The online racing simulator
Ferrari Academy 2010
(94 posts, started )
Laser Scanned tracks are like the Plecebo effect its just a big bunch of mumbo jumbo to make you think its the best.
Essentially that laser scanning stuff makes idiot proof for developers and stuff so they can do it with half the work.
Just my oppinion though im sure im wrong.
#52 - JJ72
Quote from AstroBoy :Laser Scanned tracks are like the Plecebo effect its just a big bunch of mumbo jumbo to make you think its the best.
Essentially that laser scanning stuff makes idiot proof for developers and stuff so they can do it with half the work.
Just my oppinion though im sure im wrong.

making laser scanned tracks isn't in anyway easier.

When you scratch build a track, you start with low details and gradually build it up, it is clear and straightfoward, more time you put it, more detail you get.

But with laser scanning you are faced with these huge pile of data, with noise and inaccuracies everywhere, and from this mess you have to simplify the model and decide what to keep and what to throw away.

if you tried 3D modelling, working with high detail from the get go can be mind boggling.
Quote from AstroBoy :Laser Scanned tracks are like the Plecebo effect...

Not a big problem. Feeling is what matters, even if it's psychological

So you can't race? just hotlapping? You just saved me 15€
Quote from The Moose :Judging from the huge thread on the iRacing forums where the response has been overwhelmingly positive I'd say you're just up to your usual pointless Kunos bashing.

i could show you an irc log of peri (someone who afaik has no past history of bashing kunos) going on and on for about an hour how rubbish the basics (ie interface graphics engine etc) are
and he didnt even have to pay for it himself
Quote from Shotglass :i could show you an irc log of peri (someone who afaik has no past history of bashing kunos) going on and on for about an hour how rubbish the basics (ie interface graphics engine etc) are
and he didnt even have to pay for it himself

Graphics engine is rubbish? He's having a laugh!

Don't bother with the log. I'm fed up with hearing from whiners.
lol
Quote from The Moose :Have you actually driven on an iRacing track?

Before I tried it I thought laser scanned tracks were just a gimmick. Now I find it impossible to drive any other sims, including my favourite, netKar Pro, simply because of what a massive difference laser scanned tracks make to the experience.

This. Even if you've never even heard of the track you're driving on (so we can disregard any allusion to accuracy) the tiny bumps and undulations in the surface that laser-scanning produces (I'm not talking millimetre sized bumps in the asphalt here, I'm talking about tiny humps maybe a few mm high and anything from a metre or so up to tens of metres across) make it so much more natural. Sure, if you had the time you could create bumps in a fictional track too, but it would never quite be right and you'd never have the time to make it by hand anyway.
Quote from The Moose :Graphics engine is rubbish? He's having a laugh!

oh i rather doubt that he was laughing at his rather quite fast system struggling to get anything more than 20 frames
The getting-in-sideways-is-faster-than-properly-turning-in problem also exists in nKpro it seems.

Otherwise its pretty decent imo.
wanna get it but the site is down for me? anybody else have this prob?
MarcG(spdo) is leading !

I managed to download it, have tested it with keyboard in my laptop... and uninstalled it after 5 minutes. I'll give it a go with the G25. If I see I can win any kind of price I might consider buying it
Quote from Crashgate3 :This. Even if you've never even heard of the track you're driving on (so we can disregard any allusion to accuracy) the tiny bumps and undulations in the surface that laser-scanning produces (I'm not talking millimetre sized bumps in the asphalt here, I'm talking about tiny humps maybe a few mm high and anything from a metre or so up to tens of metres across) make it so much more natural. Sure, if you had the time you could create bumps in a fictional track too, but it would never quite be right and you'd never have the time to make it by hand anyway.

This sounds kinda weird, since I'm having a blast with FTarget @ Spa 2001 with nKPro, feeling even the asphalt on a straight on my G25 through FFB and I'm pretty sure Spa 2001 is not laser scanned.

Back on topic, I found the F10 brilliant in FVA, but the choice of Fiorano as their frst track kills all the joy
Btw, nKPro non laser-scanned tracks feel better than the FVA laser-scanned Fiorano
Awesome.
For the last 3-4 days the FVA site shows up like this

I've tried on two different computers, two different Internet providers, with Firefox, IE8 and Chrome. I know other guys here in Greece have the same problem. This makes the offer unusable.

Is there an suggestion/solution?
No idea how it works; but maybe you can try via a proxy? If you plan on buying the Fiorano package drop me a PM here. I've got a code for 30% discount (probably everyone who signed up in that might have gotten one).
Quote from Silverracer :No idea how it works; but maybe you can try via a proxy? If you plan on buying the Fiorano package drop me a PM here. I've got a code for 30% discount (probably everyone who signed up in that might have gotten one).

Thanks! I have the discount code too, but I cannot use it! :doh:

Btw the discount code is public, given on their facebook account: 70JBT-05LDH-D3I8S-R38ZU (30% off, until October 3rd)
Quote :Mugello
Reproducing the famous circuit in Tuscany with its unique driving sensations was a complex operation, due to the track's numerous ups and downs and corners. Reproducing the three-dimensional Ferrari Virtual Academy surrounding, the development team used Laserscan technology, thus creating a three-dimensional "cast" of the circuit with all its characteristics, including irregularities influencing a Formula 1 single-seater's set up and handling when driven at the limit.

This three-dimensional "cast", created using a cloud of 3D points, leads to creating a virtual model of the circuit, perfectly recalculating its characteristics and irregularities, from the kerbs to the slopes and the purely aesthetic elements, fundamental for driving on the track: the points of reference used by the drivers to determine the point of braking. Distance signposts, special kerbs or distinctive walls or protection barriers have been reproduced combining laserscan data with detailed, high-definition photographs along the circuit, accurately recreating characteristics and details on the computer, even the apparently most insignificant ones.

Mugello pack + F10 aerodynamic update (available now), 9.90 Euro
Nurburgring available from 11th November

http://www.ferrarivirtualacademy.com/game/en/download.jsp
The best possible new years gift for Team Inferno

Alongside of Jon Tanko (1), Martin Krönke (3) is one of the 3 Contestants who are eligible of going to MARANELLO (all expenses payed) to take part in a very exclusive Driver Training Program which only usually is accesable to F1 Drivers.

Understatement to say that this is an absolutely amazing achievement.

Congratulations Martin for this absolutely outstanding job.

http://ferrarivirtualacademy.c ... sp?track=TOTAL&lng=EN
Good job, congrats guys!

Ferrari Academy 2010
(94 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG