The online racing simulator
Quote from Crashgate3 :Paws kind of touches on an issue with physics like this in a multiplayer game - if a car is to have huge amounts of parts break off, and if these are to affect a following car (popping a tyre from running over debris, damage from hitting a larger peice, etc) you'd need to accurately send the exact position and velocity of every single peice over the network to all connected clients.

I don't think this is possible, Sadly, As that is almost 1,000 models, Props, And whatever else to render at a certain speed and velocity. LFS can just barely do the cars without a big amount of lag spikes, I don't think without a major netcode update, And at least a uninterrupted broadband connection, Could it even be possible.

Quote from MadCatX :The biggest problem about PhysX (apart from being nV stuff only) that doesn't make it really useful for crash engines is it's inflexibility. It doesn't give you an empty playground where you can build whatever you wish, it comes with a bunch of predefined algorithms to simulate smoke, cloth and to some extent deformation - pretty much the eye candy kind of things. Whoever played Mafia II probably knows.
There are much more suitable APIs to create a GPU powered crash physics engines like CUDA, DirectCompute or better yet OpenCL. Writing stuff for a GPU with these APIs is a bit of a nightmare though, 'cause you really have to "think multithreaded" to make any use of the power GPU offers.

Sadly, I own nvidia, So I tend to forget the ATi's.. And so forth, My apologies. But I was just tossing out a name of a "good" Physics engine, I was hoping someone would toss out a better, generalized name, Which you did! The great thing about "Eye candy" Is that most of it you can turn off, And most is common sense, Lets for instance put LFS graphics above.. I don't know, Crysis. Do you really need shadows on every piece of grass? Which is what I was hoping could maybe be implemented, Maybe like you said, The car (What we see) Is really just a heavy, Thick cloth. It could get ripped and torn, Maybe the game would need a restart before all this to be started, However, Like in GTA IV, You wouldn't see a car on the other end of blackwood wrap around a pole, It would just use the "default" Crash system, Since there is no real way to accurately sync up a crash far away, As well as taking precious resources from the CPU/GPU. Or maybe every car would have s simple "Health" Mode, Where parts of cars have health.

Of course, We are thinking outside in, And we might be overthinking it, But this could also help in the tire physics way of thing (Maybe?) Having the tire in more 'sectors', However, Look how long the realistic tire physics are taking, Which is sad, But I'm pretty sure when we see a bad car crash in a race, Most of us are like "Oh shit" Or something similar, I don't think anyone would accurately try to calculate the physical properties of the hood deforming into about 500 extra pixels. There is a line for "realism" And a line for "fun" To realistic and sometimes it can dampen your fun, However, A car randomly glitching through cars, is crying tears of laughter, And maybe LFS does in a sense need to "Calm down" On the extreme realism part of LFS.

Of course, With this technology, You'd have some people saying "Well, Wow, LFS was made by three people, It's not a company, you noob" However, Change is good. I'd hope to see maybe some official input from scawen, When dinner has been cooked, Had made love night before, Kids are in bed, Wife is quiet. Maybe we could have some input.
Treating metal sheets like a very thick cloth could work.. hell, it could actually work quite well, question is how much freedom you have if you do this with PhysX/APEX. Metal sheets cars are made of have variable strength, thickness and such and I'm not sure if simulating such materials with PhysX wouldn't be actually harder than writing the algorithms from scratch. PhysX is also a bit of a resource hog so a classic BWGP T1 crash would probably give a Quad-SLI setup run for the money...
A more sensible approach could be splitting a car to a reasonable amount of small segments and let the GPU calculate the deformation forces affecting each of them. A nifty trick to prevent FPS dropping through the floor could be some simple collision detection like we have now in LFS. That would figure out which cars (or which parts of them) have collided and GPU would only deal with segments that really are in contact...
Quote from MadCatX :Treating metal sheets like a very thick cloth could work.. hell, it could actually work quite well, question is how much freedom you have if you do this with PhysX/APEX. Metal sheets cars are made of have variable strength, thickness and such and I'm not sure if simulating such materials with PhysX wouldn't be actually harder than writing the algorithms from scratch. PhysX is also a bit of a resource hog so a classic BWGP T1 crash would probably give a Quad-SLI setup run for the money...
A more sensible approach could be splitting a car to a reasonable amount of small segments and let the GPU calculate the deformation forces affecting each of them. A nifty trick to prevent FPS dropping through the floor could be some simple collision detection like we have now in LFS. That would figure out which cars (or which parts of them) have collided and GPU would only deal with segments that really are in contact...

Make demo servers not have access to it, It'd be too much coding, to much time to make all that code so some freebies can crash and stuff. (Wasn't meant to be offensive.)

That's what I was thinking, Make each car have a "health" Value. For instance

FZR at 15 MPH (18 KPH) Hits lets say, a stationary XFR, In the rear, Instead if causing a huge deformation (Not that it would anywho) It would reduce the back bumper's health by around 10~ Maybe the base value would be 50, Since most bumpers on race cars that are built for racing are mostly sheets of plastic or carbon fiber, So repeated bumps would cause the material to bend and curve weirdly before tearing up, maybe splitting into more pieces. I'd draw a small picture to show you what I meant, Matter of fact, It might describe what I am talking about more, be right back.

I can't believe I haven't been told to get in the kitchen or I was stupid yet, I'm impressed.
Quote from Squelch :The other problem being that of licensing the SDK for developers. It's expensive, and also means that a whole section of the potential audience will be excluded from these enhancements.

Erm.

The NVIDIA binary PhysX SDK is 100% free for both commercial and non-commercial use.
The SDK contains headers, libs, dlls, samples, and documentation

Quoted right from http://developer.nvidia.com/physx-downloads
Why use an API that only users of Nvidia cards will benefit from?
Quote from E.Reiljans :Erm.

The NVIDIA binary PhysX SDK is 100% free for both commercial and non-commercial use.
The SDK contains headers, libs, dlls, samples, and documentation

Quoted right from http://developer.nvidia.com/physx-downloads

I stand corrected, and should have said restrictive instead.

It would be impossible to release an open sourced game/simulator that uses PhysX for example.

I've had a little play with Rigs of Rods and it is pretty impressive. The Outerra engine looks quite nice too.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG