The online racing simulator
Humour me for a second
(59 posts, started )

Poll : Pick a random number between 1 and 20

Humour me for a second
Pick a random number between 1 and 20. I want to test something I read on another website. I've posted it here as I'm hoping to get as many responses as I can.

By way of a bit more explanation, it's testing human random number generators vs computer ones.

EDIT: Poll added
<My number>

Cookie?

Edit - Oh, there is a poll now. Voted.
Didn't realize you just put this up a minute ago. I picked my number and was shocked that the longest bar was the same number! Then I noticed, I'm the only one who picked a number thus far, LOL.
-
(BigPeBe) DELETED by BigPeBe : gaaababbaababbaaaaaaarrrggghhh
voted
Let's all vote 13
I allways liked 8, and voted it too
#8 - DeKo
Something as simple as saying that you're testing something will spoil the results, it will make people think about it and perhaps pick a different number than what they would have picked with no thought.

I always pick the date I was born, or some other number related to me. it's never really random.
Quote from Crashgate3 :By way of a bit more explanation, it's testing human random number generators vs computer ones.

I belive humans are unconsciously taking middle numbers, because of their bad vision of randomness? The poll seems to be showing that already.

I was also attracted by the middle ones at first, but eventually decided to be annoying and picked n°20.

Quote from DeKo :Something as simple as saying that you're testing something will spoil the results, it will make people think about it and perhaps pick a different number than what they would have picked with no thought.

True.
This would be much more entertaining if you could see who voted what...
...and be useful as random number generator if results where hidden
7, been always my favourite number (house number, busline number that took me there...etc).
Quote from Crashgate3 :By way of a bit more explanation, it's testing human random number generators vs computer ones.

How are you generating your 'random' numbers on computer?
Voted.

PS random numbers on a computer can never actually be random. Human-random though is random comparitevly.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :PS random numbers on a computer can never actually be random.

Care to prove that assertion?
Well if you think about it, there's nothing to prove - there can never be a completely true random number generator based on an algorithm, because that algorithm has a base code underneath it.

It can be random enough for a charity raffle, perhaps, but for a TRULY random number, it's simply not possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudorandom_number_generator

Where as a person could pick any number at truly random level, because it's impossible to know what number they'd pick, it may be a personal number or something off the top of their head. There's no code for humans choosing a random number, for example.

Computers generate the random numbers sort of like those "pick a number, add 5, take 4, is the answer 12" thing, but in reverse.
Never heard of true random number generators then, eh?
I fear we're not going to agree but it's simply not possible for a "true random number generator" to be written from code, apart from PERHAPS using something such as mouse input or sound input to help generate the code.

But even then it's still working off a formula. I don't particularly want to have an argument with a Scottish person (they'll beat me with haggis) but I'll leave just my 2c that it's not possible.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I fear we're not going to agree but it's simply not possible for a "true random number generator" to be written from code, apart from PERHAPS using something such as mouse input or sound input to help generate the code.

But even then it's still working off a formula. I don't particularly want to have an argument with a Scottish person (they'll beat me with haggis) but I'll leave just my 2c that it's not possible.

We're not going to agree because you're too ignorant to acknowledge you're wrong. Incidentally, I have a degree in computer science, so you don't need to talk to me like I'm in tech support

True random number generation (e.g. accomplished using a computer in conjunction with an external source such as background radiation) has been around for a long time. I agree with you that just running an algorithm on a computer (e.g. any of the hundreds available freely on the Internet or built into most (if not all) programming languages) doesn't give you truly random numbers. That's why I put "random" in apostrophes in my first reply in this thread. However, when combined with an external source computers can generate truly random numbers.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Well if you think about it, there's nothing to prove - there can never be a completely true random number generator based on an algorithm, because that algorithm has a base code underneath it.

It can be random enough for a charity raffle, perhaps, but for a TRULY random number, it's simply not possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudorandom_number_generator

Where as a person could pick any number at truly random level, because it's impossible to know what number they'd pick, it may be a personal number or something off the top of their head. There's no code for humans choosing a random number, for example.

Computers generate the random numbers sort of like those "pick a number, add 5, take 4, is the answer 12" thing, but in reverse.

I got nice one for you:
get a number from 0 to 1 as x, calculate 2*x-1, then take result as x and calculate again... and again... and couple of times... and you get random number generator
Quote from AndRand :I got nice one for you:
get a number from 0 to 1 as x, calculate 2*x-1, then take result as x and calculate again... and again... and couple of times... and you get random number generator

You don't.
Quote from AndRand :I got nice one for you:

That is exactly what is not a random number generator
Quote from amp88 :However, when combined with an external source computers can generate truly random numbers.

Wouldn't the external source be the random generator in that case?
Quote from Joris :Wouldn't the external source be the random generator in that case?

The external source is technically an input/capture device. S14's statement was just that "random numbers on a computer can never actually be random." which is incorrect.

Humour me for a second
(59 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG