NASCAR to move to fuel injection in 2012
The governing body of NASCAR has finally seen the light and announced a switch to fuel injection with McLaren ECUs in 2012. It's good to see them make at least a few changes to keep the cars relevant to current road technology.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89436

I'm sure there will be a few jokes about the lack of technology in NASCAR, but before you make them: You're wrong. Carburettors may be old school, but the engines in NASCAR are operating at similar MEP values to those in F1. Yes, the cars may be completely detached from reality, and there are areas that could do with updating; but the level of engineering in aerodynamics and other areas is huge.
Boo! Long live Carburettors!

I don't own/drive/ride a vehicle that is fuel injected (mainly because im poor )
Quote from spookthehamster :the engines in NASCAR are operating at similar MEP values to those in F1. Yes, the cars may be completely detached from reality, and there are areas that could do with updating; but the level of engineering in aerodynamics and other areas is huge.

Pretty sure it is well understood that carburetors perform decently when the only thing you ask them is delivering peak performance out of an engine. They just suck at everything else.
Sorry but the biggest reason why people thinks that carb's are sucky and annoying to drive is that there is too much cars around what have old worn out carbs and wrong jetting etc. Carbs what are in good nick / right spec for the actual motor they are attached to and have been tuned properly work beautifully through RPM range and at different loads.
Quote from BigPeBe :Sorry but the biggest reason why people thinks that carb's are sucky and annoying to drive is that there is too much cars around what have old worn out carbs and wrong jetting etc. Carbs what are in good nick / right spec for the actual motor they are attached to and have been tuned properly work beautifully through RPM range and at different loads.

Yeah sure and the whole car industry threw them away for no reason.

Good luck getting the combination of fuel economy, emission & power numbers we see nowadays with those so amazing carbs.

When I say they suck I don't mean you'll necessary have a shitty idle & stumbling etc... I'm just saying they suck compared to injection on the instant adjustability level, which is pretty important on a road car.
Yeah your comment made me assume you meant that they suck at everything besides top rpm power. Injection is simply easier and there are reasons why carbs can't be as economical (overrun fuel cutoff etc.) so I agree on that part. But as a guy who gives a rats ass about fuel economy I just love the old skool engineering.
i thought that was the point of a carb, to suck
Nah engine sucks, carbs just allow air to go through and use the airflow and negative pressure to deliver fuel.

Sorry if this is getting OT.
Quote from BigPeBe :Nah engine sucks, carbs just allow air to go through and use the airflow and negative pressure to deliver fuel.

Sorry if this is getting OT.

If we are being pedantic- the engine does not suck. The high pressure air outside of the inlet expands into the low pressure area in the cylinder.
Oh god you got me there.
lol, well, my take is that at least it's moving closer to actual stock cars, but I like Carbs just because I could careless about efficency in the 6 mpg beasts. :P
You could care less? I know it's how Americans say "I couldn't care less", but think about the words you wrote.

You COULD care less about efficiency. Therefore you must care a bit. Therefore you must want injection.

I know this comes under the heading of Grammar Nazi, but it's literally the opposite of what you meant.
Quote from tristancliffe :You could care less? I know it's how Americans say "I couldn't care less", but think about the words you wrote.

You COULD care less about efficiency. Therefore you must care a bit. Therefore you must want injection.

I know this comes under the heading of Grammar Nazi, but it's literally the opposite of what you meant.

I could care less about your post, but I replied to it so I must care alittle bit.
Quote from tristancliffe :You could care less? I know it's how Americans say "I couldn't care less"

Americans say "I could care less"? I've actually heard pidgin hawaiian people say it much more than Americans... heck I cant even remember a time when a mainlander american has said "I could care less" over "I couldn't care less"...

Although Hawaiians say that all the time. But they also say things like "I come here for look for em" when refering to a single object (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UjY_27HlXw)
Quote from tristancliffe :I know this comes under the heading of Grammar Nazi, but it's literally the opposite of what you meant.

It's not pedantic persay, not alot anyway.
lol, actually, sayings often don't make sence. Words are a conductor of feelings and if everybody is able to understand what I have stated then it could care less if it is proper. The usage of "what's up" does not make sense in the way that it is used, but none-the-less it sufficiently gets the point across.

Mid-Eastern Ohio accent is a small demographic of people that speak as so. I happen to live here.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG