The online racing simulator
Gears on a bicycle
(98 posts, started )

Poll : Well?

Ride away in first gear and shift up later.
Just stick to one gear.
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :when I had gears I used only ones. but there's no harm in shifting. You are 20, you ride a bike, and your parents are telling you how to ride it? Just wondering..

Don't worry, I'll ride it the way I've done for 18 years and counting. They were just giving me 'advice'.
http://video.mpora.com/watch/uGQu2nZFk/
I was here tonight watching a few friends have a go. Had a quick blast myself and boy it's fun. (I am very very crappy compared to them )

p.s. sorry to go offtopic.

Hands Caek to Erik
Quote from hrtburnout :Hi all. I was wondering how you guys use the gearing on your bicycle..

Put into 4, reach top speed, shift into 1, overrev and die.
So the gears on my bike weren't exactly changing smoothly. Then as i rode past a bicycle shop the chain on the fell off so i was like **** this and took it in to get it sorted. $30 NZD later and they replaced a cable (which was only replaced a few months ago and had seen pretty much no use since then) and 'tuned' the gears. Is a little better but still takes a couple of presses to move the chain onto the big wheel at the front. And my right grip has gone all soft and spongy like it was put under high heat. Not entirely happy.
try to make some ajustments?
theres a few ajustments on a bike that im the same way, but generally a little observation, a little thought, and a little tweak (then repeat) can get things getting better, then when done tighten that ALOT
One argument for using "all" gears, and the main reason why I do it too, is that it's a lot better for your knees and other ligaments.
Gears? Bah, humbug!

torque is everything!

greetz

der butz
Mmm, an inline 6

Actually, if you consider that each rider uses both legs, that's technically a V12
And rwd sadly only 1wd too
Quote from sil3ntwar :So the gears on my bike weren't exactly changing smoothly. Then as i rode past a bicycle shop the chain on the fell off so i was like **** this and took it in to get it sorted. $30 NZD later and they replaced a cable (which was only replaced a few months ago and had seen pretty much no use since then) and 'tuned' the gears. Is a little better but still takes a couple of presses to move the chain onto the big wheel at the front. And my right grip has gone all soft and spongy like it was put under high heat. Not entirely happy.

Try to adjust by yourself. It won't be perfect the first time you do it, but after you get some practice you'll adjust everything ideally. I never take my bicycle to a shop, i adjust/repair it only by myself. Bicycle is very simple machine, it's much easier to understand than a car. Or at least watch some youtube tutorials...
Quote from Crashgate3 :Mmm, an inline 6

Actually, if you consider that each rider uses both legs, that's technically a V12

Not quite so. It has 6 crakshafts connected with a chain, so that's 6 inline 2 engines.
Inline two engine is called a twin.

2 inline 6 engines would be better.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Inline two engine is called a twin.

2 inline 6 engines would be better.

no, THIS would be better

Hmm, me like.
Radial engines are awesome

Does anyone know if the pistons fire sequentially in a radial (I imagine they do) so at the low revs a big bike that uses, would you be able to hear the source of the sound going round and round the circle as you're sitting so close?
http://science.howstuffworks.c ... ipment/radial-engine2.htm no. If pistons fired sequentially, all cylinders would do power stroke on single revolution of crakshaft, then another revolution would be without power, only from inertia, so the engine would be easier to stall. Of course unless it's two stroke, but i hadn't seen a two stroke radial engine anywhere.

Shiiiit, i need to improve my English.
Ah right, so it does go sequentially, but it skips every other cylinder (aha! that's why radials always have an odd number of cylinders )

I suppose it would work if it was a big 20+ cylinder radial from a WW2 era bomber, although given that these could produce upwards of 3,500 HP, it would be a hell of a bike

EDIT: actually, after a little wikipedia-ing, even the 18-cylinder radials from a B-29 (about the biggest you'll get) were just two rows of 9 cylinders, which I imagine would fire on opposing sides for maximum stability.
this is reminding me of my trip to washington DC, i went in a plane museum, and it showed all different types of engines they put in planes....that was one, but i was too young to care :banghead:
-
(KiRmelius) DELETED by KiRmelius
Quote from Crashgate3 :More inappropriate-aero-engine-in-a-road-vehicle shennanigans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twWkQTjzcoY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIj2GVfua84 (skip to 2:00 to hear it start)

I still like radial engines better, they look cool and make awesome sound.

Quote from logitekg25 :this is reminding me of my trip to washington DC, i went in a plane museum, and it showed all different types of engines they put in planes....that was one, but i was too young to care :banghead:

You are cool! I want to visit a plane museum too!!

It's funny how a thread about bicycle gears got occupied by aeroplanes, cars and motorbikes, but pust you bike thread is occupied by bicycles, so nobody can be angry!

Gears on a bicycle
(98 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG