The online racing simulator
Humour me for a second
(59 posts, started )

Poll : Pick a random number between 1 and 20

Quote from amp88 :We're not going to agree because you're too ignorant to acknowledge you're wrong. Incidentally, I have a degree in computer science, so you don't need to talk to me like I'm in tech support

P.s if you read my comment about using an external source (I mentioned mouse movement or sound output) however that's still not actually random because all you need to do is have the same movement or "external source situation"..

but as I said don't want to get drawn into an argument.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :P.s if you read my comment about using an external source (I mentioned mouse movement or sound output) however that's still not actually random because all you need to do is have the same movement or "external source situation"..

You made an unqualified, declarative statement before that. Only when I'd mentioned true random number generation did you go off and Google it. Then you came back and spewed something which had the effect of reversing your original assertion.

You don't want to get drawn into an argument because you're wrong. Be a big man and admit it. I do when I'm wrong...
Quote from amp88 :How are you generating your 'random' numbers on computer?

Just the bog-standard c++ rand(), seeded with the system time in milliseconds.

I was actually testing this: http://scienceblogs.com/cognit ... he_most_random_number.php. You all failed.

I think the problem started when Hyperactive said
Quote from Hyperactive :Let's all vote 13

causing over 9000 people to pick that one. We did seem to pick up 7 though, supposedly being the second most common number people pick
Quote from amp88 :You made an unqualified, declarative statement before that. Only when I'd mentioned true random number generation did you go off and Google it. Then you came back and spewed something which had the effect of reversing your original assertion.

Not really.

At my previous job a guy called Kieth (who was the technical manager, and believe he is probably more knowledgable than you no offense) and I were chatting about increasing security on something or other and I suggested using a random number generator on some sort of ID so it couldn't be cloned. He said that there could never be a truly random number generator, at the time I didn't believe him, but I researched it a little and came to the conclusion he's right.

My original statement was that there wasn't a computer based 100% random number generator - and there isn't - external sources can be recreated and if conditions are the same the same random number could be generated.

I don't want to get drawn into an argument because that's the adult thing to do. I think what I said is right, where as you think what I said is wrong.

So I'm saying let's agree to disagree and go back about our business, in my case playing Battlefield (Free M95 haha)
Ahaha S14. it is fact that all knowledge based on "a guy named Kieth" is sound and fair evidence. I like the way you suggest that he is ultimately more knowledgeable on a subject against someone whom you don't even know. This ultimately means that you sir need to
Quote from Crashgate3 :Just the bog-standard c++ rand(), seeded with the system time in milliseconds.

I was actually testing this: http://scienceblogs.com/cognit ... he_most_random_number.php. You all failed.

I think the problem started when Hyperactive said causing over 9000 people to pick that one. We did seem to pick up 7 though, supposedly being the second most common number people pick

So does that mean that those of us that picked the number 13 are boring/average/normal?
I don't think it means anything because even human brain doesn't pick a number randomly. Just the mere fact the you know you're supposed to pick a random number affects your decision.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :At my previous job a guy called Kieth (who was the technical manager, and believe he is probably more knowledgable than you no offense) and I were chatting about increasing security on something or other and I suggested using a random number generator on some sort of ID so it couldn't be cloned. He said that there could never be a truly random number generator, at the time I didn't believe him, but I researched it a little and came to the conclusion he's right.

What research did you do? Can you cite any sources?
Quote from Crashgate3 :Just the bog-standard c++ rand(), seeded with the system time in milliseconds.

I think the problem started when Hyperactive said causing over 9000 people to pick that one. We did seem to pick up 7 though, supposedly being the second most common number people pick

I closed my eyes and blindly clicked on 7.
Quote from amp88 :What research did you do? Can you cite any sources?

I do not quite understand why you are breaking S14 ball's over this. He has given far better opportunities for that over the past few years.

As far as I can see, you both agree on the fact that the random thingy is a source outside the computer.
Quote from amp88 :What research did you do? Can you cite any sources?

What Joris said. I'm not going to validate myself to a Scotsman, let alone you.

So this thread is over now as apparantly the most random number is 17 but it's actually over 9000 so..
no surprise how popular 7 is, read somewhere that it's by far the most popular choice between 0 and 9, there was some scientific reason behind it but i can't remember it as it was about 25 years ago
Quote from Joris :I do not quite understand why you are breaking S14 ball's over this. He has given far better opportunities for that over the past few years.

He ventured a piece of wrong information in the thread with no provocation that was along the lines of "here's a piece of information to validate how smart I am". Once I pointed out what he said was incorrect he changed his mind and then he changed it back again.

See:

Quote from S14 DRIFT :PS random numbers on a computer can never actually be random. Human-random though is random comparitevly.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :Well if you think about it, there's nothing to prove - there can never be a completely true random number generator based on an algorithm, because that algorithm has a base code underneath it.

It can be random enough for a charity raffle, perhaps, but for a TRULY random number, it's simply not possible.

Both of the above leave no possibility for truly random number generation.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :I fear we're not going to agree but it's simply not possible for a "true random number generator" to be written from code, apart from PERHAPS using something such as mouse input or sound input to help generate the code.

This leaves the possibility for truly random number generation (I suspect after he went off to Google and read a couple of links).

Quote from S14 DRIFT :He said that there could never be a truly random number generator, at the time I didn't believe him, but I researched it a little and came to the conclusion he's right.

This goes back to leaving no possibility for truly random number generation.

At no point has he cited any sources that prove random number generation using computers (along with input devices) is impossible, despite finally settling on that point of view.

The reason I picked up on it is because it's something he has done several times before (i.e. providing inaccurate or misleading information in an authoritative manner). People who don't know any better would have read his post and taken it as true.

Quote from Joris :As far as I can see, you both agree on the fact that the random thingy is a source outside the computer.

Well, it seems like he's settled on saying that's not true, but it's difficult to say for certain. Perhaps the only truly random thing in this thread has been his view on random number generation

Quote from S14 DRIFT :What Joris said. I'm not going to validate myself to a Scotsman, let alone you.

I'm not sure why you've used Scottish/Scotsman etc in such a pejorative manner several times in this thread.
I don't have to cite sources. This is not a university paper or a document I am selling. It's a forum. I have better things to do, like play BF P4F with bmxtwins
Quote from tinvek :no surprise how popular 7 is, read somewhere that it's by far the most popular choice between 0 and 9, there was some scientific reason behind it but i can't remember it as it was about 25 years ago

Can't cite the source ( ) as I was reading it at work and don't have the URL anymore, but I read something saying that because the 'average' person considers themselves to not be 'average', they will deliberately pick a number that they think all the other 'average' people won't have picked. So you end up with everyone picking the same numbers in a misguided attempt to be different, not realising that everyone else has tried to be different in exactly the same way.

Which is kind of a metaphor for the whole of modern life
To be fair, a computer-generated random number seeded from a naturally-occurring source (as in your example; background radiation) isn't really a computer-generated random number. The random element occurred outside the computer, all the computer did was modify the result into something more useful.
aw come on amp ive already pointed out on irc that youre arguing over tiny mistakes in semantics

and for the record no you cannot generate random numbers you can only observe them
and even then theyre only random to the best of our current understanding of how the world works
Quote from Shotglass :aw come on amp ive already pointed out on irc that youre arguing over tiny mistakes in semantics

Arguing over semantics that have a large impact.
Quote from Crashgate3 :Can't cite the source ( ) as I was reading it at work and don't have the URL anymore, but I read something saying that because the 'average' person considers themselves to not be 'average', they will deliberately pick a number that they think all the other 'average' people won't have picked. So you end up with everyone picking the same numbers in a misguided attempt to be different, not realising that everyone else has tried to be different in exactly the same way.

Which is kind of a metaphor for the whole of modern life

So to be different you have to be average?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Ugh yeah I should go to bed...got 2 days as a labourer up coming..yay!
Quote from tinvek :no surprise how popular 7 is, read somewhere that it's by far the most popular choice between 0 and 9, there was some scientific reason behind it but i can't remember it as it was about 25 years ago

Between 0 and 9, seven is

An odd number (more interesting in terms of randomness)
A prime number (as above)
Not at the beginning or end (not random enough)
Not 1 (1 is too boring to be sufficiently random)
Not 5 (5 is too central in a list of numbers to be random)

This leaves only 3 and 7

And everyone knows that 7 is clearly a better random number

Or I could be talking crap
Quote from S14 DRIFT :

Would you agree that there's a difference between something being possible and impossible?

Every day true random number generation techniques are used for such mundane things as encrypting sensitive information and gambling. You (and Keith) maintain this is impossible. The semantics matter.
Of course there's a difference between possible (flying to New Zealand, perhaps) and impossible (being able to lick Rihanna dry after a shower).

And as I've said any external source is not being generated as such (generation being "rand#" with a code or something). Saying that "external radiaton n2^-6³/10 + 2" is not random because it can be recreated. Ughtternkjgrjkgrjkgr seriously I'm going to bed now.

Humour me for a second
(59 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG