The online racing simulator
Noisy rear brakes
(6 posts, started )
Noisy rear brakes
The rear brakes on my car ('99 Focus) have started making a rubbing noise when I press them. It's not hugely lound and disappears after 2 or 3 minutes of driving. They don't seem to have lost braking power at all, it's just the noise. I'm guessing they're drum brakes, being the rears on an old, cheap car, although I've not bothered to have a look to check yet.

It had new brake fluid, cylinders and shoes about a month ago, for the MOT.

Is this something to worry about or is it just something like damp in them that dries out after a bit of use?
If it had new cylinders and shoes then they are drums.

A noise can be caused by a host of things, temperature can be one of those things. But pop open the drums and have a poke around, normally the fault will slap you in the face.
#3 - DeKo
It's pretty normal, although I have no experience with Focus', Vauxhalls are notorious for the handbrake sticking on, and it makes the same kinda rumbling sound for the first couple of minutes and then goes away. I wouldn't worry about it, if it's had new shoes recently it's not a problem.
Quote from DeKo :It's pretty normal, although I have no experience with Focus', Vauxhalls are notorious for the handbrake sticking on, and it makes the same kinda rumbling sound for the first couple of minutes and then goes away. I wouldn't worry about it, if it's had new shoes recently it's not a problem.

Lmao mine does that. A nice clunk when I pull away after leaving the handbrake on (probably doesn't help it's parked on a hill so has to be on quite firm) and then a sort of gravely, rubbing sound when brakes are first applied which goes away after a few applications. Not overly concerned as they don't rub (or if they do it's a small amount, as car coasts and rolls fine) and braking performance is fine.
#5 - mr_x
Don't worry about it mate, my 2003 Focus with drum brakes on the back does the same thing for first couple of presses of the pedal, had the car nearly 3 years and they still work fine, had them checked over a couple of years ago and all fine then too. It's usually worse when it's a damp or cold day, on warm days it doesn't do it as often.
Excellent, that's a relief, thanks guys

Noisy rear brakes
(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG