The online racing simulator
LFS and Minecraft
(31 posts, started )
#1 - Be2K
LFS and Minecraft
I found a little documentary about Notch (the dev of minecraft) and his "little" new crew.

So after i saw that, i can understand a bit more about Scawens misery and the problem of his small crew.

Maybe u read this Scawen, it would be nice to hear something from your Side of thinking and youre thougths about where LFS will be going to and the Project "Minecraft" from Notch.
http://www.kickstarter.com/pro ... craft-the-story-of-mojang

Notch is sharing his project now with some ppl and they are working together and Minecraft is the same good damn game as it was before =) So Scawen maybe some Tyre dev. help can bring us S3 a bit faster and we can see that something is happen.
Yeah, Minecraft will go to iOS now. LFS and Minecraft should be PC exclusive titles, and I don't want to see LFS go mainstream.
Minecraft is something anyone can pick up and play and have fun unlike lfs. Even if things picked up pace, sales wouldn't change most likely.
he's crossed over 10 millions GBP allready.

Rich as hell!

Seen him in my office building also. He worked earlier for jAlbulm i think.
The intelligence of notch have been to realise quickly that the game was selling well, well enough to start a small business and take the risks to hire a few people. So far the quality have stayed up and development is quite fast. It's a lot more interesting to buy a game that have updates every other week than a game that won't be updated soon. To keep me interested in a game for more than a few weeks, new content must come. That's why I didn't play lfs for the last year or so. The game is really good alright, but without new content, I have to feeling that I have already done everything there is to do.

My 2 cents. Oh, and do try minecraft, you won't be disapointed.
Quote from Psycho1024 :The intelligence of notch have been to realise quickly that the game was selling well, well enough to start a small business and take the risks to hire a few people. So far the quality have stayed up and development is quite fast. It's a lot more interesting to buy a game that have updates every other week than a game that won't be updated soon. To keep me interested in a game for more than a few weeks, new content must come. That's why I didn't play lfs for the last year or so. The game is really good alright, but without new content, I have to feeling that I have already done everything there is to do.

+1
Quote from libben :he's crossed over 10 millions GBP allready.

Rich as hell!

Seen him in my office building also. He worked earlier for jAlbulm i think.

Most of that money probably serves to pay for the expenses of the Minecraft server(s).
#8 - Be2K
Quote from Psycho1024 :The intelligence of notch have been to realise quickly that the game was selling well, well enough to start a small business and take the risks to hire a few people. So far the quality have stayed up and development is quite fast. It's a lot more interesting to buy a game that have updates every other week than a game that won't be updated soon. To keep me interested in a game for more than a few weeks, new content must come. That's why I didn't play lfs for the last year or so. The game is really good alright, but without new content, I have to feeling that I have already done everything there is to do.

Quote from DEVIL 007 : +1

+1 from me 2. I'll only still driving Races coz i need to finish my third championchip in a row then i am done with LFS. There is nothing left in LFS which keeps me here or motivating me.

Quote from degraaff :Most of that money probably serves to pay for the expenses of the Minecraft server(s).

I dont think so. Many of the Minecraft servers are hosted by Players.
Quote from Be2K :Notch is sharing his project now with some ppl and they are working together and Minecraft is the same good damn game as it was before =) So Scawen maybe some Tyre dev. help can bring us S3 a bit faster and we can see that something is happen.

I understand your point of view, but you cannot compare the complxity of a racing simulator with something so simple (and brilliant and fun, don't get me wrong) like Minecraft.
Quote from Eldanor :I understand your point of view, but you cannot compare the complxity of a racing simulator with something so simple (and brilliant and fun, don't get me wrong) like Minecraft.

I think Minecraft is more complex as you might think... Although I don't think it is more complex then LFS.
Quote from degraaff :Most of that money probably serves to pay for the expenses of the Minecraft server(s).

I didn't even realise that upkeeping a few servers cost millions ,

it's a drop in the sea actually, and besides i haven't played on any "official server" of minecraft, most of them are hosted by players.
Minecraft is a game that can be played by anybody, even on a poor spec computer or even in a browser. LFS on the other hand requires a lot of practice to be any good, ideally with dedicated hardware like a wheel and pedals.

The markets for the two games are completely different, that's why Notch can afford to ramp up his operation and Scawen - even if he wanted to - probably can't.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Minecraft is a game that can be played by anybody, even on a poor spec computer or even in a browser.

Sorry, but you're surprisingly wrong about that. (:

official minimum reqs for lfs are: 1 GHz CPU, 256 MB memory, 3D graphics card

on the other hand minecraft is a java based game and it needs (unofficially) much more.
LETS END THIS !

Someone should build blackwood in minecraft and then compare frame rates.

If you considered doing this you need to get out more.
Minecraft requires a really good system right now, it must be the least optimized game of all time. I also think it's really not a game for everybody. You must be a really creative person to like such a sandbox game, where you start with nothing, and don't know nothing until you a) try things or b) read the wiki. In that way, it's quite like lfs : the learning curve is steep at first. IMO a driving simulator could be quite popular, maybe more than minecraft (after all, who deosn't drive?) if it could be used without an expensive, always broken, space-consuming driving wheel.

Oh, and about the servers, minecraft now runs ons Amazon S3 servers, and I've heard they're pretty cheap.

Nyway, I don't want to bash LFS, it's a great game. Only wanted to straighten up some things about minecraft.
I would like someone to straighten things up for me.
How exactly minecraft differs from second life.

I mean in second life you can build things, script what you build, and you can build not just from boxes but make your own shapes in blender or maya and its free.
You can do the same in minecraft but with simple shapes and its not free, graphics are not so good as in SL still looks allright tho.
I played SL for some time and seen minecraft only on you tube and for me it look like the same idea just simpler.
Yet ppl go crazy on minecraft so I am interested is there something more than just building?
The difference is that Second Life is only for furries and paedophiles, but anyone is allowed play Minecraft.
Quote from thisnameistaken :The difference is that Second Life is only for furries and paedophiles, but anyone is allowed play Minecraft.

That is true.
#19 - Be2K
Quote from Chupacabras84 :
You can do the same in minecraft but with simple shapes and its not free, graphics are not so good as in SL still looks allright tho.

U're right but the idea from Notch is that he would like to create a "Lego"Sandbox game. LFS isnt not better, the graphics are out dated but the difference is that Notch's game should have been the look and for LFS.. Scawen didnt said that this will be the final Graphics its just out dated.

Quote from Chupacabras84 :
Yet ppl go crazy on minecraft so I am interested is there something more than just building?

Minecraft is a Sandbox game where you can build what u want, thats the main idea behind Minecraft. But first u need ressources that means u need to build Tools which u can use to find Mines. Its hard to finde Dimonds and Gold they are very rar and hard to find. The complexity of minecraft comes up with "Redstone". Its like electricy for everything. When u place it on a Block it looks like a read glowing Line and here we are. Now you can build XOR, NANDs and everything else u want to build. Its easier to view some Redstone builds in youtube if i would tell you everything about it this post will never end

In a short sentence: Minecraft is a building survivale Game

I think the scale of the content in LFS and Minecraft are too different to be comparable. In Minecraft, the developers can add new content such as new blocks, vegetation, monsters, etc, with a couple of weeks work. Adding a siingle new car or a new track to LFS I'd guess takes a couple of months work, considering the modelling, texturing, testing, tweaking and what not.

Im guessing the lack of updates is due to the development of LFS taking another path than what was planned for by the developers. If they knew the new tyre physics would take this long, they probably would focus more S2 content beeing released during this time than S3 content for the S3 release.
#21 - Be2K
Quote from Skagen :I think the scale of the content in LFS and Minecraft are too different to be comparable. In Minecraft, the developers can add new content such as new blocks, vegetation, monsters, etc, with a couple of weeks work. Adding a siingle new car or a new track to LFS I'd guess takes a couple of months work, considering the modelling, texturing, testing, tweaking and what not.

U're right. I dont want to post a moaning thread here to get this in the direction which the Progress Report Thread is going to be.

But the internet is full of Car Mods for LFS which was made be other Players. Its all up to Eric, and the plan from Scawier is to release all everything new with S3. What i am going to say is that the content couldn't be the Problem its just the meaining from Scawier to release everthing only from them and to denied all other costume Mods from the Community.
Its their dmn good right to do all on their own Way.

The sense of posting this thread here is to compare the development Progress from Minecraft with LFS. Sure both of them are to different but the way of developing can be compared.

Eric said that only he has the tools for developing new Cars, Tracks etc. and only he will develop those things on his own way. But it could be better for LFS and the Community that the devs get some help on developing new Content.

This dosen't means that the Work from Eric is bad, its very good for one Man how dev. all Content alone. The slow progress is the Problem.
When Scawen had finished all work on the new Physic new Content will be come faster then the lack of 3 years now, were Eric waits for the go for Stage 3 of LFS.
I agree with you that the community can provide alot of quality content. Seeing other games such as Little Big Planet and Minecraft, people definitly love to create content. And the quality and creativity of some of the content created by these players is really astunishing.

Im sure there are people on these forums that could provide content for LFS at the same quality that Eric does.

He did'nt hire guys from the start. He built that lego game alone. It was just a couple a months ago he hired some guys to his company called Mojang. And he allready than had passed like 3-4 millions GBP.
Comparing the Minecraft and LFS Community
Back in the days when Notch had the comments enabled in his Blog I always thought: OMFG, this is like the LFS Forums.
Whenever he released something new or talked about features he added / wanted to add, there have been 1 post of somebody who was more than happy to get something new / hear something new about development and at least 20 dickheaded moaners who have always been complaining that something´s sh*t.

It seems like this is what you get when you are an Indie Developer with an "open information policy". You want to stay connected to your community and what you get is, that you are doing all wrong, get accused for being incompetent, that the Update you worked your ass off includes only useless sh*t somebody else was not waiting for and that in reality you are the bond-slave of some dickhead because he paid you 10 bucks 3 years ago.

Sometimes I wonder why these Indie Developers still try to improve their product and release Updates (for no money in these cases). It must not because of the Community or the Customers. The only reason which seems logical to me is, that they just love their own product and do it for themselves.

Yess... my 1st rant, now make me red (or was that another Forum?)
BTW: This post has been written because of this thread and the thread with the S1H7 Version and is dedicated to all the moaners I try to read over since this wonderful product called LFS exists.
#25 - Be2K
Notch gaves some impressions about Minecraft and his feelings.
He said that he is amazed about the Time he payed attation to Minecraft.
He didnt belived that he would work so long one Minecraft. He thought the he will lose interest on develop Minecraft any sooner...

But when this will happen and Notch quit his work on it, he will allow any other people to keep on developing.

To compare this with LFS, Scavier are working on LFS since 8 years or more now and i can understand that they lose her interest in LFS.
Sure, Scawen said that he will tell us when he will quit working on LFS but what is if he does not have any pleasure anymore already now to finish the Tyre Physics quite soon..

LFS and Minecraft
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG