The online racing simulator
The truth about LFS
(47 posts, started )
Quote from Cr!t!calDrift :Hey guys. I finally started this game up and went online after what could have been years. I've found that there is barely a screen-full of servers now, and a large percent of them are actually demo servers. My game says "Live for Speed 0.5Z28", is this the latest version? I feel like it's a ghost town online, and I'm curious to know what happened to the place..

When you go to the List of Hosts, under the server list there will be 4 options. All, Race, Real and Hard. Make sure you click All to list every server available.
Quote from Cr!t!calDrift :My game says...

That is the current official patch. However, currently there is a round of test patches being tested - so you won't be seeing those servers. They might be proving to be popular at the given time as in these patches you are able to race around the whole config (and not restricted to a single route).

Try out the Z30-34 test patches here: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=74012

You've revisited at a good time.
Quote from intrplay :When you go to the List of Hosts, under the server list there will be 4 options. All, Race, Real and Hard. Make sure you click All to list every server available.

Thanks, dude

Quote from Silverracer :That is the current official patch. However, currently there is a round of test patches being tested - so you won't be seeing those servers. They might be proving to be popular at the given time as in these patches you are able to race around the whole config (and not restricted to a single route).

Try out the Z30-34 test patches here: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=74012

You've revisited at a good time.

Oh, wow, I'll be sure to check everything out, thanks!
Quote from Cr!t!calDrift :Hey guys. I finally started this game up and went online after what could have been years. I've found that there is barely a screen-full of servers now, and a large percent of them are actually demo servers. My game says "Live for Speed 0.5Z28", is this the latest version? I feel like it's a ghost town online, and I'm curious to know what happened to the place..

I memba you
I wrote this on another post a few months ago and thought it would be relevant here...

I'm not alone in thinking that what LFS is, as it is right now, is excellent.

Almost every day LFS excites and entertains me as I drive and race and love it. But of course I'm here because more, and whatever's next would be way cool too.

Anyway... On the 29th of September 2010, I spontaneously wanted to express my appreciation for LFS to the creators. Just 3 guys! I still think it's an amazing, superb quality output... Without thinking much, I wrote some things that were from the heart and found an email address on the website to fire them to.

Within 12 hours I had a response. It was from Victor. I hope they don't mind me posting this...

Thanks ******.
I have forwarded your mail to my collegues who I'm sure will appreciate it as well.

I hope the (eventually) upcoming updates to LFS will fall in good taste as well and allow you to continue enjoying LFS

Kind regards,

Victor van Vlaardingen

I wasn't really expecting a response - that I got one promptly is a good sign.

Obviously I'm here reading things (pointlessly) in anticipation of what comes next. But I also clocked up a few hundred kms tonight with friends, having some excellent simulated driving enjoyment. What's there, unchanged for a while notwithstanding, is hugely enjoyable and satisfying.

However, to either confirm or deny my dedication to LFS, I have tried some of the other main racing sims. In 2009, just after discovering and getting into LFS, I tried rFactor for contrast. For me, the decision of where to do simulate driving was very quickly obvious.

In the last month or so I also tried iRacing and netkarpro. I enjoyed and saw quality and potential in iRacing, and it felt good - physics and force feedback etc, but I wasn't fullfilled with the cars available. Having to pay for everything and a monthly fee isn't satisfying. It didn't look particularly special either.

LFS is incredible value. As a note on that - I can't imagine Scavier are making billions in profit from it all... I certainly don't feel they owe me anything more than what I already got for my S2 money. But they certainly will get my money for whatever comes next. Thus far I've purchased 4 LFS licences - It's my favourite gift to give to someone who will get sucked into it :-) and it's great to have them online. and to beat them... until they improve :-)

netkarpro: I didn't like they physics feel, but that was mostly due to the fact I don't favour open wheeler cars. Again, the current choice of vehicles leaves me most unfullfilled. It was pretty good and showed potential, but felt very much like it's still in its infancy.

The LFS suite of cars might be mostly fictional, but they cover the important classes and bases. After all, it's only a simulation. The fact it's an FR car with 4 cylinder turbo and behaves as such is more important than it being a recreation of a specific car...

The tracks are stunning in feel and layout. The variety and scope they provide is thorough. The graphics, though perhaps somewhat dated, look great. The environments are really cool and the changes from setting different light conditions give good contrast and variety in appearance and atmosphere. Most importantly, the graphics are very functional. e.g Gran Turismo 5 has no smoke and tyre marks in your mirrors, when you're lucky enough to have a car with a cockpit view.

I've always liked the Gran Turismo series, but in the long wait for the latest, I (thankfully) seeked an alternative and found LFS. I bought GT5 on the release date (and took the afternoon off work), was burdened with a 130mb 'patch' the moment I put the disc in (which provided no real good stuff), played it for a week pretty solid (and was hit with several more large mandatory update patches), but was disappointed and frustrated most of the way along... and i'm back on LFS, quite heavily. PS3 hasn't gone on for a few weeks now.

Flowing on from that... The playstation GT5 crashed/locked up on me several times in that brief stint of playing. LFS is extremely stable, solid and reliable. and so fast! how much time in that week of GT5 was I starring at a loading screen???

To sum up: What's there is great. When something further comes our way, I'm confident it will be of an outstanding quality and will serve to enhance things further. In the meanwhile - let's race!

:-)
Yep it was great while it lasted. And actually I played LFS for more hours than most of the other video games I ever played put together between 2002-2007.

I check in every six months or so to see if anything's happened and it never has. But no doubt one day it will, but I doubt I'll be here to see it. Good luck Scavier, and well done, it was the best.
@edgeC0M
yep, it will be interesting to see what they are up to eventually. Expectations are high since we already have an outstanding sim at our hands. It is now starting to get really, really interesting - release of new tyre physics approaching. LFS has heart and soul thanks to Scavier and not to forget all the great online racers, new and old, fast and slow.
Its been a while since I've been on this forum or played the game :/ Might give it a run later.
lfs > all
It's amazing seeing some people from 2003 and 2009.. I bet they will kick most supreme amounts of ass on any track..

I feel like i should feel bad because i missed alot.
I too thought LFS was dead... all the evidence was there: no real updates in nearly TWO YEARS, a website that has gone stale, no news for MONTHS. In the meantime, I was left very frustrated by a game that I enjoyed playing, but needed refreshing. I was sick of the poor car handling, annoying glitches and bugs, lack of flexibility... I simply stopped playing. Then I discovered the test patches. I now run Z34, and check that thread religiously every day. The test patches improve the game A HELL OF A LOT.

I'm still disappointed by the lack of news on the web site, and the fact that things like the test patch should be on the ****ing front page, a lot of people come to the site, see the last posted news was ages ago, and then go somewhere else. After a while, they stop coming altogether. But whatever, the developers ARE here, they ARE working, and while its been far too long, and they haven't gone about keeping people up-to-date in the best way, the fact is that at least it is still alive, and I look forward to the day when S3 finally arrives.
Quote from TehPaws3D :

Dont worry Paws, you young'uns are the future of LFS & there are many good times ahead.
The past has been & gone you should not dwell on it (to much).
Ahh the old days of the past
LFS has come a long way since then, but don't feel bad about it

When the next official patch arrives I feel sure it will bring another surge of online activity as every major update has over the years

SD.
Quote from SparkyDave :Ahh the old days of the past
LFS has come a long way since then, but don't feel bad about it

When the next official patch arrives I feel sure it will bring another surge of online activity as every major update has over the years

SD.

I hope you're right, I really do.

I hope the devs have made the right decision developing this game as they are.

I hope their enthusiasm (and bank account) doesn't fizzle out.

I hope this game is still being developed within a few years.
Quote from TehPaws3D :It's amazing seeing some people from 2003 and 2009.. I bet they will kick most supreme amounts of ass on any track..

I got started with LFS because I had a Caterham at the time, and wanted to try out the LX6. This was version S1, and the physics wasn't so great back then. The biggest improvement in physics occurred with S2, patch T, back in April, 2006. Since then, the changes have been small steps. I never considered LFS's physics to be the best, as there were some mods for rFactor which I felt were better. Others considered NR2003 to have bettter physics. It's more a case of player preference instead of which game is more realistic.

Another bit of history I recall is that I was considered a pessimist when I posted at RSC (the old one) back in 2006 that I though S3 wouldn't get released until 2009 because of the small development team.

For me and many of the older players, LFS is a 5 to 7 year old game, that a few of us still play sometimes, but it has the feel of a trip down memory lane, especially with the lack of updates since October 2008 (the original Scirocco announcement).

If and when something significant happens to LFS, I and many other of the older players will check out to see what's changed. In the meantime, I pay occasional visits to the LFS forums.

Been a long time that I've been playing LFS, it's amazing it's almost been 10 years! Like alot of the OG's, I myself fell off the checking the forum every day or firing up LFS.exe once a week. It turned into maybe once a month, to every few months.

After 2008 life dragged me away from it all and the old DFP collected dust, CTRA is looooooong gone, and the official forum is huge. Not to mention some VOB mods have come along from out of nowhere... wth, is this the twighlight zone?

Nobody really knows me on the forum, but, I've been here a long time. I'll be here until the very end too. Speaking as one man out of the whole community, even if I'm not playing, I'm still supporting. Heck, the reason I even logged on was yesterday I was telling a friend about how absolutely amazing LFS's physics are.

Good to stop in and see the place alive.

Keep the times low and the engine singing in the sweet spot.

-Ben
Quote from CodieMorgan :^--- All 10 commandments in one line....

"One shall not play another game but LFS for more then an hour
One shall not dedicate a computer to anything except LFS
One shall not have a non-LFS related background
Every man shall pray to Scavier twice daily, minimum"
ect.

Oh lol

The truth about LFS
(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG