The online racing simulator
XFR Fliping !
(58 posts, started )
I would guess its a combination of many things (most have been mentioned here) from the over elastic collisions (not enough energy is disipated on impact?), the way the physics engine operates to the highly tuneable setups we can have (which enables us to have setups perhaps not possible on similar cars in RL?) but I think that the setups we tend to go with and the fact that we as virtual drivers will go to the edge without any fear as real life drivers have is much of the reason for these flipping occurances

I'm reminded of a particular qualification session at Bathurst with the V8Supercars and a driver named Greg Murphy... In one particular year he did an absolutely awsome lap about 1 sec faster than any of his competitors in a class of racing where 100th of a sec is alot (he got a standing ovation from the whole pit lane) and I put it down just too his pure GUTS (or stupidity ) to drive at the very edge for the entire lap, his car was on 2 wheels quite alot on that lap I think we as virtual drivers drive much closer to the ragged edge than we probably would in RL...
Quote from B2B@300 :I would guess its a combination of many things (most have been mentioned here) from the over elastic collisions (not enough energy is disipated on impact?), the way the physics engine operates to the highly tuneable setups we can have (which enables us to have setups perhaps not possible on similar cars in RL?) but I think that the setups we tend to go with and the fact that we as virtual drivers will go to the edge without any fear as real life drivers have is much of the reason for these flipping occurances

I'm reminded of a particular qualification session at Bathurst with the V8Supercars and a driver named Greg Murphy... In one particular year he did an absolutely awsome lap about 1 sec faster than any of his competitors in a class of racing where 100th of a sec is alot (he got a standing ovation from the whole pit lane) and I put it down just too his pure GUTS (or stupidity ) to drive at the very edge for the entire lap, his car was on 2 wheels quite alot on that lap I think we as virtual drivers drive much closer to the ragged edge than we probably would in RL...

WOW!! i love to see that lap, i used to watch V8 super cars cause was on at about 3 in the morning but not seen for a year or two now
There is certainly something wrong with the grip levels, check my replay. Using a race set the XFR flips over at the end of backstraight.

If you watch the replay, the flip what I mean is after the long straight, ignore the 2 first 2 wheelies

Ignore my extremely horrible driving too, I'm totally lost with this car atm...

EDIT: Holy cow!! I've tried four setups so far and the car just flips and flips... If it like this with XFR I'll never drive with this anymore...only thing that I need to be aware of in corners is that going in with too much speed causes me to flip, not spin or over shooting the corners. I mean, scary...
Attached files
Hyperactive_BL1_XFR.spr - 17.4 KB - 309 views
it works best for me when I set it up for the most grip, then reduce front camber until flipping is less of a problem.
Comparing this car to a toyota Yaris (Vitz I think), I remember being at Zolder a few times, and in the last chicane, when they go over the kerb, they (almost) flip a lot! The kerb is so high and combined with velocity and CG, it will flip fairly easily. In LFS people don't hold back when on 2 wheels, and the first chicane at blackwood is perfect to flip cars on.
Quote from sgt.flippy :Comparing this car to a toyota Yaris (Vitz I think), I remember being at Zolder a few times, and in the last chicane, when they go over the kerb, they (almost) flip a lot! The kerb is so high and combined with velocity and CG, it will flip fairly easily. In LFS people don't hold back when on 2 wheels, and the first chicane at blackwood is perfect to flip cars on.

The difference is that the XFR flips even on very flat surfaces or even at corners with some positive camber (like ovals). Though I just love the UFR. It's way more fun than the boring XFR...too bad it's so much slower...
I was using a WR set for a FE track with the XFR the other day, on BL1.

Where the big camber change is in the second turn after the rear straight, I was flipping the thing over just by smoothly driving through the corner without even touching a kerb. Whoa!
#58 - J.B.
Yesterday I flipped the FOX in the last corner of Blackwood but I did hit the kerb quite hard. Still, this issue is a bit disturbing since it can't really be attributed to a slight inaccuracy in the tyre model or something like that. It seems more like there is a problem with the centre of gravity height or polar moment of inertia. Hopefully the problem is more in the actual car model than in the physics engine.

XFR Fliping !
(58 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG