The online racing simulator
Heat.
(74 posts, started )
Heat.
Is it just me, are sims really that real. But yes it's that time of the year for the heat to be annoying, but i get this even during the winter. Does anyone else feel extremely hot while racing on their sim of their choice? It's already hot as it is in my room and outside, but while racing i feel like i'm baking at 90 degrees and it gets to the point where i have to go cool off or shed clothing.
Sadly, I've worn thumb grooves into my wheel from a mixture of sweat and death grip.

Don't really get the feeling in LFS unless I'm in the dead center of a really big grid. In iRacing, I get it at the start of every race.
Quote from Sueycide_FD : or shed clothing.

Ever done a LAN event before? Want to?

Anyways...

Where I live, I feel like I am in flames when trying to race. In the winter I race/sleep/etc with the window open at all times. However in the summer it is just ridiculous. Yesterday it was 102 degrees, which is just freakin stupid. I have "tweaked" my chair though. I have built in a portable fan into it. At the simple flip of a switch I have nice cold air blowing on my back. That now has me at 5 fans in my room (including normal AC), just to do (max) 2 hours of straight racing. Anymore than that and I have to take a break. Eventhough I don't wear much when racing (winter/summer, whenever), I still have to cool off sometimes.

If I was the typical fat American, this could probably be a decent way of losing weight.
I'm hot.
nah, exited to the point were i feel like i'll loose my heart pounding out my mouth.
nervous, about the next mistake/corner. (sometimes i remind me to breathe :P )
jibberish while taking a break out on the balcony.

but not hot, no.
i've tinkered with the idea of putting a fan in front of my chair, i figured the airflow would improve the virtual realism factor.
Phew thought i had some sort of weird disorder and was the only one experiencing it.

Quote from PMD9409 :Ever done a LAN event before? Want to?

Only if i'm allowed to borrow a fan or 2
#9 - hp999
It only happens to me during summer...

And I have worn thumb grooves into my wheel aswell
I don't want to be that guy but hey, you are American afterall internaljoke

Hydrate > Dehydrate > Repeat
I've had dehydration 3 times and had to go to the hospital, I know all about that.
im generally grand.... always workin in hot environments so my house no matter how warm always feels cold
Quote from Crashgate3 :Predictable comment is predictable

Someone had to do it.

Who knows, maybe I was serious. :hide:
Quote from PMD9409 :Yesterday it was 102 degrees...

Is it really that hot down there again? Last year in the beginning of June, the Fam and I were in Disneyworld. The coolest day was 103. It was insane. I stopped for gas (driving from Pittsburgh PA) in Columbia, SC and nearly choked when I got out of the car. Last time I had filled up in West Virginia I think it was low 70's. I got out in Columbia and the heat hit me like a brick wall. It was 101. It was freakin only noon.

We left in Pennsylvania at 3 am to Savannah, Georgia. It was in the 50's when we left, hehehe.

I vowed never to visit Florida again except in the dead of winter, LOL.
Quote from mrodgers :Is it really that hot down there again? Last year in the beginning of June, the Fam and I were in Disneyworld. The coolest day was 103. It was insane. I stopped for gas (driving from Pittsburgh PA) in Columbia, SC and nearly choked when I got out of the car. Last time I had filled up in West Virginia I think it was low 70's. I got out in Columbia and the heat hit me like a brick wall. It was 101. It was freakin only noon.

We left in Pennsylvania at 3 am to Savannah, Georgia. It was in the 50's when we left, hehehe.

Yeah, I'd stay away from here until about November or beginning of December. No matter how long I've lived here, I always cannot stand the heat. I love the cold weather however.
Quote from mrodgers :

do, all the waterparks are empty! :P
Quote from -NightFly- :How -25F sounds?

Only been in -11F, wasn't too bad. Here it only gets to about 20F each winter. That's barely enough for me to wear a hoody and shorts. I don't even own a pair of pants for winter.

Quote from anbiddulph :do, all the waterparks are empty! :P

You'll see me there. Winter time is the best time to go, no lines! :banana:
Quote from PMD9409 :Only been in -11F, wasn't too bad. Here it only gets to about 20F each winter. That's barely enough for me to wear a hoody and shorts. I don't even own a pair of pants for winter.

You'll see me there. Winter time is the best time to go, no lines! :banana:

Ah, +20F. That's swimming pool weather

Lowest I can recall here in Pennsylvania is -23F back in 1992 I think it was.
You crazy!

70 and up for the pool, which is 9-10 months of the year here. I would need a good amount of money or a great female incentive in order to jump in at 20F.

On a trip to Montana back in 2003 however, I jumped into a hot tub that was 104F when it was -6 outside. Let me just tell you, it was a fantastic feeling. However jumping out and running into the cabin with ice cold wooden floors was not.
Down here in JA is broiling of recent too, and flippin humid. Even when not racing I begin to steam up under my headset.

In summer '08 I went to Baltimore and even though being accustomed to the heat in JA, I could not stand the heat there. The air was so STILL. I had to sprint from the van to inside Walmart.

JA still hot though

EDIT: +20F for a pool? NOWAI! I'd have to wear one of those Astronaut suits. Thats why the beaches are so awesome here, nice 'n' warm, ohhhh.
Quote from jrd.racer :
In summer '08 I went to Baltimore and even though being accustomed to the heat in JA, I could not stand the heat there. The air was so STILL. I had to sprint from the van to inside Walmart.

Sheesh just imagine a ALMS event then X_X. Had my dad take me when i was little to the Cadillac GP in D.C. and he was moaning about the heat since warm-up. Didn't even get to see the Touring car challenge afterwards because he wanted to go home. Did get held up though by the TCC cars because from our stands on T1 the cars enter the rolling through a walkway. Standing for 8ish minutes in the heat around a hundred people waiting for 50 odd touring cars to roll by is no joke. Going alone to the Baltimore GP, plan on going all days hopefully
Quote from Sueycide_FD :Standing for 8ish minutes in the heat around a hundred people....

When we went to Disneyworld in Florida, the recommendation was to get to the parks before they opened and have free reign of the park before the crowds get there. First day that is what we did.

F' that! We were at the mercy of the Disney buses and ended up standing shoulder to shoulder amongst hundreds of people for 45 minutes. At 8:30 am in the morning it was already reaching about mid 90's. Everyone looked like they just stepped out of the shower with their clothes on soaking wet sweating.

Told my wife from then on, we will try to catch the bus 15 minutes before park opens and end up there either 5 or 10 minutes after the park opens. Still missed the huge crowd that comes rolling in at 10:30 and still walked right in to a near empty amusement park.
That's when the heat really sets in here. That muggy yet burning hot feeling goes on from about 10am to 6pm. Then after that is just a muggy, miserable feeling. It's a lose lose basically.

Heat.
(74 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG