The online racing simulator
Christ, what's gonna happen when they start broadcasting in 3D???

Actually if someone wanted to upgrade their TV I'd say you'd be better off investing in a projector. Nothing beats a proper home cinema! 100+ inch screen awesomeness!!!! Tiny HDTVs for movies and sport? No thanks

Anyway, what are we actually talking about again!??!
When 3D becomes mainstream everyone will have to sell their 3 year old TV and buy a 3D one. When 1080p is superceded in a couple of years, everyone will have have to buy a new TV that can cope. And so on and so on.

The TV people have realised they don't have to sell a product that is absolutely fine 25 years later - push through new technology under the pretence of it being better and everyone will be a returning customer every 3 - 5 years.
Well, the Ford F-150 comes to mind here.
Quote from BlueFlame :If that's all you have, why not?

If it ain't broke don't fix it and for the record FPS = frames per second in this context, not first person shooter.

WTF you been smoking?

Look. Here is the very same image in HD and in the normal res normal tvs use.

HD = higher res, nothing else. just that.
Normal Def

HighDef

If you cant see it all, save them to your pc, then look at both maximized on your screen.
The only difference, other than one being bigger obviously, is that I can read Pepe Jeans more easily. Woop de fecking doo. Clearly the smaller sponsors will love HD, as they'll be able to be seen on static screenshots.

Other than that, I can't see anything in the bigger picture that I couldn't see before.
I also can't wait for the newest screen format of 64:9 for that authentic hyper-wide visual experience.

HD is one of those things that makes you go "hmm, that's pretty good", but it does not make something worth watching that was not worth watching before, in SD.
Totally agree Sinbad.

I have a 720p TV (that I bought off my girlfriend when she upgraded to 1080p), and the best things to use on it are the PS3 and David Attenborough documentaries. And Avatar (which is better still in 1080p). And hopefully the Blu-Ray Star Wars trilogy (I know it won't, as it's digitally remastered, which means not-quite-as-shit-as-in-period).

Hurt Locker was grainy - no more visual information than on SD, but 'texture' added by a grain overlay. Matrix looks upscaled. Top Gear in HD is utterly pointless. NASCAR might be nice if you like looking up sponsors, but it won't actually make the sport any better in any way, shape or form. Even digital films like Shrek or Toy Story don't look any better in HD than they do in SD.

Ever wondered why, when you go to a TV shop and see HD TV's for sale, they usually have a demo-video running on them - running water, crashing waves, flying birds, blowing sand - because they DO look better. Films and programmes, on the whole, don't.
Quote from tristancliffe :Films and programmes, on the whole, don't.

I disagree. Sure, some movies and TV benefit more than others from high definition, but all which were shot in 'HD' or higher benefit. Films like Hero (which I recently watched in 1080p) are so much more immersive and visually stunning in HD than DVD or other SD alternatives. Even film/TV genres which wouldn't seem to be as obvious to benefit from HD are improved because of the increase in clarity of the surroundings and in the actor's reactions. You can just pick up so much more in HD than in SD. Obviously this is an issue that's down to personal opinion and taste, to an extent, but I just can't respect the side of the argument that tries to argue technology is on their side when it clearly isn't.

F1 in HD will be more informative, more visually stunning and more immersive than in SD.
I don't think F1 will be visually stunning - well, no more that it already is in SD. It's still filmed from trackside cameras with the same zooms. Slow mo's will look better, especially of crashes, but the general action will look the same to all intents.

I don't think F1 will be more informative in HD, unless we start getting shots of the cars in the garage with setup wheels on, or of hydraulic looms etc. But we never get them anyway, except on Autosport in photos (which I look at like my life depends on). You won't be able to see wheel nuts loosening. You will still be able to see the driver pressing buttons on onboard shots or giving the finger on trackside shots.

Immersive in HD? I doubt we'll all start thinking we're actually there. Rubbish sound. Commentary. No sense of speed. Dull colours (if you've ever seen F1 liveries in the flesh, you'll appreciate that no TV broadcast or image has ever captured the colours). I don't see how more pixels will make it more immersive.
Quote from amp88 :F1 in HD will be more informative, more visually stunning and more immersive than in SD.

For the first Moto GP race of 2010 I put an online stream on a cinema 100+ inch screen. The actual picture quality wasn't particularly good, certainly not HD, but the whole room was shouting and screaming and I pretty much picked up on 99% of all the handling developments that were happening. Even in sub-SD the race was as immersive as being there. Certainly better doing it that way than on some diddy HD TV

I think what is going on here is what I call 'Karl Pilkington Travel Syndrome'. By that I mean someone who is not overly impressed by something, despite a cascade of praise that 'something' attracts. Anyone who has seen Idiot Abroad will know what I am going on about. That's how I feel about HD. You have everyone telling you constantly how amazing it is, when in my reality it's not much different than what we've had before. In some case it's worse.

Everyone is different of course, naturally.
I've just bought the F1 2010 review on DVD and viewing it is just disappointing, granted part of the problem is with the compression other than it being SD, but F1 really deserve to be in true HD glory.
Quote from J@tko :Sutil/di Resta/Hulkenberg @ Force India

Hope Paul does well this season

Very disappointed for Liuzzi. Very respected from 'within' the sport, but respect only gets you so far in this game.

Great news for Di Resta though!! And Hulkenberg as reserve driver too. Even though Mercedes probably had something to do with the deals it's nice to see a driver get into F1 off the back of genuine talent.
tha great big problem with HD is that even though stuff is broadcasted in HD, it is usually not RECORDED in HD. just the regular cams, that do slightly better than SD. Result; even though it is being seen at 1920*1080, it is just upscaled and blurred 720p-ish

Exceptions are the stuff you look at and in .1 secs go "oh.. wow that is gorgeous."

And another is that you are looking at both pics in the same res. Maximize BOTH to your screen and the diff should be obvious.
Quote from Intrepid :That's how I feel about HD. You have everyone telling you constantly how amazing it is, when in my reality it's not much different than what we've had before. In some case it's worse.

Have you ever saw same channel in SD and it's HD version? Between your words I see a guy who is for some personal reason biased tottaly towards projectors...
Quote from tristancliffe :The only difference, other than one being bigger obviously, is that I can read Pepe Jeans more easily. Woop de fecking doo. Clearly the smaller sponsors will love HD, as they'll be able to be seen on static screenshots.

Other than that, I can't see anything in the bigger picture that I couldn't see before.

the reason for that is that its a downscaled picture which makes it a lot sharper than it would be if it had been shot at the resolution its being shown at
granted that effect will also improve the sd broadcast next year but it you really think hd isnt a massive improvement for pretty much everything either your eyes are broken or you have a way too tiny tv for even sd to reach the limits of your visual acuity

Quote from tristancliffe :Top Gear in HD is utterly pointless.

clearly you havent got the faintest idea about filming and or photography
the production value of top gear (both picture and audio) is simply mind boggingly high and with hd you actually get the resolution required to full appreciate it

Quote from Intrepid :I think what is going on here is what I call 'Karl Pilkington Travel Syndrome'. By that I mean someone who is not overly impressed by something, despite a cascade of praise that 'something' attracts. Anyone who has seen Idiot Abroad will know what I am going on about. That's how I feel about HD. You have everyone telling you constantly how amazing it is, when in my reality it's not much different than what we've had before. In some case it's worse.

emphasis on the "idiot"?
Quote from JPeace :Everyone has an opinion, mate.

640x480 -> 800x600 = better
800x600 -> 1024x768 = Yeah!
1024x768 -> 1280x800 = details are serious business, better.

640x480 -> 1920x1080 = no profit?
I'm Not arguing that hd is not a much more detailed and defined image. It sometimes is. I just think it doesn't actually improve the viewing experience all that much. There's a bit more detail, so what. SD is still perfectly watchable. This is coming from the owner of a couple of hd tvs and subscriber to an hd service.
I wish I could get a proper SD stream. What we currently have on freetoair is just a blurry mess with low bitrate and interlacing problems.
Quote from sinbad :I'm Not arguing that hd is not a much more detailed and defined image. It sometimes is. I just think it doesn't actually improve the viewing experience all that much. There's a bit more detail, so what. SD is still perfectly watchable. This is coming from the owner of a couple of hd tvs and subscriber to an hd service.

best post on the subject it's nice, it's an improvement but it's not a huge development, certainly compared to the improvement when broadcasts started switching from 405 line VHF to 625 line UHF in the UK (yes i do just about remember it )

i suspect a lot of views on HD depend upon just exactly what is / was the quality of the SD picture in the first place as differing countires have differing standards, especially those where the roll out to digital has accompanied HD so comparisons are being made with analogue pictures on standards such as NTSB.
-
(pasibrzuch) DELETED by pasibrzuch
Looks good tbh
Though the woman that speaks is the most annoying bitch ive ever heard

Edit: post nr 3000 :>

some shitty line drawing on the front wheel, like they asked a office clark to add it on last minute? XD

Formula One Season 2011
(1339 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG