The online racing simulator
How easy is Java?
(30 posts, started )
#1 - P1lot
How easy is Java?
How easy is Java? I'm a complete beginner at programming but realise how common Java is on modern mobile phones that all have a good resolution colour screen.

I thought an app could send insim/outgauge data via bluetooth (maybe) to a mobile phone to show basic data such as gear number etc. Easy to place near or on a wheel.

Suppose the hardest part would be transferring via bluetooth. Maybe I'm just speaking these thoughts out loud to get confirmation it's beyond me from the start
I'm not such a fan of Java, but it does have its moments.

What you're thinking about should be entirely possible Infact its quite cool.

With regards to Bluetooth, there are a number of Bluetooth libraries for Java, including one built into J2ME. As I understand it, each manufacturer also has their own API's for their phones - so although it may not move across phones well, it wouldnt be as difficult as getting the host machine to talk to the bluetooth (I'd imagine).

As I say hinted at, I try to stay away from Java; so I'm probably wrong with regards to the host system
Quote from P1lot :How easy is Java?

[EXTREME sarcasim]It's simple!![/EXTREME sarcasim]
Java is the language of evil.... it will give you nightmares... honestly!

Seriously though, it's one of the harder language because the "rules" on how it has to be written are so strict. Thats why it's more secure than others.
Stick to Flash, Flash Lite is becoming much more powerful and Flash players are starting to appear on more phone. In a couple of years i reckon it will take over from JAVA games and apps. Your content can be so much more fluid and animated in flash.
Check out the Adobe website for more info, click on the mobile section.
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashlite/
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
yeah, well.... flash can nicer pictures!
I.HateThe.Way.Java_forces.You.To.Use.OO.HorribleStuff()
#6 - P1lot
Yep, just as I thought... I'm looking at what's involved like an Aborigine might look at a jet engine
-
#7 - Vain
I'm a C++ programmer and thus, by heritage, hate java.
But it does have places where it's useful. The code is simple, you can do about everything, it's portable, there are great dev-enviroments (Borland Together, f.e.), etc. When I talk about java I say "Java gets the job done" - no more and no less. It's not a beautiful solution, it's not a fast solution, but it's a solution.
Learning java isn't evil in itself. But learning java and not prefering C++ in about every situation qualifies you for every death-sentance you can recieve.

Vain
#8 - Stuff
Hrm.. Call me crazy but I like Java.

Its no more "strict" than any other comparable language, like C++, python, PHP or whatnot. Most of these languages use very similar syntax anyway..

Java is very powerful, protects the user, takes your mind off memory, 100% object oriented, multi-threaded, extremely portable (write it once, works everywhere there is a JRE; Winblows, Linux, Mac, as an applet in a browser!, etc).

On top of all that, the included standard library is huge and enables you to a lot more things that would take forever in some other languages. Stuff like.. databases, networking, GUIs, XML, cryptography, etc.

No wonder its used for mobile phones, OpenOffice.org, Oracle!, Azureus and legos.
Quote from thisnameistaken :
There's always Python, which IIRC runs on Nokia series 60 phones and probably others too by now. It's a bit of a kooky language but quick to work with and not nearly as strict as Java.

I would use Python for this if it runs on your phone. You should be able to send the gear # through UDP. I think...
Quote from Vain :But learning java and not prefering C++ in about every situation qualifies you for every death-sentance you can recieve.

Wow, can't get any more clear in throwing out a challenge for the never-ending and never to be resolved "language wars". I'll just say that disagree with you almost fundamentally.

EDIT: I should have some on-topic content...

Java is easy once you get your mind around OO principles. It's got a bit more base knowledge that you need to get under your belt before jumping in than your average scripting or procedural language. If you don't like the OO paradigm, you'll hate java and you'll find it annoying to program.
It all depends on what you're trying to achieve. I've used Java in the past and I'm a C# junkie now...both have pros and cons, though I'd stick to C no doubt, be it C++ or C#
Quote from BurnOut69 :I'd stick to C no doubt, be it C++ or C#

Which are all fairly, radically different from one another, imho..
Quote from the_angry_angel :Which are all fairly, radically different from one another, imho..

Yes they are, not only in your opinion, but both are better than Java, imho
Faster, not better. To each his own.
[edit] While we are on the subject, learning java is like pulling teeth. You can do it, but (why on earth would you want to) it might not be fun.
#15 - Vain
Quote from Dygear :Faster, not better. To each his own.
[edit] While we are on the subject, learning java is like pulling teeth. You can do it, but (why on earth would you want to) it might not be fun.

That depends on what languages you knew before. Knowing C++ and later learning java is a bloody business.

Oh, and about the C++-not-preferance-death-sentence: Come on, a bit of flaming is fun .
To each his own.

Vain
VB6 forever.

Much easier than C++, that's undeniable. Though obviously somewhat limited. And M$. Dammit.
-
Vb6 = Xf Gti

C# = Bf1
#18 - Vain
VB6 = UF1
C# = XFG
C++ = BF1

Just to point that out...

Vain
-
Since any thing you can do with C++ can be done with C#, I can't see your point, really. If only, C++ is more straightforward coding wise.

Anyway, as stated, to each his own. However, my comparison was much more realistic, and if you've worked with vb6 and c# you'll know why.
I don't believe C# is portable.

I will never use a language that is not governed by open standards, period.
Quote from Leachman :I don't believe C# is portable.

I will never use a language that is not governed by open standards, period.

Then maybe you should do your research first. Have you seen mono? C# is goverened by ECMA, as is the CLR. Sure MS can (and will) fork, but there is a open standard for the language and runtime, which is more than can be said for Java.

And while talking standards, most of the open source languages aren't goverend by any standards either. Generally they're each goverened by a benevolent cabal and you are free to fork if you don't like it.
http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

Quote :Mono provides the necessary software to develop and run .NET client and server applications on Linux, Solaris, Mac OS X, Windows, and Unix.

For the record, I didn't say Java was open. I don't like it either, as I believe I said.

Secondly, C# was distributed as a portion of the .NET platform. It was developed entirely by Microsoft, in house. Anyone can submit a proprietary product as a standard. That does not make it open.

Don't believe that C# is open. A published specification does not mean an open standard. Microsoft does not give away the reigns to any technology which it relies on for it's future. .NET, C# is being banked on by Microsoft. You can be certain that they will retain an iron grip on changes or direction.

Not sure where you're coming from with the free languages. I was referring to C or C++ which are most assuredly open standards.
Quote from Leachman :Secondly, C# was distributed as a portion of the .NET platform. It was developed entirely by Microsoft, in house. Anyone can submit a proprietary product as a standard. That does not make it open.

Don't believe that C# is open. A published specification does not mean an open standard.

Well, beyond a public standard and independent implementations of a language, I can't help you any more to believe in it. You may not believe it, but it is an open standard, what MS decides to do with it in the future notwithstanding.
I like Java. I found it easy to learn, but then again I'm quite object-oriented miself

For the work I do, I'm more than willing to sacrifice the decimals of a millisecond in processing time for easy multi-platformality. Java is just as effective as another languages - it's all in the optimization.

But I still think that the über-programming language is Prolog

How easy is Java?
(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG