The online racing simulator
LFS and Minecraft
(31 posts, started )
Quote from Be2K :

To compare this with LFS, Scavier are working on LFS since 8 years or more now and i can understand that they lose her interest in LFS.
Sure, Scawen said that he will tell us when he will quit working on LFS but what is if he does not have any pleasure anymore already now to finish the Tyre Physics quite soon..

I don't believe this...

...even if it takes pretty hard and painful to do the job, I tell you that when human takes a break, it usually gets back it's interest to do the job again!

And because of lack of updates, I believe they are just going to make an ultimate patch, nothing else.

EDIT: plus, if Scawen wants to quit his job, I bet he will do that, but not until he is pretty old, OR his coding skills hits the limit, what I don't believe that easily
If my sole job for the past 8 years was to develop a game that I created, with no actual need to develop the game, sometimes I would probably go on the computer each day ready to code something and instead I'd watch youtube videos all day, or a couple films and get distracted etc...
I'm sure this has happened to Scawen...
I think the biggest difference here is that Notch is a man of his time. If you had to talk about a big developer acting like Notch, that would be Valve. They both are open to the community, meaning constant feedback in both ways (look at the last lighting engine used in Minecraft).

One the other hand you have Scawen and co. which act like Nintendo: This is our product, which is great, and the community builds a lot upon this great product, but without any aid from the developer. All the way around, in fact. You have this six years old game that still costs 30€. It's a great game, but you cannot pretend to sell an unfinished product for 30€ like it's new. Until you're Nintendo or Scawen & co.

If they were more clever, they would drop the price, embrace the community and release modding tools. Maybe not to add tracks, maybe not to add new cars. But maybe to allow people create a good AI, or built a good 1 player game where there's a barren land. Or maybe update the ugly graphics. It would be a much more interesting project then, because the only interesting thing coming from LFS in the latest years has come from the community alone.

So, the big difference is that Nothc is clever enough to realise it's not 2005 anymore and people expect something different, more open, now. Specially from indie devs.
Quote from Be2K :To compare this with LFS, Scavier are working on LFS since 8 years or more now and i can understand that they lose her interest in LFS.
Sure, Scawen said that he will tell us when he will quit working on LFS but what is if he does not have any pleasure anymore already now to finish the Tyre Physics quite soon..

BS.

Notch earns nearly $750k a month off of Minecraft, if he'd quit developing the game, he could swim in his money for the rest of his life... probably.

Not saying that Scawen/LFS' devs couldn't, but from my perspective, Minecraft earns far more than LFS per month. I'm not being overly curious about how much LFS devs earn off of LFS - it's just that I can't see them in Notch's position, as of now. This might change in the future once bigger updates are released and I'm quite sure it potentially will.

Ofcourse there's the chance of Scawen dropping this shiz and ending up working for a major game developing company. But meh as I'd say.
Minecraft is casual, easy to pick up for anyone. LFS on the other hand is a niche, it's for players that are especially interested in racing. The two target groups for the games do not compare at all, and therefor I'd believe the potential income for the two games are of two different worlds.
#31 - Be2K
Quote from Skagen :Minecraft is casual, easy to pick up for anyone. LFS on the other hand is a niche, it's for players that are especially interested in racing. The two target groups for the games do not compare at all, and therefor I'd believe the potential income for the two games are of two different worlds.

Sure, but i am not comparing the Game LFS with Minecraft.. i compare the way of communication and developing from both games..

It sounds interessting to release some mod tools for graphics ! =)
So Scawen can get his only access to his physics, tracks and Cars.

LFS and Minecraft
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG