The online racing simulator
Quote from tristancliffe :Actually, you can read some aspects of the display on some cars!!! But the HD move won't make a difference, as the onboard cameras are upscaled HD - it doesn't add any clarity on stuff like that as the cameras can't pick it up. Upscaling just guesses the data inbetween known pixels to make the image smoother, but it can't add information.

However, if they did move to proper HD (which they will at some point in the future) you would agree that you could see more details?
Perhaps. You might just see that the dashboard is in shadow slightly more clearly and still not be able to make out much more than gear, shiftlights and speed (which is what I can usually see).

And don't forget - I'm pro-HD for F1, not anti.
Quote from Intrepid :People have made such a fuss about this HD thing. Not once have I have thought "F1 would be better in slightly better detail". But for some deranged reason people spend thousands on TVs for this very purpose. You could test a freakin' good car for a day and have the time of your life for the price of slightly better TV quality. crazy world.

I completely agree. HD doesn't offer THAT much, all you get is super slo mo replays. That's the only benefit.
slomo has nothing to resolution. HD provides better quality.

better = better, isn't it?

I would watch F1 on 142" TV in ultra 3240p HD if I could, because it would be better
We are not obligated to take nowadays technology as 'good enough' just because F1 chief and camera/tv producers says it IS good enough.
I for one LOVE F1 in HD, it's just a photogenic eyefeast, can't wait till they put out Blue-ray Season Reviews.
As long as you can see what's happening on the track, why do you need to see it in HD? Doesn't make sense to me, I've never seen the point in HD, all it does is make objects seem so crisp that they look pixellated. If anything I see it as a step back, plus how you receive HD depends on what TV you have, some are better than others, where as normal TV, it doesn't matter really what TV you have, they will all pick out the same picture. Instead of translating it into their own realization of 'HD'.
Ant knows what hes talkin about, moveable rear wings should only be used to negate the dirty air concept, not an extra pass gimmick.
Quote from BlueFlame :As long as you can see what's happening on the track, why do you need to see it in HD? Doesn't make sense to me, I've never seen the point in HD, all it does is make objects seem so crisp that they look pixellated. If anything I see it as a step back, plus how you receive HD depends on what TV you have, some are better than others, where as normal TV, it doesn't matter really what TV you have, they will all pick out the same picture. Instead of translating it into their own realization of 'HD'.

Hey?

Seriously get your eyes tested or stay off the cones.
HD is more FPS, you don't notice a difference unless the video is being played back at unhuman speeds. Fact.

Theres nothing wrong with regular TV, I can still SEE the image, who cares what quality it is.
Quote from BlueFlame :HD is more FPS, you don't notice a difference unless the video is being played back at unhuman speeds. Fact.

Theres nothing wrong with regular TV, I can still SEE the image, who cares what quality it is.

HD is nothing to do with either Frames per second or First person shooters, it's just a resolution difference, either 1280x720 or 1920x1080. When compared to SDs pathetic 640x480, it is a massive difference. A film like the Dark Knight in 1080p is absolutely awesome and so much better than watching it in SD.

With your logic, you might aswell watch TV on a £10 5" TV, after all you are still seeing the same image, right?
the new fezza comming on friday... im interested on how it will look like.
They are complaining cos they dont have a good enough tv :>

I cant wait to watch the cars fly by in HD. Looking at Nascar in HD, it looks STUNNING and it'll problably look even better with F1
Quote from DeKo :
With your logic, you might aswell watch TV on a £10 5" TV, after all you are still seeing the same image, right?

If that's all you have, why not?

If it ain't broke don't fix it and for the record FPS = frames per second in this context, not first person shooter.
Quote from BlueFlame :If that's all you have, why not?

If it ain't broke don't fix it and for the record FPS = frames per second in this context, not first person shooter.

No shit, really? I seriously thought you were talking about first person shooters.

Why not? Because HD is ****ing awesome, that's why. Nascar and Indycar both look fantastic in HD, and F1 will aswell.
I think HD looks sweet at first, but when I go to watch a non-HD picture I really don't notice much of a difference. FYI: Our current TV is 26 years old.
Quote from Cornys :I think HD looks sweet at first, but when I go to watch a non-HD picture I really don't notice much of a difference. FYI: Our current TV is 26 years old.

Old TVs display SD images far far far better than modern HD TVs. That's why I think all this HD stuff is a fuss over nothing. For sure, move to HD, I won't make an objection, but it really isn't THAT much better than watching SD on a decent old TV. maybe it's how the old TVs project the images. I am sure the quality of SD on a HDTV is reduced deliberately.
Quote from Intrepid :Old TVs display SD images far far far better than modern HD TVs.

No. Just...no.
Intrepid is clearly full of shit, theres a pretty big difference imo, especially watching the football.
I don't think he is full of shit, although he biased against HD.

A good CRT will display a better SD image than an HD TV, simply because it doesn't have to upscale the image. If you have an HD TV then the difference between upscaled SD and native HD is very large and hence people think HD is massively better when it isn't really, they're just comparing two video streams using a device that's designed for the better source.
Quote from amp88 :No. Just...no.

I've done experiments on this. It's especially bad with the cheaper end of HDTVs. The SD quality is absolutely woeful compared to a 20 year old second hand SD TV.

A quick google search shows it's not-uncommon for people to complain about SD images on a HDTV - http://www.mozmar.com/why-does ... grainy-picture-22845.html

I am not sure about picture size being a problem. I watch DVDs on a projector that displays SD. We are talking something like projecting onto 100+ inch screen and the picture quality is absolutely fine. It's not a size thing that causes the issues.

While I am sure HD on a good HD TV is better, I find it amusing people are spending thousands on it when the benefit isn't worth the price difference. However a projector... is once u have a giant cinema in your front room going back to a tiny little 50inch TV just aint enough
Quote from BlueFlame :If that's all you have, why not?

Say my eyesight is terrible, what's the point in glasses? Who cares if everything is blurry and I can't make out much detail or read small text?

Muppet.

The extra detail and clarity which comes with HD is awesome, glad to see it in F1 now.

Quote from tristancliffe :I don't think he is full of shit, although he biased against HD.

A good CRT will display a better SD image than an HD TV, simply because it doesn't have to upscale the image. If you have an HD TV then the difference between upscaled SD and native HD is very large and hence people think HD is massively better when it isn't really, they're just comparing two video streams using a device that's designed for the better source.

I think it's more a case of CRT's have a tendency to blur or reduce the obviousness of poor quality artefacts etc that arise with lower bitrate SD TV. An LCD / Plasma TV seems to have such clarity over SD CRT's that it really shows up the artefacts more, and hence SD seems to look worse on an LCD / Plasma.

Edit: Not saying your argument is untrue, since that also applies.
A 26" 1080p TV didn't even cost me £200, it doesn't cost thousands for a decent HDTV.

And for me, the biggest benefit is with my PS3. The difference between SD and HD is absolutely massive, and once you have played on an HD TV you can't go back to playing on an SD TV anymore.

Also, I have my TV mounted on my wall, something which I couldn't do if it had 3 feet of TV behind the screen, which all SD tv's do. Every single new TV is HD ready, are you suggesting people go out of there way to find a shitty ancient huge TV just for a slightly better SD picture?

Formula One Season 2011
(1339 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG