them if you don't want to face the risk of facing potentially shocking/disturbing/inappropriate banners? Nothing would oblige you to do so.

Just for the record, many skins uploaded at LFSW do not meet the rules - especially on nudity. I don't think the devs make any kind of active moderation on them. Now I can't recall seeing anyone complaining about it. So why there should be a problem on add baners when there's none on skins?
Quote from Kristi :Nobody wants LFS to step on the way of rFactor. It's fine with the pickup and race style.

:P I don't know rFactor... Just know the name.

Editable LFS banners!
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG