The online racing simulator
Follow view
(46 posts, started )
Follow view
Hi Scawen,

I send to you a message because i have a problem.
I drive with follow view since i play on LFS and you know we don't have mirrors with this view.
So my question is, why we don't have mirrors like custom view with follow view ?
Because of that, i can drive in majority of LFS Championship

Some pictures for you.

Follow view now : http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/684/followviewnow.jpg/

Custom view : http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/847/customview.jpg/

My idea of new follow view : http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/followviewnew.jpg/

Don't know If you can do something but it could be cool

Best regards, Thanks.
My honest opinion is you should try an internal view. This program is designed to simulate the experience of driving a car, as far as possible without actually moving.

It might take a few hours to get used to it but soon you will be able to drive just as well from inside. And I think you will enjoy LFS more after taking that little time to adjust your skills.
Or use Aonio! Helps a lot for me - can see every car 50m behind and beside too on radar.
Can you help me to use this ?

And to respond to you Rony, how admin can say is i use Aonio ?
There is nothing that indicates to other people in server that you use Aonio as far as I know...
Your follow view looks pretty dangerous to me, you'll surely drive faster and safer if you can see in front of your car...

It's also like those who moan about not having the racing line in open configs - after a bit of practice they get used to it, the same in iRacing where you only have cockpit view!
I use the follow view but i use sounds to know if someone is about to pass me.

I would use cockpit if lfs had better force feedback, Right now you don't feel every movement your car does.
Quote from Scawen :It might take a few hours to get used to it but soon you will be able to drive just as well from inside.

I agree, i also believe he would probly be faster after a few days...just saying.
Aonio
Quote :There is nothing that indicates to other people in server that you use Aonio as far as I know.

If the server is using Airio you can tell if someone is using Aonio from the !pl (player list) command. You get an extra number after their name in a Cyan colour.

Not sure what the number refers to but it means they are using Aonio. And I'm also not sure if this info is only available to server admins or all users.
Quote from Mustangman759 :i dont think it works with 0.6 or my new computer dont know which it is

It doesn't works with 0.6B indeed, I'll make similar app for 0.6B in few next days - thanks for idea
Quote from mutt107 :I would use cockpit if lfs had better force feedback, Right now you don't feel every movement your car does.

Have you ever driven a car?
Not every movement of the car can be felt just through the wheel.
Quote from boothy :It's also like those who moan about not having the racing line in open configs - after a bit of practice they get used to it, the same in iRacing where you only have cockpit view!

Racing line in v2.0 though...
Quote from xfirestorm :Have you ever driven a car?
Not every movement of the car can be felt just through the wheel.

Yes i have driven a car.
Besides the lfs cockpit views are pretty bad, and adjusting them doesn't help.
Not the chase veiw flaming again please
It's a matter of opinion / taste. Some people thinks of LFS as a game, and plays the game, some thinks of it like a car driving simluator / closest thing to real life, and therfor tries to get as close as possible to the feeling of beeing "there".

Neither of those choises are bad, and one and the other should be accepted.
This of course as long you don't ruin the race for others / plays equally safe and nice , I canot see any reason for saying one choise is the right.
I somehow recall chase view in LFS was never actually intended for serious driving, but more of a suspension/telemetry view? Hence the lack of a rear view mirror which is pretty mandatory for driving cleanly.
Quote from Matrixi :Hence the lack of a rear view mirror which is pretty mandatory for driving cleanly.

That's pretty much depending on the driver - not the view.
So may it be, but every day I witness chase view drivers on our server clipping straight in front of someone faster because they can't see which line or side of the road the car behind is going to pass them from.

I don't personally care which viewpoint anyone uses, but when it causes unneeded havoc such as above, I can't think of a reason why not switch to a safer, more realistic camera view as the devs intended.
Quote from Matrixi :So may it be, but every day I witness chase view drivers on our server clipping straight in front of someone faster because they can't see which line or side of the road the car behind is going to pass them from.

The same could be said about in-car views. I can't say how often I remember drivers just closing the door like I wouldn't be there at this moment.

All in all, I agree with TVW's opinion - every view has its (dis)advantages.
That wouldnt make a difference to the original reason why Pierre asked for them Jason, as most leagues in LFS require mirrors, and all the views except follow view uses them. Pierre has used follow view since he started LFS and loves it. Even thought he could have a Look back cam, it still wouldnt be allowed as he wont be able to see whats in front of him when he uses the view so it makes it double as dangerous.

To the 'Mods' - All Pierre and many other people want, is a poxy little mirror at the top of their screen so they can use follow view more safely. Not putting the mirror their isnt going to stop people using the view, its only going to cause more flaming if you dont make one. I doubt it would take much time.
I know man and I agree 100%. I'm just offering something to help in the meantime because there is nothing at the moment. It's just to check back now an again. Kinda like how you look left and right for a glance. I used to have a lot of fun playing in follow chase view - it felt more natural to drive in chase view with my joypad before I bought a wheel.
:P ah mb, i thought you where offering as an alternative to the mirrors
I would use cockpit view if I would have a wheel @ home. Instead of that, I use chase view and it should never removed, specially when host have FCV options
It's a shame ... Still a lot of players use this view and you do nothing to help us
It could have avoided a lot of crashes ... Too bad.

Follow view
(46 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG