The online racing simulator
Quote from aroX123 :very different sidepods

It has also additional air intake on top like Lotus Renault.

it's the nose that intrigues me, looks like they've created a false floor / splitter arangement between the wing supports that runs back to the main tub

I'm sorry. (plagiarised from Autosport forums )
Some pics starting to surface...

Quote from pasibrzuch :

looking at that view and the angle of the "false floor" on the nose and the low sections of the side pods it looks like they may be trying to direct the air from below the nose over the side pods and direct it to the rear wing assembly
Rumours are that the exhaust system is yet to be revealed. Likely to be same as Renault
Quote from Zdenek CZE :Interesting photo of McLaren.

http://a.yfrog.com/img620/147/c7dwf.jpg

Demonstrates just how little of the car is actually real, and how much of it is bodged together for a show car. Cooling system obviously a dummy. Exhaust system obviously a dummy. I believe the whole engine was a plastic dummy unit. No electrics/electronics. Even the cockpit is excessively bare. Diffuser is a dummy (although Craig Scarborough thinks otherwise - for once I believe him to be wrong), and the bodywork around the gearbox will change massively before the final test.

As a launch car for showing the overall shape of the initial package it is nice, but for seeing anything more it's useless.
Quote from tristancliffe :Demonstrates just how little of the car is actually real, and how much of it is bodged together for a show car. Cooling system obviously a dummy. Exhaust system obviously a dummy. I believe the whole engine was a plastic dummy unit. No electrics/electronics. Even the cockpit is excessively bare. Diffuser is a dummy (although Craig Scarborough thinks otherwise - for once I believe him to be wrong), and the bodywork around the gearbox will change massively before the final test.

As a launch car for showing the overall shape of the initial package it is nice, but for seeing anything more it's useless.

I agree, the 'exhaust' itself seems to made of Carbon Fibre, first time I've ever seen a CF exhaust before... indication that it is fake.

Plus the position that it is in almost reflects that of an inline cylinder engine, V format engines need more room to go from two banks of cylinders into one single exhaust port. Seems to look a bit odd in that respect. Only time will tell though, maybe it will be made of plastic!
Quote from BlueFlame :I agree, the 'exhaust' itself seems to made of Carbon Fibre, first time I've ever seen a CF exhaust before... indication that it is fake.

Plus the position that it is in almost reflects that of an inline cylinder engine, V format engines need more room to go from two banks of cylinders into one single exhaust port. Seems to look a bit odd in that respect. Only time will tell though, maybe it will be made of plastic!

Seriously. What you are referring to isn't the engine exhaust. The engine exhaust system is grey maybe plastic tubing low down either side of the engine.
Quote from BlueFlame :I agree, the 'exhaust' itself seems to made of Carbon Fibre, first time I've ever seen a CF exhaust before... indication that it is fake.

I dont see how this manifold looks CF. What's the indication that it looks CF to you? Building a CF manifold only for it to be a dummy on the launch? Don't think so. It's plastic.

I don't get the inline vs V structure comparison. You know there's another bank of cylinders and another manifold on the other side of the car?

U-shaped pods could be a decent solution for bringing quality air to the rear. It also has a pretty long wheelbase. Jenson will like like that

Seems like they have multiple exhaust solutions and are still undecided on which to use. Looks like you can either blow: the diffuser starter hole, the diffuser outer areas or the front of the floor.
Quote from tristancliffe :Demonstrates just how little of the car is actually real, and how much of it is bodged together for a show car. Cooling system obviously a dummy. Exhaust system obviously a dummy. I believe the whole engine was a plastic dummy unit. No electrics/electronics. Even the cockpit is excessively bare. Diffuser is a dummy...

Well done. There is a clear reason for that.

I personally like it. Its something different, but IMO thats a good thing. About time that someone revived the "William Walrus" thinking back into F1.

Its going to be interesting. Either McLaren are lightning quick, or underperform and look like bunch of idiots.
as mclaren themselves have said, the engine and exhaust are dummies to keep the main parts of the design secret for as long as possible, they're hinting that some areas of the car may be quite radically different to how the launch car looked and haven't ruled out that it may have forward exhausts
Quote from PhilS13 :I dont see how this manifold looks CF. What's the indication that it looks CF to you? Building a CF manifold only for it to be a dummy on the launch? Don't think so. It's plastic.

I don't get the inline vs V structure comparison. You know there's another bank of cylinders and another manifold on the other side of the car?

1. Then it could easily be plastic with a CF texture.

2. That IS what I was saying.
Quote from DaveWS :...

Seriously. What you are referring to isn't the engine exhaust. The engine exhaust system is grey maybe plastic tubing low down either side of the engine.

What I am referring to isn't the exhaust, that is correct, it is a 'mock exhaust' on all other cars, gearbox oil is moderated through an opening at the back of the sidepods, nothing more, that or an opening above the gearbox itself, but the McLaren at the launch has a 6inch CF (looking) oval at the back of the airbox.
Quote from BlueFlame : the McLaren at the launch has a 6inch CF (looking) oval at the back of the airbox.

thats the exhaust vent for the hydraulic / gearboc cooling, you can follow the flow from the secondary air intakes to the coller assy ontop of the box and then the carbon fibre duct to vet the air. there reason it looks strange with the body on is there is a fairly large air gap all round it to hent hot air from the engine etc (not engine exhaust)
If the actual car is going to be radically different from the launch car then the launch is just a big fake PR exercise. Pointless for most people. Why even waste valuable time with a fake launch??
Quote from BlueFlame :1. Then it could easily be plastic with a CF texture.

2. That IS what I was saying.

All clear now, next time it'd just be better for everyone if you wouldn't call 'exhaust' any piece of cooling vent/duct.

Looks like we're done with the all-race-long-lasting prime tyre.
Quote from anttt69 :If the actual car is going to be radically different from the launch car then the launch is just a big fake PR exercise. Pointless for most people. Why even waste valuable time with a fake launch??

It was more of a show for Vodafone.
Quote from anttt69 :the launch is just a big fake PR exercise.

Isn't that the point actually?
Quote from anttt69 :If the actual car is going to be radically different from the launch car then the launch is just a big fake PR exercise. Pointless for most people. Why even waste valuable time with a fake launch??

Well considering most F1 teams rely heavily on massive sponsorship it makes nothing but perfect sense for them to launch their car in this way. McLaren have always been one of the front running teams when pushing corporate relationships.

The exhaust doesn't look like carbon fibre at all.

You also clearly know nothing about exhaust design if you think they all have to go into one 'port'.
-
(Intrepid) DELETED by Intrepid
Just read about Kubica, hope he gets well again
Quote from tristancliffe :The exhaust doesn't look like carbon fibre at all.

You also clearly know nothing about exhaust design if you think they all have to go into one 'port'.

1 : http://images.teamtalk.com/11/ ... MP426-McLaren_2558676.jpg - Oh , yea my bad it doesn't look like Carbon Fibre at all.....

2 : I don't claim to know anything about exhaust design, what I do know is that picture isn't it. I'm only calling it an exhaust because they (McLaren) are. Thinking of it as a ventilation hole for gearbox cooling makes more sense as the way it is designed looks as though it's meant to pull the heat from underneath the engine cover itself rather than everybody elses 'gaping holes' that are just there to use the use the high pressure air to drag the hot air out the back of the car but McLaren said some of the car was designed just for the launch to throw the other teams off the scent, not like it matters anyway.

You mustn't be able to read very well if you think that I said exhausts have to into a unified exit...... In this configuration the picture posted, it couldn't possibly BE an exhaust, that's the whole point.

Formula One Season 2011
(1339 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG