The online racing simulator
Quote from micha1980de :talking about realism, i miss the shift-possibility after the LAST gear already in use...
it was possible BEFORE the digital speedo changed it's font style to "digits".

now you can't lay in the "next" gear after the last... the shifting process just stops after the last gear.

you get me?

Hmm... no... ?

Anyway when I can work on an incompatible version, I am interested in improving the sequential shifters and H shifters. I've written something about it on another thread.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=159720#post159720
I severely enjoy the correct speedo readout. It really helps with immersion!

Was mentioned before, but it would be good to have a limit to how rapidly the speedo reading can change, esp in analog mode - which I use now exclusively since it read properly. Something like 200 degress of rotation per second for the analog needle perhaps. This probably applies to the Tach needle as well although it's not as obvious, but IRL it would have the same limitations as the speedo...

Not sure what's in store for the cockpits, but having the gauge "generator" use more of the complete circular area of the face would help readability of the numbers, particularly in the fast cars.
Quote from Scawen :Have you clicked the Calibration Lock option (at bottom of controller setup screen when you are in axes mode). Move your axes through their full range then click Calibration Lock.

I tried that several times, but the next start up the calibration lock is still turned on, while the axis are reset again.
I don't think real or "old" speedo reading should be an option. Just like biggie said, old speedo gives a slight advantage if you depend on it (on rallyx especially). It would be unfair if someone chooses to know the real speed while others don't, wouldn't it?

LFS never had any "realism options" which is fantastic, and this one would be just that. This is the way cars work and has to be the same for everyone.
Could an incompatible version include basic physical engine damage? Just an area in the place of the engine that, if the surface of the car bents into it, triggers the death of the engine. You might split it into two parts. Slight physical damage destroys the cooling systemn and will kill the engine within 3 minutes, bigger damage will instantly end the race. That would solve a huge "LFS is unrealistic"-problem.

And btw I'm glad we have a realistic speedo now. And it should stay that way. For everyone.

Vain
A small suggestion (don't know if it was suggested before...).

A server option (changeable from in-game): disable players' "reset car" button.

This would help a lot (imo) in league races.
Quote from GP4Flo :Yes, we do have our own personal preferences. But what about users who have just bought the game want to hop in and drive? They will be disappointed if they cannot use the shifter or view buttons because they don't know yet how to configure them.

So what about posting the settings you are using? Maybe we can come to a reasonable default set.

Everyone goes to control settings first I thing. They will be more disappointed if they change zoom by first button touch, coz 90% noobs dont know what fov is and what default value was.

My setting is too complicated for newbies, it isnt good idea to make default DFP setting from mine
Guys, please don't use this thread for unrelated or repeated requests that will require a non-compatible version and have already been discussed at length in the suggestions forum and so on. It's a hard enough job for me to look through this thread just trying to make notes of the actual relevant requests.

I am not asking for requests at all, I'm really just putting up a test patch so you can tell me if it has any problems. I have a whole sheet of paper of things to do for U12 compatible patch and I'm really not asking for more things to confuse me.
<<< shuts up then
All good so far on the patch for me. The frame rate is the same, but then my PC is very GPU-bottlenecked so I wouldn't expect something else.

I do have a little idea for a future patch: Enabling a rename the paint-skin schemes? Since we can rename the setups now... I'm missing a 'rename' button on the left side of the Garage screen.

Thanks for your work, Scawen! You kick unprecedented amounts of ass.
Quote :
LFS never had any "realism options" which is fantastic, and this one would be just that. This is the way cars work and has to be the same for everyone.

Well actually it has. Quite lots of them actually. Virtual mirrors, virtual speedometer, virtual start lights, reset button, other driving views besides cockpit, having roof up or down doesn't affect LX cars (and now after the latest physics update it doesn't have any effect on uf1000 either), ability to hide driver hands and steering wheel, control methods other than steering wheel (keyboard, mouse, joystick, gamepad) etc etc. The complete list would be quite long. And that's the way it should be too. Afterall LFS is just a computer game. Overkill in the terms of realism would make playing the game more like work than fun.

Anyway I just wanted to ask if it was possible to have an option and I don't want to sound like that this speedo option is just as important than keyboard and mouse control support or ability to reset car. I thought that more options would equal as more happy players. I can live with the new speedo just fine and in the end it's the devs who decide what options to include. Finding every little non-realistic aspect of the game and removing them drive most of the people off in my opinion.

This speedometer question is just a very small minor thing. May the devs decide either way, LFS will be THE car simulator for me and probably to many other people as well.
just a quick question that has probably been mentioned already....

Is the front wing of the BF1 going to be updated so it looks like the current one?
incase this hasn't been stated, you cant see how fast your going in reverse
I would like to see an option to change the way you input messages in LFS, sometimes I want to write while racing in a straight line and the text window is a little bit annoying, maybe there could be a option to deactivate the window and input text only, something like Quake 3, or maybe an option to move the window.

Quote from Kostek :A small suggestion (don't know if it was suggested before...).

A server option (changeable from in-game): disable players' "reset car" button.

This would help a lot (imo) in league races.

This is a good idea =)
Maybe some people did not see this:
Quote from Scawen :I am not asking for requests at all

Come on people...this thread is getting very annoying with all the requests. I don't see how Scawen hasn't completely flipped out already. Give the guy a break!!
Quote from NetDemon01 :Maybe some people did not see this:

Come on people...this thread is getting very annoying with all the requests. I don't see how Scawen hasn't completely flipped out already. Give the guy a break!!

Ups, you're right, my fault, sorry didn't read that
While we are at views, why doesn't chase/follow/"the arcade" view have virtual mirror, possibility to look around and can't be set as default view? I drive in that view mostly as I find sensation it gives most realistic (no (rude) comments on that please).

Mirror & possibility to look around in that view would be very useful for replays also, in case some purists think everybody should be forced to drive in views they like...
Quote from NetDemon01 :Come on people...this thread is getting very annoying with all the requests. I don't see how Scawen hasn't completely flipped out already. Give the guy a break!!

it'd be nice to adhere to that, but well placed requests in these threads seem to be doing far better than requests in seperate threads
Quote from XCNuse :incase this hasn't been stated, you cant see how fast your going in reverse

It has been said a few times, and I've said before:

So what?

EDIT: Going outside right now to settle this once and for all.

EDIT2: ..............Ok nevermind. It works in reverse. Useless though.
is not useless lol, the gear for the speedometer gauge is connected to driveshaft, so of course it works
Well, new magnetic style "electronic pulse" counting types work....

There did used to be speedometers actually driven by a cable, and they would actually try and move the needle backwards, which just pushed it into the needle stop....

I guess none of the cars in LFS are "old" enough for that though...
Quote from Scawen :Guys, please don't use this thread for unrelated or repeated requests that will require a non-compatible version and have already been discussed at length in the suggestions forum and so on. It's a hard enough job for me to look through this thread just trying to make notes of the actual relevant requests.

I am not asking for requests at all, I'm really just putting up a test patch so you can tell me if it has any problems. I have a whole sheet of paper of things to do for U12 compatible patch and I'm really not asking for more things to confuse me.

XCNuse : I wish you would read the thread before posting. It is starting to become extremely irritating when nearly every page of the thread has yet another conversation about the reverse direction.
Quote from Blowtus :it'd be nice to adhere to that, but well placed requests in these threads seem to be doing far better than requests in seperate threads

Blowtus, don't push me. I've worked my butt off these last 10 days and I am requesting for the requests to stop, and for people to read the thread before posting, so as not to irritate me with repeated requests. I only need to be told something once. Is that so unreasonable?
Quote from Marty502 :I do have a little idea for a future patch: Enabling a rename the paint-skin schemes? Since we can rename the setups now... I'm missing a 'rename' button on the left side of the Garage screen.

Thank you Marty.

Here is one example of a request which is on-topic, compatible and has not already been said before on this thread.

Anyway I think I have a better idea for this, because the "new colours" button, skin not being visible for selection, etc, is confusing for beginners and also annoying for experienced people (too many clicks needed to see a new skin).

How about if instead of a list of "colour files" there would simply be a list of relevant skins in that left column. When selecting a skin XRT_ABC for example, LFS would try to load a colour file XRT_ABC.col. If not found, it would simply create a default one, for you to change the wheel colours or whatever. The colour files would be automatically created. The good thing is that any skin added to the skins folder is immediately selectable. You don't really lose anything, apart from the ability to have multiple colour schemes for one skin, but I don't think that's really needed.
thanks for all the updates scawen and now go take a break u workaholic
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG