The online racing simulator
Draw your best livery!
(22 posts, started )
Draw your best livery!
We're trying to come up with a livery for our new Formula Student car, and we're having a bit of a colouring in competition here at uni.

For a bit of fun I wondered what's the best anyone here can do, I know how much some of you love skinning cars in LFS.

So head over to the link in my sig and grab one of the renders of our new car from the gallery, fire up Photoshop and post the results! Our colours are black/red/white, so please stick to that. I've attached a few of our quick ideas so far.
Attached images
cottle2.jpg
neil2.jpg
roj2.jpg
tom2.jpg
that thing looks so close to an MRT in construction, it's scary.
Quote from bunder9999 :that thing looks so close to an MRT in construction, it's scary.

Well, that's logical, because these are student formulas, as well as MRT. These formulas are all quite similar.
MRT is an FSAE car.. Same thing
Pretty sure the MRT5 in LFS is a spaceframe car, our car is an aluminium honeycomb monocoque at the front with a spaceframe rear end. Hopefully it'll drive a bit nicer than the MRT too!
Monocoque front with spaceframe rear seems to be the standard across Formula Students today. When MRT was made, spaceframe all the way

Materials aren't as tightly regulated though, some cars last year had a carbon fibre front.

Anyway I'm no artist, probably won't get anything good out of trying XD.
Quote from RasmusL :Monocoque front with spaceframe rear seems to be the standard across Formula Students today. When MRT was made, spaceframe all the way

Materials aren't as tightly regulated though, some cars last year had a carbon fibre front.

Anyway I'm no artist, probably won't get anything good out of trying XD.

Quite a lot of cars have a carbon front, and the big teams go for a full carbon monocoque, but they have considerably more money/support than us. Graz estimate the worth of their car as a few hundred thousand Euros, and we spend <£30k. Considering we beat them in 2009 (though neither of us finished last year) I don't think we're doing too bad.
Ah I'd love to be on an FSAE team
Quote from MAGGOT :Ah I'd love to be on an FSAE team

Are you at uni? See if they've got a team if you are.

Otherwise, why not put your 'master skinnerz' skills to good use, and see if you can get a livery on an FSAE car?
I wanna be on an FS team too, but my uni doesn't freaking have one
I'm gonna have to MAKE them start one
i missed my choice due to being way too busy at the time
but 2 of my coursemates (im studying product design) are actually designing the bodywork and livery for our local FS team : )
wouldve been an awesome opportunity
i did do some sketches during a sketching workshop though

http://i.imgur.com/MicnS.jpg
Quote from spookthehamster :Are you at uni? See if they've got a team if you are.

Otherwise, why not put your 'master skinnerz' skills to good use, and see if you can get a livery on an FSAE car?

I'm in my final year (working on thesis at the moment... only a week and a bit left! :S), and my school doesn't have a team, unfortunately. Although, there are schools in the 'area' with teams; Durham College (or whatever it's been renamed to now.. something about technology something or other?) and University of Toronto both have teams... UofT apparently has a pretty good track record, too (no pun intended).

If I have time after I'm finished thesis I'll give it a go

Quote from Fuse5 :i missed my choice due to being way too busy at the time
but 2 of my coursemates (im studying product design) are actually designing the bodywork and livery for our local FS team : )
wouldve been an awesome opportunity
i did do some sketches during a sketching workshop though

http://i.imgur.com/MicnS.jpg

What year are you in ID? Any ideas for your thesis yet? (Assuming you're in a degree program?)
2nd year of 3year BA
i graduate with a portfolio though, no thesis D:
3 years and you get a degree? Bastard!

What degree do you get from your program? Is it actually just a BA (Bachelor of Arts)? I'm still miffed I get a BAT (Bachelor of Applied Technology and Industrial Design, with an automotive specialty) instead of a BID (Bachelor of Industrial Design).

I gotta say, I'm pretty stoked about thesis. Or I was, anyways, now I'm nervous. A week and a half left and I'm nowhere near done...
Quote from MAGGOT :3 years and you get a degree? Bastard!

What degree do you get from your program? Is it actually just a BA (Bachelor of Arts)? I'm still miffed I get a BAT (Bachelor of Applied Technology and Industrial Design, with an automotive specialty) instead of a BID (Bachelor of Industrial Design).

I gotta say, I'm pretty stoked about thesis. Or I was, anyways, now I'm nervous. A week and a half left and I'm nowhere near done...

3 years is pretty standard in a lot of countries, UK included. The studying is a lot more condensed. For example, I had 36 hours a week of lectures at the beginning of my first year.
yeah i get a BA
but its hardly specialized
all the magic happens when you go MA
which i dont intend to do over here

and since its so vague and general its a BA. we don anything from lamps to chairs to bigger corporate projects. would love to specialize tbh :|
I thought 3 years was the norm. Practically all bachelor's degrees in EU have a 3 year duration.

I could imagine FSAE being extremely good to have on your resume. I might even choose to take my bachelor on the only uni with an FSAE team in Denmark.. That'll get me a BSc instead of the worse degree I was planning for anyway :/
Quote from spookthehamster :3 years is pretty standard in a lot of countries, UK included. The studying is a lot more condensed. For example, I had 36 hours a week of lectures at the beginning of my first year.

Ah, I see. Over here most 3 year programs are just diploma programs.

Quote from Fuse5 :yeah i get a BA
but its hardly specialized
all the magic happens when you go MA
which i dont intend to do over here

and since its so vague and general its a BA. we don anything from lamps to chairs to bigger corporate projects. would love to specialize tbh :|

Surprising that it's still a BA, I'd think that they should be offering a BID. The Industrial Design field itself is very broad and vague (many grads don't do actual design work, they wind up doing logistics and HR type stuff, utilizing their design thinking in a completely different way to greatly benefit companies, even!). The ID program here (Humber College, in Toronto) is an Applied Technology program, which means we get other aspects in addition to the design training (business and marketing basics, sociology, psychology, etc). The core of the program is product design, but for the latter 2 years you can opt to take the automotive stream, as I have done, which just changes your studio class to an automotive studio class.
i'd love to specialize
but it just isn't viable to offer different courses or specialize in the last year
since we have ca 6-8 people per year
:P
Ouch. My school accepts 60... Many of which probably shouldn't get accepted, but that's another story... haha

Draw your best livery!
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG