The online racing simulator
Fu%&!ng Volkswagen
(63 posts, started )
Maybe go to another dealer instead of making a silly post? :X
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I went into my local dealer about getting iPod fitted to my car.

He brought me out a box and said "yeah this is what you need, blah blah" so we went and got it all booked in. This was last Thursday.

Recieve a phonecall 35 MINUTES AGO - and he says that it's not a part that's availible anymore. I mean wtf. They said they will call me in the morning to confirm but, still...wtf?

iPod integration was one of the reasons I chose a Golf, as it can be done without fitting a chavvy radio. I've seen loads of people online who say the part IS availible from Volkswagen so is my dealer being gay?

IT'S A GOLF MARK 5 OK?!?

Boo hoo? learn to wait you inpatient little dick.
lol, this one's a first.. buying a car around an iPod..
I saved 9000$ by buying a car without "iPod integration" and instead spending 130$ for a bluetooth kit that streams over radio. Quality is decent enouh and I think the offset in $ is more than enough.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I went into my local dealer about getting iPod fitted to my car.

He brought me out a box and said "yeah this is what you need, blah blah" so we went and got it all booked in. This was last Thursday.

Recieve a phonecall 35 MINUTES AGO - and he says that it's not a part that's availible anymore. I mean wtf. They said they will call me in the morning to confirm but, still...wtf?

iPod integration was one of the reasons I chose a Golf, as it can be done without fitting a chavvy radio. I've seen loads of people online who say the part IS availible from Volkswagen so is my dealer being gay?

IT'S A GOLF MARK 5 OK?!?

Blame the dealership not the company, think of it this way, Volkswagen are German, the dealers are going to go by the work ethic of what ever country they are situated in, in your case, British work ethic...

And for the record? When will you ****ers learn to read? He said ipod intergration was ONE of the reasons he bought a Golf.
Quote from BlueFlame :And for the record? When will you ****ers learn to read? He said ipod intergration was ONE of the reasons he bought a Golf.

the point was that ipod conectivity should have ZEROinfluence in his purchase choice. simply because you can have ipod connectivity with any car.
Quote from dadge :the point was that ipod conectivity should have ZEROinfluence in his purchase choice. simply because you can have ipod connectivity with any car.

WITH A FACTORY FITTED RADIO, NOT AN AFTERMARKET HEAD UNIT. GOSH.

And thanks Jake.

Quote from 91mason91 :Boo hoo? learn to wait you inpatient little dick.

Where's the impatience in that? There's nothing about waiting times. It's to do with asking for a product, telling me that it was availible and that I could have it fitted, and then telling me that I couldn't.

Learn to read, I won't bother insulting you because I'm not an internet tough guy.

On the actual topic, I spoke to a dealer in Westbury (about 40 miles away) who said it was still availible, my dealer was talking crap and that they had one in stock. It even came out at about £20 cheaper, so £170 fitted.

Out of curiosity, I emailed a car audio place who wanted £250 for a similar kit, however that was with a dash mounted cradle...maybe in the future I will get it dash mounted but it can stay in the glovebox for now. It's getting fitted on Friday.
i think i already covered what they'd be installing. i think it's something very similar to this: http://enfigcarstereo.com/shop ... ore/html/VW_MLINK1_5.html which is only £43.42. so, you're still getting your wee rusted bullet hole(ass) pounded. £250 to fit a £43.42 box. i want that job.
EDIT: it seems you haven't seen my first post in this thread. shame, it could have saved you £210
You're right about what it is that they're installing. I was looking at an XCarLink which is £85. But I don't want to take my dash apart to **** about with what is, to me, an expensive car.

P.s I did see your earlier posts.
give that forum i linked to a wee read. you'll find that the install is actually quite simple. even a ropey mechanic could fit it.
one guy earthed the box to his firewall and then passed the ipod cable through to his glovebox. it could save you a fortune m8. money that could be spent on other things.
Whats wrong with the radio trasmitters that were mentioned before? They work perfectly well and are about £20. They just fit to the end of your ipod and can be run from battery (phone, or seperate. Or via the car) They also take up no room and look nice too.

I am a bit grumpy though and sick of seeing annoying threads like, "How do I poo properly?" What car should I buy (p.s. I won;t take your advice anyway it's just a good way to show I can't look at reviews myself or test drive a car, and to show I have lots of moneys and lifes!" and my usual fav which is "I'm a little weener who has been dumped/loook at my amazingly hot/fake gf"

Well thats my rant over.

p.s.
Lol nice rant, oh yeah try test driving cars at 19, you will get told to piss off! I did look at reviews. where's the weener who's been dumped though? Neither have I posted pictures of my GF online, because she's secretly a man.

oh shi~

FM transmitter quality is not very good. Lacks the bass and sounds generally tinny. My friend at work had one which I tried which wasn't very good IMO.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :[B]WITH A FACTORY FITTED RADIO, NOT AN AFTERMARKET HEAD UNIT. GOSH.
On the actual topic, I spoke to a dealer in Westbury (about 40 miles away) who said it was still availible, my dealer was talking crap and that they had one in stock. It even came out at about £20 cheaper, so £170 fitted.

There is non difference between Xcarlink what what VW offer as official integration. You just pay for the brand 85 vs 150....almost twice of that. Its the same box which will be connected to your CD changer connector on the back of the integrated radio(just ask the dealer). So if this was only your decision to buy Golf V then I dont know what to say....

Most of these "integration" are not real one. They just provide another small box and as I said above just connect it to CD changer connector on the back of the radio.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :useless rant

Oh, now I see how VW's suck, I mean, what an asses are they to not have one of their dealers have a product ready which is made to integrate one specified and special object, probably soon to be outdated, to fit into your car, solely to make it play music, I see how it's their fault to not have that product ready to make it do one exclusive task for your car.
S14 the only bit I was referring to you was your annoying habbit of posting threads like:

Damn garages!
Damn What car shall I buy?
Xbox Screwed me over!!
xxx part of my car is broken how do I fix it
Where has my xxxxx gone
Damn garages! (again)
Oh my god Should I sell my bike?
Oh my god should I buy a bike
Will you buy my bike?
Will you help me find a bike?
Will you help me touch people? (may be a lie)
I feel all "emo"
I actually touch animals (maybe a lie. If you don't work with animals I do apologise)

Tadaaaa!!!!
Quote from rich uk :Whats wrong with the radio trasmitters that were mentioned before? They work perfectly well and are about £20. They just fit to the end of your ipod and can be run from battery (phone, or seperate. Or via the car) They also take up no room and look nice too.

I am a bit grumpy though and sick of seeing annoying threads like, "How do I poo properly?" What car should I buy (p.s. I won;t take your advice anyway it's just a good way to show I can't look at reviews myself or test drive a car, and to show I have lots of moneys and lifes!" and my usual fav which is "I'm a little weener who has been dumped/loook at my amazingly hot/fake gf"

Well thats my rant over.

p.s.

You are being so elitist and unfair, Rich!
What if i was a 19 year old troubled british lad, who isn't really tech-savvy, who doesn't still know how to properly eat, who buys things impulsively, not really realizing what money is worth and that for every action there is a reaction,
yet still have a temper and a seemingly cynically cool internet persona which on second glance just looks like it stems from a dire need for acceptance from the society?

I mean, if i was as troubled as that, i'd seek compassion instead of disapproval from people like you </3
Quote from dadge :the point was that ipod conectivity should have ZEROinfluence in his purchase choice. simply because you can have ipod connectivity with any car.

Who gives a monkeys, it's clearly not the deciding factor of his list of do's and don't at least he's man enough to admit that an intricate thing was important to him.

The way everyone is flaming him is in the way of "LOL YOU BOUGHT A CAR COS IT PLUGZ DA IPOD IN KEKEKEKE"

It's not as simple as 'It has wheels and an engine'. A car has to function, inside and out. Don't see what flaming him achieves.

When you buy a toothbrush you don't just go, yea, it's a toothbrush, if you have sensetive teeth you will test the bristles, the tension in the handle as well (this is just an example).

I agree with that being a factor of necessity, he was obviously looking to buy a NEW car. Which meant all the $20 shit buckets were out of the question.

But this is the LFS forum, because he said ONE thing, you have to twist it, keep telling him it, and ignore anything else he says. Even if he was just trying to justify his decision to the community. (not that he does)

Having ipod connectability is just another box to tick in the section of COMFORT when buying a car. It's comfortable AND convenient. He won't be comfortable in himself, his pride would diminish, if he had to get a Halfords ICE system just to have an ipod to plug in.
Quote from BlueFlame :
Having ipod connectability is just another box to tick in the section of COMFORT when buying a car. It's comfortable AND convenient. He won't be comfortable in himself, his pride would diminish, if he had to get a Halfords ICE system just to have an ipod to plug in.

so connecting a £7 cable to the cd aux ports on the back of his radio is inconvenient? searching google for cheaper options is also inconvenient? he said he went for the golf because of its ipod connectivity. read the first post again. i think you'll find that it was a deciding factor in his purchase.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :iPod integration was one of the reasons I chose a Golf,

he's probably walked away from some cracking deals because the incar radio didn't have an ipod cable connected to the back of it. again, £7 would have solved that problem.
let's not talk about him dismissing all after market in-car radios as "chavvy". because that one statement makes so much more sense than spending thousands on a car that has an ipod cable in it. i could have recommended a set of headphones and a bus pass, but i didn't.
Quote from dadge :so connecting a £7 cable to the cd aux ports on the back of his radio is inconvenient? searching google for cheaper options is also inconvenient? he said he went for the golf because of its ipod connectivity. read the first post again. i think you'll find that it was a deciding factor in his purchase.
he's probably walked away from some cracking deals because the incar radio didn't have an ipod cable connected to the back of it. again, £7 would have solved that problem.

Yes but it's not the point dadge. It's the notion that you all flame him over that ONE thing. Giving him more hassle verbally over the very thing he wanted no hassle from, it's only gonna make him stay the way he is.

Whilst ANY new VW is like chopping off your wilkins for experimental science tests, have it returned only then to discover you unrinate on your own face no matter what position you place it in he won't regret buying the car in the future, unless he sells it within the next 5 years (which he shouldn't need to anyway).
i have not flamed the guy. i've actually tried to give him options and also tried to save him over £200. i think what everyone is annoyed about is that the ipod thing is such a small issue and can be implemented into nearly any car on the road. but to have it as a deal maker is just silly. it's like turning down a Ferrari because it didn't have metal dust caps on the wheels like a Lamborghini.
Guys,
I doubt that radio has native iPod support at all. If it would then it is just a cable he need. I dont think the cable would cost 150 pounds, do you?

Its a box between the radio and iPod and that not native iPod support. Mentioned here many time but you can get the same for half. I think the dealer was laying when he told him when buying the car that the radio has native iPod support or he did not know himself. I would be not suprised.
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Guys,
I doubt that radio has native iPod support at all. If it would then it is just a cable he need. I dont think the cable would cost 150 pounds, do you?

Its a box between the radio and iPod and that not native iPod support. Mentioned here many time but you can get the same for half. I think the dealer was laying when he told him when buying the car that the radio has native iPod support or he did not know himself. I would be not suprised.

we know that. he's been linked to a similar product that will be installed. only it's £210 cheaper.
Rich, I make pointless threads. Some of which you mentioned were not made by me. So I'm slightly confused, but never the less.

Quote from Fuse5 :You are being so elitist and unfair, Rich!
What if i was a 19 year old troubled british lad, who isn't really tech-savvy, who doesn't still know how to properly eat, who buys things impulsively, not really realizing what money is worth and that for every action there is a reaction,
yet still have a temper and a seemingly cynically cool internet persona which on second glance just looks like it stems from a dire need for acceptance from the society?

I mean, if i was as troubled as that, i'd seek compassion instead of disapproval from people like you </3

I live by myself, I'm not flush with cash, and yes I make some bad decisions with my money, but I'm young and while I have the chance and lack of relative responsibility (i.e no children), then if I want to buy things, then I will. I earn my living. I don't make myself feel better by trying to be a big man on the internet, or trying to make other people appear to be feeble. Which is what you seem to be trying to do. I don't really mind if people don't like me ON THE INTERNET. I mean, sure, if we could all get along, then great. But if not, I won't be losing any sleep about it.

Oh noes, people on the internet don't like me, I must cry. Maybe when most of the elitist and stuck up pricks on this forum actually post something other than useless drivel "mwah mwaah mwah demo user mwah mwah mwah mwah immigrants mwah mwa mwah how wonderful Scavier is.." etc, and actually some interesting topics of converstation appear, maybe I won't have to entertain myself with random topics.

p.s my poo topic was awesome, don't diss.

I have a girlfriend, I have friends, I have (some) family that care about me. I need no more acceptance from society than what I have already been given. Certainly not from a fellow forum member.

Devil is correct. The "unit" in question basically plugs into the back of the head unit, which then has a box and a cable for the iPod. It's not "native", as in you can control the music from the head unit but only have 6 playlists.

p.s Dadge is not flaming me, he's trying to help. Everyone else is just trying to jump on the "not helping" bandwagon.

The adaptor to buy myself is about £80, as discussed - for the decent ones that people on the Mk5 forum recommend. You can get crappy imported ones from Hong Kong for half that but I hear they break.

Then I would either need to fit it, which I don't want to do because I have a bit of a habbit of breaking screwheads, etc and I like the fact my car is actually screwed together well, or get someone else to fit it (which again will cost more money)

You all seem to think that iPod connectivity is EASY and cheap. It's not just "a cable". The FACTORY FIT (important part, there) radio that comes with my car does not have an Aux Input, or I would buy a cable (as I did in my Corsa....) and so needs a "workaround" which is this unit which emulates a CD changer.

Alot of the suggestions come from people who seem to have radios with Aux In or USB slots on them. These are not standard fitment in mine!!! Unless you have a really modern and new car, in which case you're lucky.

I bought the car from a private trader. His name is Alex, based in Manchester. A really nice guy. At no point did I ask him about iPod connectivity in the pre-purchase process. I had done my research online for iPod connectivity for a Mk5 Golf, hence my confusion when my local VDub dealer told me I could no longer get the kit. I come here for a rant/enquire about other options.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I was looking at an XCarLink which is £85. But I don't want to take my dash apart to **** about with what is, to me, an expensive car.

FYI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSe7CnLmD58

Note, from 53 seconds to 54 seconds is the actual removal of the radio. All the rest of the video is a long explanation of the removal keys, available for me here for $4.

1 second to remove the radio, no dash taking apart needed....

Fu%&!ng Volkswagen
(63 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG