The online racing simulator
Add a speed type option
(29 posts, started )
Add a speed type option
I've tested the lfs S1H7 and noticed that the speedometer is showing the car movement speed instead of the wheels speed so based on that I suggest to add an option in the lfs menu to chose what speed to show(real or wheels)
Quote from GabyThanatoS :I've tested the lfs S1H7 and noticed that the speedometer is showing the car movement speed instead of the wheels speed so based on that I suggest to add an option in the lfs menu to chose what speed to show(real or wheels)

Unrealistic imo
#3 - J@tko
Don't normal cars work on wheel speed?

EDIT: Wait not wheel speed, I mean transmission.
What car in real life would ever show wheel speeds, (presuming you mean the RPM of the wheels?) it would be a unit of measurement with no fixed scale anyway, bigger wheels do less revolutions over any given distance and smaller wheels do more, this would be pointless, mph or km/h, ie car movement speed, just like the real world is the way it should be.
Quote from danthebangerboy :What car in real life would ever show wheel speeds, it would be a unit of measurement with no fixed scale anyway

pretty much all of them do? it's either that or the transmission thingy jack mentioned... or something like that

how else would you explain why my speedo shows 10km/h more than the actual speed i'm driving...
#6 - Bean0
A GPS shows actual vehicle speed though.
Quote from nikopdr :pretty much all of them do? it's either that or the transmission thingy jack mentioned... or something like that

how else would you explain why my speedo shows 10km/h more than the actual speed i'm driving...

Really, last time i checked, speedometers show the speed in mph or km/h that the vehicle is travelling at, not the speed at which the wheels are revolving, i understand that wheel speeds are the initial moving part, and that the speed in either mph or km/h is calculated through speedo drives and gearing etc to give you that reading from the wheels, but dials dont display the RPM of your actual wheels directly.

Edit: the 10km/h more is a safeguard AFAIK, a speedo can over read but is not allowed to under read by law, so most manufacturers will gear their speedo ratios so that they under read slightly.
Almost all "normal" cars shows the speed from the transmission but that doesn't mean that is the real speed and thats why I am suggesting this. And btw...is not unrealistic to show the real car speed because some cars are showing it using GPS.
Quote from danthebangerboy :Really, last time i checked, speedometers show the speed in mph or km/h that the vehicle is travelling at, not the speed at which the wheels are revolving, i understand that wheel speeds are the initial moving part, and that the speed in either mph or km/h is calculated through speedo drives and gearing etc to give you that reading from the wheels, but dials dont display the RPM of your actual wheels directly.

Edit: the 10km/h more is a safeguard AFAIK, a speedo can over read but is not allowed to under read by law, so most manufacturers will gear their speedo ratios so that they under read slightly.

Since most speedos are not GPS-based, how do you think the speedo gets its data?
From memory the VW beetle (original) had speedo hooked up to a front wheel. OP has a good point, any real world car uses trans pickup and therefore speed is relevant to output shaft rpm.
In real cars speed is calculated based on differential speed. It's better than measuring speed on one wheel because on turns one wheel is rotating faster than the other so it could be inaccurate. Differential always turns with the same speed because it balance power and rotating speed on axles. You can notice that on ice when wheels on drive axle slips, despite the car is not moving your speedometer shows some speed.
Quote from danthebangerboy :Really, last time i checked, speedometers show the speed in mph or km/h that the vehicle is travelling at, not the speed at which the wheels are revolving, i understand that wheel speeds are the initial moving part, and that the speed in either mph or km/h is calculated through speedo drives and gearing etc to give you that reading from the wheels, but dials dont display the RPM of your actual wheels directly.

How on earth can the speedo show the speed the vehicle is ACTUALLY travelling at?
Only GPS based speedos can do that. There is no idler wheel touching the road from the middle of the car to measure the vehicle speed and there is definately no optical measuring device watching how much tarmac travels under your car.
The speedo measures (as previously mentioned) transmission speed(prop shaft, differential) or in some cases wheel speed. (To be more precise it measures the angular velocity). As the transmission is directly connected to the wheels it is measuring wheel speed.
Why do you think the speedo must be adjusted if you put bigger wheels on your car?
Quote from gandlers :
Why do you think the speedo must be adjusted if you put bigger wheels on your car?

Gandlers, is right. Even if you will put bigger wheels the angular velocity will be the same. It will only change linear velocity, but the ratio beetwen linear velocity and wheel radius will be the same.

w - angular velocity
v - linear velocity
R - wheel radius.
It doesn't show transmition/wheel speed?
Funny. When I drive the XRR into the sand and rev it up in gear the speed goes up, but car doesn't move. So that does show wheel speed if you ask me.
Don't know what happens if all drive wheels lock up, if the speed drops to zero.
No it's not the wheel speed. It's shows the angular velocity of differential.
I have Toyota Carina and it's speed-o-meter works exactly same as LFS does now.

EDIT: I mean transmission
Quote from danthebangerboy :Really, last time i checked, speedometers show the speed in mph or km/h that the vehicle is travelling at, not the speed at which the wheels are revolving.

How exactly did you check this theory of yours?
Quote from FPVaaron :How exactly did you check this theory of yours?

No need to, because its a fact, and common sense.

Things that rotate, such as wheels, have speeds measured in RPM, so if a car were to rely on wheel speeds alone then all cars would have 2 rev counters in essence, one for engine RPM and one to show the RPM of the wheels, this is NOT how vehicles speeds are measured, this is a FACT.

What happens is that the wheel and tyre size on the vehicle are taken into account and the speedo ratios are calibrated as necessary in order to display the speed of the vehicle in MPH or KM/H, so although wheel speeds are involved, the measurement is not taken directly from the wheel speed itself, it goes through the drivetrain and is picked up from there.
Quote from FPVaaron :How exactly did you check this theory of yours?

He floored down his 1.0L car which can't burn out even on 1st gear, obviously.
Oh god OP suggested an option to choose between real time speed and measured speed from transmission (like in most cars) and for no reason whatsoever this thread turned in to a "war" of how speed is measured and showed.

Funny thing here is that most of you are telling the same thing but only think that the other guy is telling the opposite because you simply didn't read the guys post with any thought.
Quote from danthebangerboy : wheel speeds are involved, the measurement is not taken directly from the wheel speed itself, it goes through the drivetrain and is picked up from there.

So by your vey own words, how can this be a measurement of the speed the vehicle is traveling at?
Wheelspin... drifting, etc etc. the linear velocity of the tyre contact patch will be greater than the actual speed the car is traveling at, more so when drifting brecause of the slip angles.

Back to the OP message, LFS is doing it correctly, no need to have the option.
Quote from danthebangerboy :No need to, because its a fact, and common sense.

Things that rotate, such as wheels, have speeds measured in RPM, so if a car were to rely on wheel speeds alone then all cars would have 2 rev counters in essence, one for engine RPM and one to show the RPM of the wheels, this is NOT how vehicles speeds are measured, this is a FACT.

What happens is that the wheel and tyre size on the vehicle are taken into account and the speedo ratios are calibrated as necessary in order to display the speed of the vehicle in MPH or KM/H, so although wheel speeds are involved, the measurement is not taken directly from the wheel speed itself, it goes through the drivetrain and is picked up from there.

Dan; when they say wheel speed, I doubt they're talking about RPM; they're talking the speed the contact patch of the wheel is moving. It just happens to be moving in a circular pattern relative to the axle. While the wheel speed, in their context, is related to RPM they aren't talking about RPM. I Think that's where all of this debate started; an initial mis-communication.
I think you are right maggot, i misread initially and then stuck with it, i see now, its a suggestion of transmission speed vs GPS speed, i see, finally.
I don't think GPS speed would necessary, but there's still some room for improvement. In real life many fast race cars measure speed using RPM of FOUR wheels, not only driven wheels or the diff (if the car is 2WD). The speed output may be just the average of the four values, or something based on a more complex formula.
S2 already has speed at the wheels. S1 is an old version and there are not going be anymore updates to it. It was only updated so it can be played on modern computers and the changes to the master server.

Add a speed type option
(29 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG