The online racing simulator
Firefox 4 is out!
(161 posts, started )
Quote from majod :also i have a question on ff4 -> when bookmark tab is disabled by default, where should people access their bookmarks instantly? i know you can enable it (as i did), but thats all?

There's this "bookmark drop-down" button on the right of locationbar/searchbar:

Btw, proof of Chrome using more memory than Firefox: http://localhostr.com/files/jVI43Mo/Untitled.png
Obviously it's very different for some people, don't ask me why

I had some kind of issue with Firefox since around 3.0. I mean, it would hang and crash on me randomly and apparently leak memory too. I could let it stand around with a few tabs, and come back to it using 2 GB of memory, without any extensions.

Chrome for me just reacts instantly, never hangs or crashes, starts much faster and now even has extensions
Quote from majod :also i have a question on ff4 -> when bookmark tab is disabled by default, where should people access their bookmarks instantly? i know you can enable it (as i did), but thats all?

Disable the Bookmark bar, then right click the Navigation bar somewhere and choose customise. You can then add a Bookmark button to the Nav bar.
Quote from RasmusL :I had some kind of issue with Firefox since around 3.0. I mean, it would hang and crash on me randomly and apparently leak memory too. I could let it stand around with a few tabs, and come back to it using 2 GB of memory, without any extensions.

Do you realise we are on version 4 now?
#55 - DeKo
Quote from Bose321 :Do you realise we are on version 4 now?

4 still leaks memory for fun.
does this mean that half of my extensions aren't going to work anymore, like when it went 2 -> 3?
Quote from bunder9999 :does this mean that half of my extensions aren't going to work anymore, like when it went 2 -> 3?

Extension developers have had plenty of time to make theirs work in FF4.

Use this to force any older ones to work at your own risk.

For the record, all the ones I use have been updated with the exception of Smart Bookmarks Bar, which works fine when enabled as above.
Quote from DeKo :4 still leaks memory for fun.

How come I don't see the memory usage increase while I never close/restart my firefox?
Quote from Bose321 :How come I don't see the memory usage increase while I never close/restart my firefox?

Same, mine runs for over 30 hours now.
Quote from RasmusL :Obviously it's very different for some people, don't ask me why

Do you need more answers? I'm not saying Firefox is always shit. I've just never experienced it not being so since 3.0 came.
Quote from RasmusL :Do you need more answers?

It's cause you upgraded from old version without creating new profile.
I'm going to try that. I really haven't been messing around with it a lot, you shouldn't be expected to.
Quote from RasmusL :I'm going to try that. I really haven't been messing around with it a lot, you shouldn't be expected to.

Try installing WinXP then updating it to Vista then updating it to 7, you'll see what I mean
My FF used to eat about 800 MB (up to 1100 if it didn't put me on my nerves) after 24/48 hours, without caring if it only had 2 tabs opened at that moment, making it really slow (what a surprise xD). FF 4, after more than 24 is still at 410 MB. Not bad considering it had an intensive usage sesion today (now I have only 12 tabs opened).

RAM usage/leak was my only complaint and it seems gone
What are you all doing with your Firefoxes?

Mine is using 300MB with 7 open tabs.
430,000KB with 4 tabs [inc Facebook] and the radio open

I've got 4GB RAM so it doesn't really affect me.
Quote from hazaky :
Edit: I disagree with u Majod, bigtime. While firefox (Version 4.0) used around 400mb+ with 9 tabs

How on earth are you lads getting these numbers with firefox indeed?
anybody else having problems with the aero border of a ff4 window changing all the time while scrolling? its ****ign distracting
Quote from Shotglass :anybody else having problems with the aero border of a ff4 window changing all the time while scrolling? its ****ign distracting

I don't really get what you mean, mind posting screenshot / video?
see how the whiteish part of the border changes length
it seem to be related to whether or not the small tooltip that shows the location a link takes yo to i popped up or not but the amount by which it changes seems random changes between tabs and its completely distracting when scrolling down pages
Attached images
Untitled.png
Maybe try to switch of the Hardware acceleration für displaying.

Assuming you are using the german Firefox, you can find this under Extras - Einstellungen - Erweitert - Allgemein - Hardware-Beschleuning verwenden, wenn verfügbar
Quote from Shotglass :see how the whiteish part of the border changes length
it seem to be related to whether or not the small tooltip that shows the location a link takes yo to i popped up or not but the amount by which it changes seems random changes between tabs and its completely distracting when scrolling down pages

Seems to be whenever a pop up box is displayed by hovering over a link or bookmark in the bookmarks bar, but not hovering over any nav buttons.
someone upgraded firefox on the pc i use at work... god, it's hideous. it feels faster though, i wonder if they did any work on the rendering engine...
Quote from bunder9999 :someone upgraded firefox on the pc i use at work... god, it's hideous. it feels faster though, i wonder if they did any work on the rendering engine...

New html parser, new tokenizer, hardware acceleration plus new javascript engine.

Sure it feels faster

And now mine only uses 400 MB of RAM, it doesn't keep growing like FF3 did.
ff4 is taking around stable 250mb from my pc atm.

Firefox 4 is out!
(161 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG