The online racing simulator
What kind of diesels do you like?
(63 posts, started )
I wouldn't drive one but these are most badass
At Crashgate, WTH is that!? Looks like a VW TDi block supersized..
Quote from BlueFlame :At Crashgate, WTH is that!? Looks like a VW TDi block supersized..

It's the 18,000 litre, turbocharged, inline-10 from a cargo ship

I love how the concept scales up - despite how monstrous it is, it still looks recognisably like an engine. Apart from the walkways so it can be serviced

More pics here: http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=11609 Apparently they also do a 14-cylinder version, which would be 25,000 litre.
Quote from BlueFlame :At Crashgate, WTH is that!? Looks like a VW TDi block supersized..

guess its a engine for a cargo freighter. Still quite small, I count 6 cylinders, big oil tankers run like 12 to 14 cylinders, inline

guess the turbo alone is bigger than my car
Quote from ACCAkut :guess its a engine for a cargo freighter. Still quite small, I count 6 cylinders, big oil tankers run like 12 to 14 cylinders, inline

Yeah, I tell a lie, it does look smaller than the ones on the site I linked to. So it's 'only' 10,000 litre....
Quote from Jakg :Very few people "like" diesels... they are a necessary evil.

Tank crew like diesels, a big problem for tanks in WW2 was they used petrol, and were a lot more flammable.

Quote from ACCAkut :guess its a engine for a cargo freighter. Still quite small, I count 6 cylinders, big oil tankers run like 12 to 14 cylinders, inline

They usually have more than one main engine, plus other auxiliary engines for power generation.
Quote :if you like diesel locomotives then there's only one

Balls. It's this one (from 40secs):
High Speed Train
what i find rather wierd/amusing that diesel locos dont actually drive with the engine....the engine is just there to produce energy to power the electric motors
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :what i find rather wierd/amusing that diesel locos dont actually drive with the engine....the engine is just there to produce energy to power the electric motors

Some cases, not all. It's misconception, not all diesel loco's are hybrid.
Diesels start to get acceptable above 12 litres displacement. Then they start to sound nice.
MB Racetruck

Edit: I should have tried to stick these horns into their throats, but there where so many... filled up with too much beer that I later decided to never visit such a race again (the Super Race Trucks where discontinued anyway). But how stupid can you be to visit such a event and whenever something with a beautiful noise will drive by you press that f*cking button on the horn?
The 6 Cylinder Diesels found on the current 3 series amazingly sound alright from the cabin. They sound strangely petrol like inside except at idle. Still sounds like a tractor outside though.
I'm not really into diesels at all, but if I never own a diesel I actually like it has to make lots of power and even more black smoke. And be installed in something ugly with 4-wheels.

If it's green I ain't gonna like it.
Peugeot diesels are horrible from a sound POV, they sound horrendous, like tanks. Even the 106 diesel sounds like a big truck from a yards away.
Vin Diesel?
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :what i find rather wierd/amusing that diesel locos dont actually drive with the engine....the engine is just there to produce energy to power the electric motors

I suppose the reason for this is that a clutch/coupling and gearbox assembly would be hugely impractical when really high torque but slow speed are required, plus electric engines have the upside that their power output is nearly perfectly scalable. Just a guess though, hope what I wrote makes sense.
Exactly. Slowly accelerating 2000 tons of train from a standing start would **** a mechanical clutch, wheras electric motors can be clutchless, and can still give torque at zero rpm.
I really like Diesel. The engineering and often the size is is pretty awesome.

Although people have said "Oh yeah Most diesels don't have turbos and unless they're turbo'd they're pointless"...well, they mostly ARE turboed.

I'm a fan of my little Diesel as it's very pokey and 60mpg, even if it's about 3-4p a litre more than Petrol, means that I still save a bucketload. A petrol would need to do about 52-53mpg to make sense and nothing fun does that sort of mileage.

Been watching train and boat diesel engined videos on Youtube for the past hour...mmmm.
From time to time - this.
Attached images
bavarian-diesel.jpg
cummins. indestructible.
Quote from BlueFlame :I beg to differ.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xf5-gF_MTE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... tCpaQ&feature=related

And this one, you Americans go on about how strong Cummins block itself is, wonder what you think when you see this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... fguF0&feature=related

everything fails, but how rare it is, is the difference.

i'm obviously biased, but i think those are all pretty extreme cases.

for the first video, the tractor was old, and likely left outside alot of its life (basically a made up explanation admittedly.)

second video...alot of modified parts, maybe missing a key part to allow it to safely rev up to those RPM's for more then a second or two. (is it a bad time to add dodge's new cummin's engines get worse and worse with the new emissions standards, which compromise every other part?)

and that last video, thats just crazy...

What kind of diesels do you like?
(63 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG