The online racing simulator
help just got new card and lfs well crashed
right anyone whos got a NvidaGeforce 6600 gt dose lfs run on it because i ran lfs it went to frame rate 88.2 and bang lfs crashed with green dots all of it plase someone help!!!!!
A lot of people here have that card, with no problems. Have you tried the latest drivers from nvidia's website?
Is it over heating?
Quote from the_angry_angel :A lot of people here have that card, with no problems. Have you tried the latest drivers from nvidia's website?
Is it over heating?

how can i tell if its over heating and since this is new i think i will have the lastest drivers
#4 - joen
Quote from faster111 :how can i tell if its over heating and since this is new i think i will have the lastest drivers

The drivers on the cd that comes with the card are always out of date. But I assume they should work correctly. Did you have an nVidia card before too? Green dots can be a sign of overheating, happened to me back in the day when I had a Voodoo 2

Anyway, I have that card too and it should work with LFS. Any card has to work with LFS.

Are you having problems with other games?
Quote from joen :The drivers on the cd that comes with the card are always out of date. But I assume they should work correctly. Did you have an nVidia card before too? Green dots can be a sign of overheating, happened to me back in the day when I had a Voodoo 2

Anyway, I have that card too and it should work with LFS. Any card has to work with LFS.

ok how do i stop it from over heating
#6 - garph
Quote from faster111 :ok how do i stop it from over heating

Wooo there...

Try downloading the lastest drivers from the Nvidia site. Make sure you unistall the old ones first before installing the new ones.

If that doesn't work then start again from scratch i.e. Take the card out unistall the drivers and start again, making sure everything is plugged in right.
#7 - joen

Put some ice on it? Let's not jump to conclusions, we don't know if it's overheating, it just may be the problem. First get the latest drivers for your card

edit: what motherboard do you have? Nvidia as well? Maybe it's wise to update the drivers for that too
Green dots..... I'd RMA it if it keeps happening. sounds like the card is faulty and believe me it is quite likely to be the case, probably overheating. (i have had 3 6600gts and all have been faulty in some way.) i now have a 6800gs and its fine.

what is the cards idle temp? have you tried the card with any other games yet?
Quote from Platinum pete :Green dots..... I'd RMA it if it keeps happening. sounds like the card is faulty and believe me it is quite likely to be the case, probably overheating. (i have had 3 6600gts and all have been faulty in some way.) i now have a 6800gs and its fine.

what is the cards idle temp? have you tried the card with any other games yet?

yes i have tried pulzze prites but its no way near as good as lfs.
Quote from joen :Put some ice on it? Let's not jump to conclusions, we don't know if it's overheating, it just may be the problem. First get the latest drivers for your card

edit: what motherboard do you have? Nvidia as well? Maybe it's wise to update the drivers for that too

well how can i check if i got the lastest drivers?
#11 - joen
Quote from faster111 :well how can i check if i got the lastest drivers?

go to start->run and type in: dxdiag
look on the display tab where it says version in the drivers section

then check the version on the nvidia website ( http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp )

I would advice you to completely uninstall the old drivers, reboot and install the new version
Quote from joen :go to start->run and type in: dxdiag
look on the display tab where it says version in the drivers section

then check the version on the nvidia website ( http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp )

I would advice you to completely uninstall the old drivers, reboot and install the new version

is there any other ways without uninstalling or anything?
Quote from faster111 :is there any other ways without uninstalling or anything?

You can always pray...

Control panel -> add or remove programs -> uninstall Nvidia drivers (choose only display drivers) -> reboot.

Then install new display drivers that you downloaded earlier from Nvidia website and reboot. Job done. Mission time from uninstall to back to desktop with new drivers: 1 minute.
Quote from spankmeyer :You can always pray...

Control panel -> add or remove programs -> uninstall Nvidia drivers (choose only display drivers) -> reboot.

Then install new display drivers that you downloaded earlier from Nvidia website and reboot. Job done. Mission time from uninstall to back to desktop with new drivers: 1 minute.

narr i wait till my mate comes back and installs the drivers and i will ask him
#15 - Jakg
so you mean you havent actually installed the drivers yet?
Quote from Jakg :so you mean you havent actually installed the drivers yet?

That would indeed help yes.....
#17 - Smax

Make sure the base unit isn't sitting with its exhaust ports close to a wall.
If the base unit is at the same height as the monitor make sure there's 30cm or so between the two.
If the base unit is sitting on carpet then get a sheet of wood for it to sit on instead.
Definately don't put the base unit within a couple of metres of a radiator/heater, don't keep the computer in a room with big temperature swings, e.g a conservatory.

Basically use your common sense

Presuming that you've bought a pre built retail system then it the cooling will be adequate although probably only just.

If you or a friend has built it up from serperate components then try running it with the side panel off or fitting an extra case fan.

Test the machine under load by leaving it running for several hours doing something like playing a dvd film, If it resets/shuts down then you might need to look at the way it's being cooled.

However BEFORE you presume that your new toy is getting too hot, make sure that you've got it running decent drivers for all of the components not just the video card.
Quote from Smax :Basically use your common sense

Are you sure that's wise sir? Should we go to blue alert?
Sorry for derailing, but I don't get what all that "uninstall driver" fuzz is all about. Okay, I can understand it if you switch from ATi to nVidia (or the other way round), but when just up- or downgrading the ForceWare drivers I NEVER uninstall the previous ones. I once used Driver Cleaner Pro on upgrade, but besides being an insane hassle it did absolutely nothing to the performance. There are quite a few people who are insanely paranoid about this, but personally I never had a bad experience with just installing - the ForceWare drivers are pretty much as easy as it can get regarding the installation process anyway (they even uninstall the currently installed drivers by themselves if you downgrade to an older version).

@faster111:
Jup, the advice in this thread is pretty good. Make sure you actually have drivers for your new card installed and not simply the old ones you had before.

@tristan:
Downgrading Forcewares does need uninstallation though I've never managed to downgrade without having to first remove the existing drivers anyhow.

Install the latest WHQL drivers for the card and motherboard and try again. If it still happens it could be overheating, but I'd probably RMA it anyway (just because I can).
Yes, but it does that automatically.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Downgrading Forcewares does need uninstallation though I've never managed to downgrade without having to first remove the existing drivers anyhow.

Install the latest WHQL drivers for the card and motherboard and try again. If it still happens it could be overheating, but I'd probably RMA it anyway (just because I can).

Errrr, you know who you're aiming that advice at right?
Quote from AndroidXP :Yes, but it does that automatically.

But it still does it Whereas upgrading it doesn't remove them first (nevermind, let's agree to disagree, or that I won. Either will do me ).

@Garph: Downloading drivers from the nVidia site you get the latest WHQL drivers (I think), which means they're M$ approved (I think), unless specifically beta drivers are selected. WHile the betas may be newer they may not be quite as stable.
well i installed the lastest drivers and still the same am doom am not going be ready for sunday
Quote from NotAnIllusion :But it still does it Whereas upgrading it doesn't remove them first (nevermind, let's agree to disagree, or that I won. Either will do me ).

Well, I never said it doesn't need uninstalling (I even mentioned the downgrade uninstall in my first post), the point was, I never manually uninstalled them.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG