The online racing simulator
XFR Fliping !
(58 posts, started )
#1 - Lato
XFR Fliping !
I'm not really sure if this is a bug, but the XFR flips all the time... What do u think about this ?
I'll doubt it flips all the time. Just post a replay here, and we will see what you mean exactly
#3 - (SaM)
The XFR has got slicks. If you give it a setup that makes flipping easy and youre not driving as such to prevent flips, youre gonna flip. The same thing would happen in reality.. a danger of slicks for people that arent experienced with it is that they can flip their car alot more easily.
I dont think that the car should flip from pure grip, The hotlap sets I have just want to flip over in fast corners, dont think this is real
It hardly flips from its grip, the grip level just 'helps' with the rollovers really...

Because I really only get into rollovers from hitting inside curbs or bumps while in a hard 'snap' turn. My setups do cause a bit of tipping sometimes, but if you work on the suspension a bit you can have a more 'rigid' car that won't want to tip so much. It is also just a matter of how you drive the car into the corners -- ie your approach, how fast you turn the wheel, etc.

It isn't a bug, because this can happen with any similar car I think. I have videos of a race version Lancer Evolution driving on track and then it all of a sudden just rollsover while taking a turn (and it barely touched a lot of dirt on the inside off the corner apex).... was crazy to see, but looked just like the XFR rolling over.
#6 - Lato
That is what i wanted to know, if this can happen in real life i'm ok with it... but any other LFS car isn't so easy to "hit the roof" with it... like the XF GTR would have the cantre of gravity near roof, or even above it
#7 - (SaM)
Well, the slicks are an important factor to flip the car. Try giving the setup that flips so much some road tyres with the slickmod. It wont flip half as easy.
But a high center of gravity and a short track on the wheels helps as well.
Well, take a set with good grip and enter the Aston national T1 with max grip usage, no matter how smooth You turn in, I flipped the hell outta My car without touching anything Well, in the XFR You can flip it easily any time. I dont see flips happening in real life all the time. I simply had to take the corner a few km/h slower to get My hotlap done heh
In real life, you know fliping is going to hurt, so you let off before you get that far, in the game one has a tendancy to push it just a little further to try and make up time, because there is nothing really to lose...more of somthing we have all had to learn since S2 came out than a bug IMO
Well there was a post about this over at RSC - and this guy made a video demonstrating a bug in LFS where the tire would merge with the ground, and then pop up and out at an unrealistic speed and with an unrealistic and exaggerated rebound force.

At 70MPH hitting a curb, that extra force could be enough to flip the car if that bug happens in that situation..

-frame by frame the video until you see the wheel go through the curb.
http://driverheavenuploads.co.uk/BWX/jump.avi
Quote from BWX232 :Well there was a post about this over at RSC - and this guy made a video demonstrating a bug in LFS where the tire would merge with the ground, and then pop up and out at an unrealistic speed and with an unrealistic and exaggerated rebound force.

it look like its the same bug that causes barriers to kick you miles into the air (anybody who did some banger racing will know what i mean) im not sure if this bug was already there in s1 but its pretty annoying and causes many problems ...
maybe its just physics lag ... maybe its something else (could be the damage model not updating fast enough but i dont really know ... just that iirc the bug didnt exist in s1 and therefore it must be something that came with all the changes in s2)
That did exist in S1 shotglass, but just not as we knew it - I'm guessing that we all assumed it was because S1 had no damage model.

As stated in another thread, I think its because the physics is only modelled at 100Hz, and an initial intersection occurs between cycles. On the next cycle it realises that the car shouldnt be there and logically attempts to move it where it thinks it should be.
Quote from the_angry_angel :That did exist in S1 shotglass, but just not as we knew it - I'm guessing that we all assumed it was because S1 had no damage model.

As stated in another thread, I think its because the physics is only modelled at 100Hz, and an initial intersection occurs between cycles. On the next cycle it realises that the car shouldnt be there and logically attempts to move it where it thinks it should be.

Thing is I heard a Dev say that in reality the physics engine runs at 2000hz because of all the "steps" between then cycles..
I can't remember where the post is, but it was last week sometime. Interesting thread it was.
Quote from Lato :I'm not really sure if this is a bug, but the XFR flips all the time... What do u think about this ?

this car not fliping all the time u must drive carefully that car has got only bad suspension
Hmm, interesting to know BWX - I'm not entirely sure I follow that, but I have mentioned this in another thread with Bob who said that the inner loop ran at 2KHz, and that the external loop at 100Hz - is this what you meant (edit: this thread)?

My comment was that the inner loop is probably for sampling, rather than intersection checking because doing some bounding box sanity is too time consuming to do that fast on today's lower end PCs.
#16 - mr_x
i managed 10 rolls on BLGP today (pic1), was assisted when i was avoiding someone else and spun into a passing car which sent me barrel rolling down the back straight, fairly impressive too

second one i took a kurb a bit too much and it rolled over some more (which doesnt flip the FXR btw)

happened in 2 consecutive races
Attached images
barrelroll4.jpg
rollover.JPG
Quote from the_angry_angel : is this what you meant (edit: this thread)?

no it was at RSC last week.. I can't remember where though.. Probably right about not being for collision detection though. Actually, if you look at that video- you know it is not.

Whatever rate RBR's physics engine runs at would be great for LFS though- that engine is very smooth.
XFR isn't the only car that flips often... XRR has come close countless times for me, usually when Scottie is nearby and I am tring to pass him through a turn.. bastard!!

Lucky for me I manage to catch it most times.

The question is, does this EVER happen in real life when cars are going the same speed over the same sized curbs? If so I have never seen it.

If not, then it is a some kind of flaw that should be sorted out.
Cars clatter all sorts of curbs IRL with usually no problem
http://www.carenthusiast.com/k ... c2002_knockhill_kf_01.jpg
for example. The car in that picture is going pretty fast and turning to the right slightly too.

The XFR is indeed too prone to rolling over imo, sometimes even just a little off-camber is enough to put it on its roof, never mind a curb on the inside of the corner. It feels almost as if all of the weight is near the top of the car.
I've seen our local V8 Supercars get on two wheels and flip often enough to think what LFS does is realistic

For those who don't know about the Aussie Supercars, think of them as a 4 door XRR but with 650 - 700hp V8 engines and no turbo.
Quote from Rotary :I've seen our local V8 Supercars get on two wheels and flip often enough to think what LFS does is realistic

For those who don't know about the Aussie Supercars, think of them as a 4 door XRR but with 650 - 700hp V8 engines and no turbo.

I watch many of those races on SPEED channel when they have them on.. great races.
#24 - J.B.
Quote from Jaakko_M :Check this out http://koti.mbnet.fi/jamikko/jepjep.avi

OUCH! That is indeed the most unrealistic thing I have seen happening in LFS. Any ideas why this is happening? Maybe there really is a problem with mass distribution or rotational inertia. Hopefully on the model side not on the physics side.
Doesnt look that unrealistic to me.. he was cornering at high speed pulling over 1G to the left. All the weight transfered to the right wheels. He hit a bump and it got too much and he got up, rebounced and because the centre of gravity was raised up by flipping a bit, he rolled.. happens in reality as well.

XFR Fliping !
(58 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG